kindergarten guitar prodigy

wyly

wow! As great as that was, I'm left wondering where her talents may take her... what eventual style and music genre she might gravitate towards.

as she lives in N Korea I doubt she'll be playing anything but classical, I can't see rock being acceptable...a had one guitar teacher tell me kids can't play classical until they were about 12 because their hands/fingers were too small to reach around the neck, this little tyke destroyed that myth...more than a few seasoned guitar players I've shown this to were in awe of her talent...
on a completely different level/degree of wow factor, this is getting some recent play - coming soon to a theatre near you:
didn't work for me I'll try it later on you tube... maybe the window here was to small for the effect to work...

Looks fake to me
Which? The Korean guitar kid or the BMW ad?

----

Training kids to play music is older than Mozart and despite the ambition to produce another Mozart, the parents usually just wind up with another performing monkey and a very unhappy adult.

With that said, I am always impressed when a child (or a computer) is trained to duplicate true human emotion. I'm similarly impressed with politicians/managers who accomplish this. It's amazing to watch.

As to the BMW ad, I understand the principle but it didn't work for me. Maybe it was the youtube video version.

Let me put it this way, from what I know about computers and the internet these days, I'd have to see it with my own eyes to believe it. Otherwise you can pretty much assume its just another fake

well the girl isn't faked so I can only assume you're talking about the BMW add...while it didn't work for me it could be the small size of the screen... there are a number of interesting natural visual phenomena, how our brain nicely fills the eyes blind spot, why if you stare at a long time at yellow screen it turns blue...

I've seen more amazing visual tricks in person than that - GM Pavilion Expo 86 I still can't figure it out and I was in the front row...

well the girl isn't faked so I can only assume you're talking about the BMW add...while it didn't work for me it could be the small size of the screen... there are a number of interesting natural visual phenomena, how our brain nicely fills the eyes blind spot, why if you stare at a long time at yellow screen it turns blue...

You need to view it with all the equipment for it set up for it to work. The dim and slow-changing light from the glowing crystals in your screen cannot accomplish the same effect as the rapid high-intensity flash used on the subject group in the video.

Training kids to play music is older than Mozart and despite the ambition to produce another Mozart, the parents usually just wind up with another performing monkey and a very unhappy adult.

With that said, I am always impressed when a child (or a computer) is trained to duplicate true human emotion. I'm similarly impressed with politicians/managers who accomplish this. It's amazing to watch.

Did the girl create a wonderfully expressive musical performance? Or was it a completely mechanical reproduction of some other artist's wonderfully expressive performance?

When a computer plays chess, is it actually playing chess, or just solving a series of mathematical equations?

As to the BMW ad, I understand the principle but it didn't work for me. Maybe it was the youtube video version.

I'm assuming your computer monitor probably isn't bright enough to burn an after-image into your rods-and-cones.

-k

Did the girl create a wonderfully expressive musical performance? Or was it a completely mechanical reproduction of some other artist's wonderfully expressive performance?

When a computer plays chess, is it actually playing chess, or just solving a series of mathematical equations?

I wondered the same thing, I showed the video to some accomplished guitar professionals and amateurs I asked them the same question...they all said she was very good technically and expressive, she feels the music...

because expert guitarists, people who make their living with the instrument tell me it's genuine, not the opinion of a forum wannabe... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

To me it looked like everything her hands were doing on the strings matched perfectly with the music. It seems like teaching the kid to sync her hands that closely to the music would be more difficult than teaching her to play it herself.

I mean, you can see her fingers on the strings. This isn't the Piano Playing Cat we're talking about.

-k

I've been playing guitar for 4-5 years now, about as long as that girl has been alive, and she destroys me in technical skill.

She is amazing, but somebody that young (or anybody really) just doesn't pick up a guitar and start playing. She has put in an insane amount of practice. Assuming she might have started playing in any meaningful way at around 3 y/o, her parents have probably forced her to practice many hours a day, everyday, to get that good that fast. This is probably the result of over-zealous parents and a talented kid who doesnt get to go outside and play very much.

Also, there's no way she wrote that song. She likely took someone else's piece and memorized it. But the technique is fantastic. She's barring all 6 strings with her tiny hand, something adults have trouble doing. And she is finger-picking nicely, a tough skill in itself.

To me it looked like everything her hands were doing on the strings matched perfectly with the music. It seems like teaching the kid to sync her hands that closely to the music would be more difficult than teaching her to play it herself.

I mean, you can see her fingers on the strings. This isn't the Piano Playing Cat we're talking about.

-k

exactly, when I first it I thought it was faked but I've seen it a number of times on full screen and watched her fingers carefully and she's hitting all the right strings at the precise moment...

I've been playing guitar for 4-5 years now, about as long as that girl has been alive, and she destroys me in technical skill.

we shouldn't be surprised there have been other prodigies but we usually see them on piano or violin...I showed my son the video he's been playing for 2 years and is coming along nicely, he turned to me and said "are you trying to make me feel bad?" :( ...not the response I was looking for, I thought he would be encouraged
She is amazing, but somebody that young (or anybody really) just doesn't pick up a guitar and start playing. She has put in an insane amount of practice. Assuming she might have started playing in any meaningful way at around 3 y/o, her parents have probably forced her to practice many hours a day, everyday, to get that good that fast. This is probably the result of over-zealous parents and a talented kid who doesnt get to go outside and play very much.
possibly she's in one of those state schools where all the focus is on sports or music 8-10 hrs a day, I hope not she could burn out mentally or physically...
Also, there's no way she wrote that song. She likely took someone else's piece and memorized it. But the technique is fantastic. She's barring all 6 strings with her tiny hand, something adults have trouble doing. And she is finger-picking nicely, a tough skill in itself.
the tune comes from a children's tv show...one guitar teacher told me my son at 10 was to young to play classical that his hands were to small, this little tyke disproves that...what floored me is when she started drumming on the guitar, she was amazing as it was then to throw in another level of complexity... :o

-k

Not quite. I've been playing the guitar a long time and there's some things I see there that don't quite make sense. However, a lot of it does look right.

But tven if the hands are right, that doesn't necessarily mean it's not fake. Digital and imaging technology can do anything. Eg. put your face on someone elses body. In fact she might not even be real at all...

Not quite. I've been playing the guitar a long time and there's some things I see there that don't quite make sense. However, a lot of it does look right.

But tven if the hands are right, that doesn't necessarily mean it's not fake. Digital and imaging technology can do anything. Eg. put your face on someone elses body. In fact she might not even be real at all..

one of my kids works with digital imaging technology so I see how much work is involved and that's a lot of time and effort for a 3 minute video and no profit motive...

one of my kids works with digital imaging technology so I see how much work is involved and that's a lot of time and effort for a 3 minute video and no profit motive...

If it makes you feel good to believe it, that's fine. I choose not to. There are some things in the video that lead me to this doubt.

And even if it were true, what is this video really about? Is this a video of a nice little girl who plays the guitar? No, it's not. Nothing even close to that...

And even if it were true, what is this video really about? Is this a video of a nice little girl who plays the guitar? No, it's not. Nothing even close to that...

What is it about, then? North Korean nationalism?

-k

What is it about, then? North Korean nationalism?
Kimmy, you have clearly never met or worked with a successful politician, or CEO.

In public, they give the appearance of true emotion - just like this child pianist appears to play with emotion.

There are 6 billion people in the world, some 30 million in Canada. IME, the people at the federal cabinet table, or more likely in a cabinet minister's office, were remarkable for their ambition. The good ones appeared normal to me.

• 2 weeks later...

What exactly in the video makes you doubt its authenticity?

I'm thinking it's denial based in envy...it's got to hurt when someone spend years playing guitar thinking they're really accomplished and then along comes a 5-6 year old and plays at a level that they could only dream of attaining...

a Korean teacher told me of prodigy who played as guest with the Seoul Philharmonic Orchestra, a member of the orchestra (mid 40's) who played the same instrument (piano I believe) retired immediately afterwards, he didn't see the point of performing anymore since a 10-12 yr old already far surpassed him...

I'm thinking it's denial based in envy...it's got to hurt when someone spend years playing guitar thinking they're really accomplished and then along comes a 5-6 year old and plays at a level that they could only dream of attaining...

Yes that and an odd cack handed sense of self aggrandisement-he thinks he knows something we don't and that makes him someone special-much more special than a run-of-the-mill prodigy.

Sharing this precious knowledge with the peons here would spoil his aura of exclusivity.