Harper becomes rocker at Xmas party

Topaz

I stopped listening to the Q a very long time ago, it is a joke - you could set your watch by their rotation. Luckily, we have a station here in the Shwa, 94.9 'The Rock' that started out with some interesting playlists and they play some offbeat stuff regularly. I mean Dave "Mars Bar" Marsden even has his own 'Theatre' on Saturday nights. I believe I have even heard Travers and Troiano on The Rock from time to time. Even Frank Marino still gets airplay.

However, the iPod is the main tunes source nowadays for sure.

The "set your watch by their rotation" comment is fairly common of Q107, in fact I had a guy here in the summer doing some work that went on a rant about it, it was pretty funny.

Good cartoon in THE RED STAR (there you go guys) this morning in the opinion section....

http://media.thestar.topscms.com/images/5b/30/e1a8b7d642b4b90651fcfef22adf.jpeg

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's because Q,because of Cancon rules,has to play groups like Goddo and Big Sugar to fulfill the requirements...This leaves little room to play really good B-Sides...
Why don't Canadian "B-sides" and album cuts fulfill CanCon requirements?

Why don't Canadian "B-sides" and album cuts fulfill CanCon requirements?

They do, of course! It's just that takes a bit more effort. Much easier to just take a canned package of CanCon material with good "numbers" and just play it over and over again. The station buys one CanCon playlist and that's all they ever spend to keep legal with their Canadian percentage. All the rest of their money and attention goes into the other 70% or whatever.

There's an excellent site called http://209.217.127.248/clientsites/letsfixcancon/ that has been addressing this issue for some years. The man who is the prime mover spent his career with "numbers" outfits like BBM and other ratings people. He has a good handle on how CanCon long ago stopped helping new Canadian talent and has just become a royalty bucket for Canadian old guys.

He has some excellent suggestions, like a point system that gives extra points for playing a new artist with only a regional label, or even no label at all! Or megapoints for doing remotes like in the old days, where the station sets up a feed from a club and broadcasts a live performance of a local Canadian artist.

You might want to check it out.

Yeah Pik, fuck personal freedom and world peace, and all those drug addict sentiments. What we need is an authoritarian dick-tator who will cater to the already wealthy, and kill more brown people in third world countries.

Heil Harper!

Do you have anything else stupid to say? I don't think you could top your last garbage post. You are not even worthy to live on the same planet that Lennon lived on.

Fuck john lennon, I work for a living and work hard. Kill brown people, lets remember who got us into this war , but lets get back to your god lennon, like I said he was nothing but a drug addict, that was probably responsible for others screwing thier live up, world fucking peace ,give ne a break ,we have never had world peace nor will we ever, we are humans ,either making war or conning people. Sure lennon produce some good music and thank god he could or otherwise he would be living on the streets ,but he had losers like you to make him rich and keep those drugs flowing. No wonder your view of the world is so screwed, how much a a brain do you have left.

how much a a brain do you have left.

More than you do obviously. 1000 of you would not benefit mankind as much as 1 John Lennon did, even though his life was cut short and your life will probably continue to putrify this world for many years to come. He was no more of an "addict" than anyone who regularly has a beer or takes prescription drugs. Lennon's drug use certainly had no negative impact on his ability to be successful, despite assholes like you who condemn him for his personal lifestyle choices.

More than you do obviously. 1000 of you would not benefit mankind as much as 1 John Lennon did, even though his life was cut short and your life will probably continue to putrify this world for many years to come. He was no more of an "addict" than anyone who regularly has a beer or takes prescription drugs. Lennon's drug use certainly had no negative impact on his ability to be successful, despite assholes like you who condemn him for his personal lifestyle choices.

Lennon became a joke.

Check this out. This is real intensity. Live from Moscow...1991.

This is music Dr Greenthumb...enjoy! Language of the mad.

Edited by lukin

He was no more of an "addict" than anyone who regularly has a beer or takes prescription drugs. Lennon's drug use certainly had no negative impact on his ability to be successful, despite assholes like you who condemn him for his personal lifestyle choices.

Aside from his heroin addition and his 5 year hiatus lying in bed just like Brian Wilson did..

Really I condemn assholes like you that take these losers and make a god out of them and there is only one god and I would bet his name is not john lennon. You and many got taken by a snake oil salesmen.

Really I condemn assholes like you that take these losers and make a god out of them and there is only one god and I would bet his name is not john lennon. You and many got taken by a snake oil salesmen.

This reminds me of Kurt Cobain's suicide. I remember being at university at the time and seeing people holding candles on the side of the road, depressed because Cobain killed himself. I was a Nirvana fan, but these losers holding the candles were simply....well........MAJOR losers. Crying because a drug addict killed himself.

There's an excellent site called http://209.217.127.248/clientsites/letsfixcancon/ that has been addressing this issue for some years. The man who is the prime mover spent his career with "numbers" outfits like BBM and other ratings people. He has a good handle on how CanCon long ago stopped helping new Canadian talent and has just become a royalty bucket for Canadian old guys.

He has some excellent suggestions, like a point system that gives extra points for playing a new artist with only a regional label, or even no label at all! Or megapoints for doing remotes like in the old days, where the station sets up a feed from a club and broadcasts a live performance of a local Canadian artist.

I read that excellent link. A few nitpicks.

One, during the early 1970's when CanCon was established Gordon Lightfoot, Ian Tyson and Sylvia Fricker a/k/a/ Ian & Sylvia, the Guess Who, Anne Murray, Joni Mitchell and Neil Young, among others, were regulars on the U.S. pop and album charts.

And two, Blue Rodeo, for example, is somewhat known stateside. I, for one, am a regular at their concerts. Many of their fans though at the New York City concerts are Canadian so I bring a Canadian language translator with me.

1000 of you would not benefit mankind as much as 1 John Lennon did...
From the Dakota Apartments and the back of a chaufferred limousine he "Imagined" no possessions? Rich of him. Yes he made millions in the process.

even though his life was cut short and your life will probably continue to putrify this world for many years to come...despite assholes like you who condemn him for his personal lifestyle choices.

Boy you're emotional about a screen name and bytes of data.

This reminds me of Kurt Cobain's suicide. I remember being at university at the time and seeing people holding candles on the side of the road, depressed because Cobain killed himself. I was a Nirvana fan, but these losers holding the candles were simply....well........MAJOR losers. Crying because a drug addict killed himself.

It is tragic and awful when people kill themselves. Their drug addictions don't make it more palatable, exdept maybe to the more sociopathic side of us.

I do agree with you about the hero worship, however. Just criticize other icons--say, Reagan--and watch the tantrums fly by the sycophants. :) (It is funny, I'll grant you....)

I'm surprised that Harper never sang "hound dog" and turned himself into Elvis! Can you imagine Harper trying to sing like Elvis! LOLlol!!

He could pull off Elvis Costello though, Watching the Detectives and all... :)

He could pull off Elvis Costello though, Watching the Detectives and all... :)

Or pull off a great Ringo Starr (though at the piano) singing something like "With a Little Help From my Friends"? Oh that would be too funny.

They do, of course! It's just that takes a bit more effort. Much easier to just take a canned package of CanCon material with good "numbers" and just play it over and over again. The station buys one CanCon playlist and that's all they ever spend to keep legal with their Canadian percentage. All the rest of their money and attention goes into the other 70% or whatever.

Thanks, interesting reading. :)

-k

<SIDEBAR!>

Learn to finger pick with as many fingers as is comfortable right from the get-go. It might slow your learning down a bit, but you will really, really appreciate it later.

</SIDEBAR!>

Thanks for the tip. :)

Looks pretty complicated... I am still working on the basics. I can almost change between open chords without losing time now, and have basic strum kind of under control. My plan is to learn a barre chord next, and then I'll give finger picking a look.

-k

Thanks for the tip. :)

Looks pretty complicated... I am still working on the basics. I can almost change between open chords without losing time now, and have basic strum kind of under control. My plan is to learn a barre chord next, and then I'll give finger picking a look. -k

BTW - congrats on picking up the guitar! More music makes for a better world.

Or pull off a great Ringo Starr (though at the piano) singing something like "With a Little Help From my Friends"? Oh that would be too funny.

He already did.

I know. I was kidding.

Maybe have a cello accompaniament. Maybe Yo Yo Ma