MacKay Jumping Ship Also?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/at-pivotal-moment-for-military-mackay-is-grilled-about-his-future/article1794500/

Stephen Harper is facing a dilemma. He has to take major decisions on Defence, both at home and abroad, over the coming weeks and months.

And yet his Defence Minister, Peter MacKay, spent part of Wednesday evening fending off questions as to whether he has had talks with a Bay Street law firm to quit the government early in the new year.

At a Toronto charity dinner for military families Wednesday evening, Mr. MacKay rejected the suggestion that he was thinking about jumping ship, despite reports from credible sources that such conversations have taken place.

“I've got the best job in this country and I'm thrilled to be here,” the Defence Minister told reporters. “I have no plans to leave this job.”

He declined to answer further queries, including whether he was in talks with Gowling Lafleur Henderson LLP – the firm in question.

Instead, Mr. MacKay silently walked away.

"MacKay Jumping Ship Also?"

Clearly he is not.

But Belinda Stronach did. TWICE.

IF he cares about his pension, I would think he has to stay until put in his time. That's the down side of these pensions, people come and stay until they are able to get their pensions at 55 , then move on to other jobs outside of the government.

Prentice, now rumours of MacKay, seems to be a rift forming in the caucus down old party lines.

Looks like you read too much of The National Enquirer (or is it Toronto Star?)

From your first post:

“I've got the best job in this country and I'm thrilled to be here,” the Defence Minister told reporters. “I have no plans to leave this job.”

Looks like you read too much of The National Enquirer (or is it Toronto Star?)

From your first post:

Perhaps Mr. McKay has other reasons for visiting a Toronto law firm such as legal advice on war crimes, or some other situation. Someone in the government consulting a lawyer might be a positive or negative sign depending on how you look at it.

I'm not aware of Mr McKay being a lawyer so I don't see how him looking for work there would make much sense.

However the resent veterans situations, war crimes in Afghanistan (after he is no longer a government minister) or consultations on other legal matters, would very much be very wise on his part.

Maybe it regards him illegally being a paid executive officer and MP at the same time, with monetary penalties for being such?

There could even be reasons for not consulting with the attorney general such as the matter being private instead of governmentally regarded OR even being a legal issue WITH the government...

Maybe maybe it was just for press or to deaden the impact of Mr. Pretence leaving cabinet..

I stand corrected, apparently he is a lawyer..

Edited by William Ashley

I dunno know if MacKay is jumping ship or jumping bones, but his latest date should make things interesting:

The beauty queen activist dating Peter MacKay

Her curriculum vitae might just be more impressive than his.

Afshin-Jam is a human-rights activist who devotes unpaid full-time hours to saving children in her native Iran from execution.

She has a degree in international relations and political science from the University of British Columbia, studied at the prestigious Institut dÉtudes Politiques de Paris and is working on a masters degree in diplomacy with a concentration in international conflict management.

She is fluent in English, French and Persian and speaks some Spanish too. She started flying planes when she was a teenager. She had a bit part in the movie sequel to Scooby Doo. And she is beautiful. No, really beautiful. She won contests for it.

Afshin-Jam immigrated with her family to North Vancouver, B.C., after having fled Iran for Spain when she was just a baby.

Maybe the ship he will end up on will be the Good Ship LPC?

Edited by Shwa

He is not jumping ship. He is actually walking the plank. It took the Prime Minister and his close advisors to figure out that this guy, although he looks presentable and can fake the role is actually a light weight - You can NOT have a light weight in the position of defense minister - He is not capable of defending himself let alone a nation.

I always thought that McKay being in a senior cabinet position was a sop to the old PC crowd that really had serious misgivings about the Western Reform movement...

If this is true,and McKay is being moved out via backdoor goings on,a pssible rift in that party could open.Frankly,I have very little sympathy for the likes of McKay,as he pulled this weasellike behaviour on David Orchard to gain leadership of the old Progressive Conservative party...

I always thought that McKay being in a senior cabinet position was a sop to the old PC crowd that really had serious misgivings about the Western Reform movement...

If this is true,and McKay is being moved out via backdoor goings on,a pssible rift in that party could open.Frankly,I have very little sympathy for the likes of McKay,as he pulled this weasellike behaviour on David Orchard to gain leadership of the old Progressive Conservative party...

I tend to think he's quitely being gently pushed out the door as well. The scuttlebutt over the dispute with the UAE is that MacKay was for a deal, Harper cut him out of negotiations completely. Could be bad will boiling over.

Totally agree.

Intriguing updates.

"Spat with UAE set back relations 10 years: MacKay"

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/ottawa-notebook/spat-with-uae-set-back-relations-10-years-mackay-tells-senator/article1803589/

Defence Minister Peter MacKay was overheard telling a Conservative senator Wednesday that Canada could have continued using a secret military base in the Middle East if Ottawa had granted a request for more landing airport slots to two United Arab Emirates airlines.

According to Astral Radio bureau chief Daniel Proussalidis, who witnessed and blogged the conversation on Toronto Newstalk 1010’s website, Mr. MacKay also told Senator Michael Meighen that the dispute – which saw Canada kicked off a military base in the UAE – set back relations with the Arab country by a decade.

Mr. Proussalidis said the incident unfolded outside Parliament Hill’s Centre Block Wednesday morning following a fire alarm that emptied the building and left journalists mixing with politicians outside.

He wrote on Newstalk 1010’s website that after he had introduced himself to Finance Minister Jim Flaherty and Senator Meighen, Mr. MacKay approached wearing a “Fly Emirates” baseball cap.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
“It was all small talk until Defence Minister Peter MacKay walked up and joined the conversation, wearing a red ‘Fly Emirates’ baseball cap on his head and a grin on his face,” Mr. Proussalidis wrote.

“As I stood with the group, Senator Meighen asked about the cap, and that’s when the conversation became interesting. MacKay joked that he wore the cap for [minister John] Baird,” he wrote.

So you'd rather the party be referred to as Reform?

Name doesn't mean much.

Liberals are anything but....

Like People's Republic is anything but Republic and anything but People's.

Btw, the Left does call CPC "Reform in disguise" :)

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/mackay-out-of-step-with-harper-on-uae/article1805296/

MacKay out of step with Harper on UAE

STEVEN CHASE

Defence Minister Peter MacKay appears to be testing Stephen Harper’s patience by straying offside on a dispute with an Arab military ally over a base that supplied Canada’s war effort in Afghanistan.

Ministers are expected to march in lockstep with cabinet and their prime minister once a government decision has been made. But this week, Mr. MacKay fell out of formation over a bilateral spat that ended with Canadian soldiers kicked out of a secret Mideast base after Mr. Harper refused to give the United Arab Emirates additional landing rights for its airlines in Canada.

On Thursday, one day after he was spotted wearing a “Fly Emirates” baseball cap in apparent defiance of Canada’s position – and overheard recounting the dispute’s costs – Mr. MacKay offered further thoughts on the matter, telling reporters that Ottawa has to mend relations with the UAE.

“We have some work to do in repairing the relationship with the United Arab Emirates,” he said. “Clearly the circumstances under which we left the base require, now, some work.”

Questions about the Defence Minister’s recent behaviour on this file followed Mr. MacKay on to the Prime Minister’s plane on Thursday as he left for a NATO meeting in Portugal – where he’ll be expected to stand shoulder to shoulder with Mr. Harper and Foreign Affairs Minister Lawrence Cannon. Topics at the Lisbon gathering will be, among other things, Canada’s decision to extend its military effort in Afghanistan.

The Defence Minister’s attention-grabbing conduct comes just one week after reports that in October, he discussed a job with a Bay Street law firm, Gowling Lafleur Henderson LLP. Mr. MacKay denies he’s leaving politics.

I noticed that when a rumour surfaced that Bob Rae was to trade his MP's seat for the Ambassadorhip to Israel, the Liberal friendly Torstar wasted no time in squelching the rumour.

Ask Bob Rae

A couple of days ago, we heard a rumour at the Star that Bob Rae was going to be appointed as ambassador to Israel. Being old-fashioned types, we decided to check before publishing.

Here's Rae's response: "Completely, utterly, and totally ridiculous. False, a lie, and a calumny. "

So we didn't write a story about it.

The end.

http://thestar.blogs.com/politics/2010/11/ask-bob-rae.html

Two days and the rumour was promptly discarded.

On the other hand, MacKay was asked more than once if he was leaving and he categorically said no but the media didn't let up and is still at it. Looks like their old-fashioned tried and true rumour stomping methods were not applied in MacKay's case. Go figure.

I noticed that when a rumour surfaced that Bob Rae was to trade his MP's seat for the Ambassadorhip to Israel, the Liberal friendly Torstar wasted no time in squelching the rumour.

http://thestar.blogs.com/politics/2010/11/ask-bob-rae.html

Two days and the rumour was promptly discarded.

On the other hand, MacKay was asked more than once if he was leaving and he categorically said no but the media didn't let up and is still at it. Looks like their old-fashioned tried and true rumour stomping methods were not applied in MacKay's case. Go figure.

Bob Rae was never in talks with anyone about a golden parachute. Bob Rae was never cut out of important negotiations directly involved with his file. Twice. He said he wasn't leaving politics but wouldn't answer questions about whether he's had negotiations with the law firms.

If those things had occured with Rae, I'd understand the point about a double standard. However, they didn't. So, this is nonsense, really.

If those things had occured with Rae, I'd understand the point about a double standard. However, they didn't. So, this is nonsense, really.

What "things" occur with anyone?

"The NDP election defeat in 1995 was conclusive, although Rae was personally re-elected in his riding. He resigned as leader and Member of Provincial Parliament (MPP) in 1996 and joined the law firm of Goodmans LLP."

http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.com/index.cfm?PgNm=TCE&Params=A1ARTA0006649