Canada's Freedom of Information Laws -> DEAD LAST

Toronto Star

The Canadian Press

OTTAWA—A new study ranks Canada dead last in an international comparison of freedom-of-information laws — a hard fall after many years being judged a global model in openness.

The study by a pair of British academics looked at the effectiveness of freedom-of-information laws in five parliamentary democracies: Australia, New Zealand, Ireland, the United Kingdom and Canada.

New Zealand placed first and Canada last.

The fact that this is getting play is important to me: it provides some kind of confirmation of my impression that Canada is lagging behind the UK government (who are actually doing something on Open Government initiatives) and US government (who are talking seriously about it).

We should be talking about our lack of interest in monitoring the government, in my opinion. It's a shame.

Related:

Hill Times calls for more open government.

Will 2011 be the year ?

Hill Times

It's time for a more open government and an 'opendata.gc.ca'

Making as much government data available to the public as possible through a searchable online free of charge site at 'opendata.gc.ca' seems to be the current hip flavour for making transparent government happen.

I think most Canadian wouldn't be surprised by this, after all, the Tories cut the long census to curb information from being collected and they have tried several times to stop information from getting out.Give the Tories the majority Harper would probably make a law against TV news.

I think most Canadian wouldn't be surprised by this, after all, the Tories cut the long census to curb information from being collected and they have tried several times to stop information from getting out.Give the Tories the majority Harper would probably make a law against TV news.

Cough, cough, cough...

ahem....

This is one issues in which the Liberals and Conservatives are in agreement - keep the data under the covers. See Dalton McGuinty if you're not convinced...

What say indeed, I guess I didn't think you were that interested in deep transparency.

I am... but it's all relative. I don't want to chain video cameras to people, but I want all departments to publish on the web:

1. What they do

2. How well they do it

3. What they cost

Does that sound like too much to ask ?

Then why does the Canadian Institute for Health Info NOT publish national ER waiting time statistics ? They have the data.

I am... but it's all relative. I don't want to chain video cameras to people, but I want all departments to publish on the web:

1. What they do

2. How well they do it

3. What they cost

Then why does the Canadian Institute for Health Info NOT publish national ER waiting time statistics ? They have the data.

They obviously have something they want to hide. Try chaining a few cameras to the people at or near the top. I bet you'd have your answer in no time.

They obviously have something they want to hide. Try chaining a few cameras to the people at or near the top. I bet you'd have your answer in no time.

My solution is so very much easier, and yet already very difficult to implement.

That makes your camera idea pretty much impossible.

1. What they do

2. How well they do it

3. What they cost

Ah, and here I thought you were talking about Freedom of Information Laws, but instead you are looking for post everything on the web laws. Priorities, priorities. They have to make their platform accessible first.

Jodhan v. Canada (Attorney General)

Not to mention updating the teleconnunications infrastructure.

However, most of what you seek is available on the web already is it not? Departmental mandates, reports, budgets from Treasury Board, etc. Other than web based information, is there anything else you need?

Ah, and here I thought you were talking about Freedom of Information Laws, but instead you are looking for post everything on the web laws. Priorities, priorities. They have to make their platform accessible first.

Jodhan v. Canada (Attorney General)

Not to mention updating the teleconnunications infrastructure.

However, most of what you seek is available on the web already is it not? Departmental mandates, reports, budgets from Treasury Board, etc. Other than web based information, is there anything else you need?

Yes, I need performance data, including budgetary data. They are indeed related as Canada is generally satisfied with poor government responsiveness. Some things are on the web, but Canada lags behind.

Yes, I need performance data, including budgetary data. They are indeed related as Canada is generally satisfied with poor government responsiveness. Some things are on the web, but Canada lags behind.

Well, they lag behind in accessibility as well, not to mention infrastructure. However, what you may determine as performance data, others - bureaucrats - might not.

Here's the thing though, the information you are looking for - I believe - is already on the web if you want to go get it. Is there something in particular that isn't on the web that you have searched for, but couldn't locate?

Well, they lag behind in accessibility as well, not to mention infrastructure. However, what you may determine as performance data, others - bureaucrats - might not.

Here's the thing though, the information you are looking for - I believe - is already on the web if you want to go get it. Is there something in particular that isn't on the web that you have searched for, but couldn't locate?

National ER stats come to mind...

There are definitely other examples.