Before Moving To Canada....

Yup. It would be stupid to issue broad generalizations against a whole race of people based on stupid stereotypes like "African Americans are inarticulate" etc. Almost as stupid as taking one Americans exerience in Canada and applying to a country of 30 million people.

Canadians that buy into these sorts of over generalizations about Americans are dullards that dont know how to think objectively or honestly. The exact same kind of people that would form an opinion about Canadas level of tolerance and civility based on one Americans bad experience here. :)

I think BC is bright enough to see the point. He's also aware of the implications of accepting it.:)

...Does it provide you with any thoughts wrt how an unnecessarily flattering perspective of another group of people can be just as limiting as a negative one?

No...the op-ed you linked is part of a continuing US narrative that predates the actual event. As I have already stated, patronizing attitudes can be more of a problem than outright insults. Realizing it is not your purpose to delve into the nuts and bolts of "inarticulate blacks" (American or otherwise), neither approach is limiting except to the holder(s) of such views. In this example, Barack Obama still became President of the United States.

This group is too diverse for such alliances...sniping is common. My membership as a "yank" and unapologetic style irks some who would prefer an open mike without interference from any American, let alone an arrogant bastard such as I.

I cant speak for others but I don't think it's because you're a "yank". Being from wisconsin or wherever is not intimidating to a torontonian or montrealer, etc.

Quaint notions....not a primary objective. As stated earlier, I was more intrigued by the way you parsed "blacks" from "Americans", when clearly that is an imprecise way to relate the stereotype. The rest follows...

Debate without honesty is just a series of liars, lying to each other.

I didn't parse black from american anymore than you did québecois from 'rest of canada'.

I hope so...black is black...even in Canada!

I could extend to say that ethnic difference carries value, but the historical 'nuance' of slavery does feed into the american anxiety differently than it does here. Africville is evidence that things sucked here for blacks, too, but differently than it did for americans.

Keep it light...save some powder for the next volley.

reference my second point above. And Andrew Lang.