If Canada had a new federal party called the Centrist Party of Canada

ccen

Let us say that the party was a successor to the Progressive Conservative party and was a blue liberal and red tory party that aimed to lower taxes but be socially compassionate in the British tradition and aimed to increase voter intention and work in the tradition of Sir John A. MacDonald would that cause a lot of people in the two major parties to switch to this party?

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let us say that the party was a successor to the Progressive Conservative party and was a blue liberal and red tory party that aimed to lower taxes but be socially compassionate in the British tradition and aimed to increase voter intention and work in the tradition of Sir John A. MacDonald would that cause a lot of people in the two major parties to switch to this party?

What does socially compassionate in the British tradition mean? Neo Thatcherism? Watt Tyler?

What does work in the tradition of John A. mean? Slightly less than sober most of the time?

...and to answer you question, we already have two parties that are blue liberal and red tory...so no..

What socially compassionate in the British tradition means is that we would be one nation conservative and wanting to respect our opponents and make sure that voter intention increases.

We would be conservative in the Burkean tradition.

Edited by ccen

You liked Morris' post so much you repeated it.

I'm not sure why anybody would be attracted to this party if their political stature was in between two parties that are already very close in ideology, both with a long history and power base that, together, dwarfs anything else in Canada.

If you still think it's a good idea, though, I have some CokePepsi I'd like to sell you.

Edited by Michael Hardner

The kind of party me and a lot of guys are starting is a successor and what is wrong with wanting to make sure there is a third moderate party that is between the two major parties that gives Canadians another choice. In fact in Great Britain those three parties are very close ideologically and they are around the centre. I say that if it gives another choice and the Canadian people want change since there is stagnant leadership and it is positive and wants to maintain our social programs and wants to focus on priorities and aiming to reduce the debt and deficit I say it is good and most Canadian would be for it. The fact of the matter is most Canadians hate the Liberals and vote Conservative to stop the Liberals. That is the fact and I know Atlantic Canadians who just vote Conservative because there is no other alternative.

In fact in Great Britain those three parties are very close ideologically and they are around the centre.

You may be talking about the Liberal Democrats, who were launched a few decades after the collapse of the Liberals in the UK. They haven't really got anybody excited, though. Wikipedia says they hold about 10% of the # of seats that Conservatives plus Labour holds.

Well the point is most Canadians agree the Bloc Quebecois, the NDP and the Greens are on the fringes and even though they may change they will always be viewed that way. We are almost fully established and even though you think me bringing up this topic is a joke it is not and most Canadians don't vote for a reason.

Why don't you answer why 46 to 49% of Canadians choose to stay home and then you can come back to me?

Edited by ccen

Where's your website with all the platforms listed and described? I try not to go for a party that "me and a lot of guys" are throwing together without at least a humble website in place. Heck, even a splash page would do at this point.

URL please.

What you don't also understand is the Conservatives are neoconservative and not moderate conservative which there is no party in Canada that is moderate conservative like in the rest of the world. In fact that is the alternative we would offer. Also, we would say we are the party of Sir John A. MacDonald and say that we want to stand up for parliamentary democracy which means working together and compromising on the issues and we would fight for fiscal conservatism, social progress and a balanced approach to the issues of the day.

Well we are at the point where we need about of the 250 electors we have 25 so far and we need one more officer and a president but so far we have the other things which are the leader, vice-leader, 2 officers, an agent and an auditor.

The website is on http://www.centristparty.piczo.com/?cr=5.

Good luck with your party. I am willing to bet you won't make it out of the blocks. By the way do you recall the name of the political party Mel Hurtig created during the Trudeau era?

Well the point is most Canadians agree the Bloc Quebecois, the NDP and the Greens are on the fringes ...

Well....one out of three anyway.

Bloc are not a fringe party in Quebec...nor is any party that can send multiple members to the House.

Now if you want to talk about fringe parties...there is this new one that a bunch of guys are talking about...

Did you even read the platform page that I set up and the issues that were brought up. I thought long and hard with the people who are currently trying to help set up this party. We would be tough on crime and be compassionate and be about protecting our north, our border and our coasts but be peacemakers and be about peacekeeping.

Did you even read the platform page that I set up and the issues that were brought up. I thought long and hard with the people who are currently trying to help set up this party. We would be tough on crime and be compassionate and be about protecting our north, our border and our coasts but be peacemakers and be about peacekeeping.

Your page doesn't come up. You need a web master.

Also one important thing to give people on here the reason I wish to create this party is not to make more parties but to actually give the Canadian public a chance to actually vote for something and not vote against someone else which politics is turning into today.

Politics has become so partisan that anything will be used as a wedge issue or a chance at dividing the Canadian public but I say no more.

Seems like sort of a one man show right now.

Keep at it, and I'll check back in a few years when it's grown a bit, if it has.

I have tried to get crusades going myself - to get people excited about open government, pushing for healthcare information, which should be a lot easier. It's tough, though.

All I am asking for regarding this topic is for opinions from all sides because I know a lot of people who are open to a new party like this and they tell me if a party came out with these viewpoints then they would switch and possibly vote for this party.

Are you going to promise to get the government off people's backs while jumping up and down on them at the same time?

In other words are you going to talk about legalizing pot at the same time you're passing legislation that further criminalizes it?

A simple yes or no will speak volumes to this particular issue not to mention completely illuminate your party's ability to maintain a consistent principle in a flash.