One of their own got caught?

Topaz

Tory, Andew Saxton, worked for a private bank back in 1994, where he transfered $199,975.00 for a RBC Securities client to a Swiss bank account. He is now, since 2008, the Parl.Sec to the Treasury Board. My question is, did he know what he was doing at the time and should be a Parl. Sec to the Treasury Board? I wondered if he told the BOSS before this was discovered? http://www.cbc.ca/money/story/2010/11/04/andrew-saxton-credit-suisse-tax-haven.html

Tory, Andew Saxton, worked for a private bank back in 1994, where he transfered $199,975.00 for a RBC Securities client to a Swiss bank account. He is now, since 2008, the Parl.Sec to the Treasury Board. My question is, did he know what he was doing at the time and should be a Parl. Sec to the Treasury Board? I wondered if he told the BOSS before this was discovered? http://www.cbc.ca/money/story/2010/11/04/andrew-saxton-credit-suisse-tax-haven.html

He worked for a bank. A customer wanted a bank transfer. He did his job.

What's the big deal here?

When you go to a bank and want a money transfer, is it expected that the bank officer grill you on what you intend to do with the money, or why you want the transfer?

Paul Martin and a lot of other Liberals have been salting money away in Swiss accounts for years! Why doesn't anyone go after whoever worked at their banks?

Another big stretch to make a story out of nothing by the Tory-hating CBC and friends like Topaz.

Tory, Andew Saxton, worked for a private bank back in 1994, where he transfered $199,975.00 for a RBC Securities client to a Swiss bank account.

This is a 16 year old transaction that Saxton processed in the performance of his duties, that did not involve his own money. Man, the depths the opposition will go to for faux scandals. And the likes of you fall for it hook, line and sinker.

I wondered if he told the BOSS before this was discovered?

If that worries you, you must also wonder if Ruby Dhalla provided her BOSS with a list of her clients as a chiropractor and whether any Liberals are on that list. :rolleyes:

So a man who aidedd and abbetted tax evasion is now working for the Treasury Board ISN'T news now?

The CRA does not allege that Saxton knew Taxpayer X was trying to evade taxes. But the tax agency believes the documents will reveal that's exactly what many Credit Suisse account holders were doing.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/money/story/2010/11/04/andrew-saxton-credit-suisse-tax-haven.html#ixzz14RaWpQCz

You like making wild accusations don't you, or do you have proof that CRA doesn't?

Care to retract your statement?

Edited by Alta4ever

He worked for a bank. A customer wanted a bank transfer. He did his job.

What's the big deal here?

When you go to a bank and want a money transfer, is it expected that the bank officer grill you on what you intend to do with the money, or why you want the transfer?

Paul Martin and a lot of other Liberals have been salting money away in Swiss accounts for years! Why doesn't anyone go after whoever worked at their banks?

Another big stretch to make a story out of nothing by the Tory-hating CBC and friends like Topaz.

You don't think working for a bank that he knew what the rules are and why people put there money in Swiss banks accounts? This has nothing to do with hating the Tories, Libs or NDP. Its about honesty! Its about doing the right thing and then being elected to a MP's job, knowing what the Treasury board is seeking out Canadians who hide their money, knowing that HE helped a Canadians do just that! IF Paul Martin is hiding money I'm sure the Treasury Board will find out and let ALL Canadians know BUT so far nothing about Paul Martin.

You don't think working for a bank that he knew what the rules are and why people put there money in Swiss banks accounts? This has nothing to do with hating the Tories, Libs or NDP. Its about honesty! Its about doing the right thing and then being elected to a MP's job, knowing what the Treasury board is seeking out Canadians who hide their money, knowing that HE helped a Canadians do just that! IF Paul Martin is hiding money I'm sure the Treasury Board will find out and let ALL Canadians know BUT so far nothing about Paul Martin.

Did you read your own link?

Hold on...she made an accustaion...no we are forced to prove her wrong..

Nope, just asking a question. As for the "she" business. I've clearly provided evidence to the contrary. Do you do it because you think it'll upset me? Are you really that immature? Considering on the other thread the only counter argument I've seen from you is about drowning Kittens, why don't I take a stabe at my "accusation" like you do and automatically assume it to be true. Without any proof, of course. However, at least I'm not a coward and will admit it.

Edited by nicky10013

Where is your proof? Serious charge aiding and abetting, a very slanderous statement Nicky would you like to clarify it.

Well, it depends. Aiding and abetting tax evasion may not even be a crime. If it is, you're right. In the end, all he did was transfer the money. In the end, no one can ever prove under our current legal regime that just transferring money does not indicate intent in the end because the only evidence of it ever happening is technical. So, if it is a crime, I retract what I said. Unlike others here I have no problem admitting I'm wrong.

Though, even some of the stupidest people know that if you want to launder money you go to the Grand Cayman or open up a Swiss account.

What's the one reason why people put money away in Swiss Bank Accounts...please don't tell me it's the interest rates....

Oh, I'm sure there's more than one reason to park funds offshore. Of course, the first one that came to my mind is yes, supposedly higher interest rates. The second one is wanting to hide assets from the spouse, especially if a divorce is imminent, or a shady businessman wanting to dupe a business co-owner. Regardless of the reason, I expect most of them get caught for tax evasion if they don't pay income tax to their home country. It appears this wasn't always the case, in the US anyways.

In the 1990s, promoters of offshore trusts went a little nuts with claims about how easy it was to evade taxes, largely because the IRS was defanged and hardly auditing anyone anymore.

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Taxes/AvoidAnAudit/TheHazardsOfHidingMoneyOverseas.aspx

So, if it is a crime, I retract what I said.

It's against the law to hide assets in order to evade taxes, whether done domestically or in a foreign country. In this MPs case, if he cautioned the client about the tax implications of the investment, IMO he has done his job. I expect that's exactly what he did. And as noted by others, the CRA has not alleged any wrongdoing on his part.

Oh, I'm sure there's more than one reason to park funds offshore. Of course, the first one that came to my mind is yes, supposedly higher interest rates. The second one is wanting to hide assets from the spouse, especially if a divorce is imminent, or a shady businessman wanting to dupe a business co-owner. Regardless of the reason, I expect most of them get caught for tax evasion if they don't pay income tax to their home country. It appears this wasn't always the case, in the US anyways.

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Taxes/AvoidAnAudit/TheHazardsOfHidingMoneyOverseas.aspx

Seems to me that a good way around it would be the government make it mandatory for bankers that deal with offshore accounts to give info to the government government. You can't open a domestic account without SIN information. There's no reason why it can't be done for overseas accounts either. With the small number of actual Swiss Accounts you can make them audit mandatory biennially.

It's against the law to hide assets in order to evade taxes, whether done domestically or in a foreign country. In this MPs case, if he cautioned the client about the tax implications of the investment, IMO he has done his job. I expect that's exactly what he did. And as noted by others, the CRA has not alleged any wrongdoing on his part.

Yep, but in the end just warning them that it's a crime to hide funds abroad in different accounts really accomplishes nothing, which is why it would be prudent to tie SIN numbers to foreign accounts.