Alberta supports random roadside breath tests

Alberta will side with Ottawa, if the Harper government wants to give police the power to conduct random roadside breath tests.

Unlike Checkstops, where police admit seasoned drinkers can slip through the net, adding an automatic breath test to the mix is seen as an overwhelmingly successful way to nab more drunk drivers.

My link

There is just no respect for freedom of movement any more. But what is more disturbing is that the majority probably support Harper's liberals as they ram one more piece of big brother in the name of safety down our throats following the 40 year trail blazed Progressive liberals and the Liberal liberals.

The Wildrose can't get elected fast enough.

We dont have random breath tests in BC but they just did a bunch of crackin down and gettin tough on people who have had 1-3 drinks. 5 of my towns restaurants have gone up for sale since the legislation was passed. You cant even have a glass of whine with dinner anymore without risking losing your license.

Im pretty much sick of it actually. I dont want drunks on the road anymore than anyone else, but theyre now targetting people who are just flat out not impaired. People in the .05-.07 range.

And for what? What was the evidence that we needed a crackdown? An increase in drunk driving deaths or injuries per capita? Nope... The motivation for it as far as I can tell is emotionalism. Groups like MADD use their dead children as a platform to lobby the government, and engage them constantly until the squeeky wheel gets the grease.

As for random breath tests... thats just more of the same horseshit.

Alberta will side with Ottawa, if the Harper government wants to give police the power to conduct random roadside breath tests.

Unlike Checkstops, where police admit seasoned drinkers can slip through the net, adding an automatic breath test to the mix is seen as an overwhelmingly successful way to nab more drunk drivers.

My link

There is just no respect for freedom of movement any more. But what is more disturbing is that the majority probably support Harper's liberals as they ram one more piece of big brother in the name of safety down our throats following the 40 year trail blazed Progressive liberals and the Liberal liberals.

Nope. Harper's faults cannot be laid at the feet of the evil "progressives."

He's responsible for his own actions. Period.

Edited by bloodyminded

We dont have random breath tests in BC but they just did a bunch of crackin down and gettin tough on people who have had 1-3 drinks. 5 of my towns restaurants have gone up for sale since the legislation was passed. You cant even have a glass of whine with dinner anymore without risking losing your license.

Im pretty much sick of it actually. I dont want drunks on the road anymore than anyone else, but theyre now targetting people who are just flat out not impaired. People in the .05-.07 range.

And for what? What was the evidence that we needed a crackdown? An increase in drunk driving deaths or injuries per capita? Nope... The motivation for it as far as I can tell is emotionalism. Groups like MADD use their dead children as a platform to lobby the government, and engage them constantly until the squeeky wheel gets the grease.

As for random breath tests... thats just more of the same horseshit.

I've got nothing to add to this. It just needs to be repeated- and repeated some more.

Nope. Harper's faults cannot be laid at the feet of the evil "progressives."

He's responsible for his own actions. Period.

Nope. All the Liberals are the same regardless of what they call their party. Everyone of them. There ain't a lick of difference between the average Liberal MP vs Conservative MP vs PC MP over the past 50 years.

Only discernible difference was Reform. Otherwise, once in power in Ottawa they are all the same. Even the Bloc.

There is just no respect for freedom of movement any more.

I agree completely... Unless you are suspected of committing (or witnessing) a crime, you should never be stopped. It is not the State's business where you are going or why....

I dont want drunks on the road anymore than anyone else, but theyre now targetting people who are just flat out not impaired. People in the .05-.07 range.

Yeah, our drunk-driving Premier is cracking down on people like himself (except he blew much higher than .05-.07. He was twice the legal limit... i.e. plastered). Ironic, no?

I have to agree that this is getting ridiculous. People are being punished for being responsible drivers and not drinking to excess if they are driving. That's asinine.

Dont donate a bloody penny to MADD.

They are behind this.

I would have no problem if there was zero tolerance for alcohol, but until then , stop these maddening incremental lowering bullshite.

I think I can have a glass of wine or two and not cause carnage on the roads on my way home...others can not...

we've already had this in alberta already just not officially, I've been pulled over on roadside checks and it's obvious the police are looking for drinkers when they lean in on your window for a sniff...

zero tolerance, I don't like it but it's already there for airline pilots, we don't tolerate it there why should we tolerate drinking drivers in cars...designated drivers are already part of our culture this wouldn't be a big leap...and it won't ruin my nights out I'll let mrs wyly drive home...

Edited by wyly

I agree. The legal limit in Ontario is 0.8. But you can get your license revoked/suspended and you can be charged for impairment at 0.5. How does that make any sense?

Nope. All the Liberals are the same regardless of what they call their party. Everyone of them. There ain't a lick of difference between the average Liberal MP vs Conservative MP vs PC MP over the past 50 years.

Except that you laid the blame squarely at the feet of the "progressive liberals and the Liberal liberals"...Harper was influenced by them, they are the evil genesis.

In other words: "the so-called conservatives are bad....but I blame their baleful influences."

Because, you know, conservatives cannot be responsible for anything...not even what they do.

Only discernible difference was Reform.

Yeah, those thunderstruck geniuses were something else, for sure.

Otherwise, once in power in Ottawa they are all the same. Even the Bloc.

I don't completely disagree. As Christopher Hitchens, presumably in a rare sober moment, commented lucidly on the American system (but it applies equally to us) they're "two buttocks on the same fat gentleman."

Of course, if Wildrose ever made it really big, they too would be exactly the same.

Edited by bloodyminded

I've been pulled over on roadside checks and it's obvious the police are looking for drinkers when they lean in on your window for a sniff...

When I was on the first tour of Bosnia we had a responsibility to ensure that the local civilian and military police in a war zone did not abuse their civil authority. What we allow currently in Canada, random roadside stops so police can visually inspect the readily visible contents of your vehicle, check your physical status through sniff test and observations and then confirm you are carrying identification papers for yourself, your passengers and the vehicle itself are all actually disallowed under international law.

We teach foreign authorities that these practices are not acceptable as they transition to a democracy and that everyone has the right to travel within their own country without requiring identification (try getting on a bus or airline in Canada as well), without interruption for random inspections and without being unduly detained.

But in Canada we have grown so lethargic to our freedoms they have become meaningless. Whenever someone throws out the consideration that the restriction imposed is in the name of "safety or tolerance" we are supposed to surrender it without further protest.

If drinking and driving is a problem set the rate at .01 and take away a persons right to drive for life on a first offence, but don't piss around with my personal liberty in order that the hard choices don't have to be made.

I wonder if I will every live long enough that some thud from a place like Chad will be here lecturing Canadians on the principles of democracy. Could happen I suppose, look at how all the priests, ministers and missionaries for a variety of religions are now coming out of Africa to re-evangelize Europe.

When I was on the first tour of Bosnia we had a responsibility to ensure that the local civilian and military police in a war zone did not abuse their civil authority. What we allow currently in Canada, random roadside stops so police can visually inspect the readily visible contents of your vehicle, check your physical status through sniff test and observations and then confirm you are carrying identification papers for yourself, your passengers and the vehicle itself are all actually disallowed under international law.

We teach foreign authorities that these practices are not acceptable as they transition to a democracy and that everyone has the right to travel within their own country without requiring identification (try getting on a bus or airline in Canada as well), without interruption for random inspections and without being unduly detained.

But in Canada we have grown so lethargic to our freedoms they have become meaningless. Whenever someone throws out the consideration that the restriction imposed is in the name of "safety or tolerance" we are supposed to surrender it without further protest.

If drinking and driving is a problem set the rate at .01 and take away a persons right to drive for life on a first offence, but don't piss around with my personal liberty in order that the hard choices don't have to be made.

I wonder if I will every live long enough that some thud from a place like Chad will be here lecturing Canadians on the principles of democracy. Could happen I suppose, look at how all the priests, ministers and missionaries for a variety of religions are now coming out of Africa to re-evangelize Europe.

I'm fine with no driving if you drink any amount, it's the roadside checks that annoy me...but cops do those already so it won't make any difference....

I find the tendency to punishment without due process pretty darned disturbing.

The notion of police functioning also as 'judge, jury and executioner' is horrifying.

I realize that random inspection is not punishment, but that, in conjunction with fines and suspensions and expenses without due process conferr wa-ay too much power. There must be some sort of check that authourity is not abused.

Edited by Molly

Nice. I can see the day when Google will probably take over the automotive industry, the taxi industry and probably a good chunk of mass transit in one fell swoop. Huge numbers of tow truck drivers would probably be screwed and parking tickets would be a thing of the past too.

If you could just Google up a car whenever you need one, you'd never need to buy one. I'd love to be able to strike car payments and repairs etc off my budget. The thought of legally being able to crack a cold one on the way home from work is appealing and you'd probably never have to shovel your driveway again.

Of course I expect a development like this will conjure up a huge noisy 'from my cold dead hands' movement around steering-wheels and stick-shifts ans snow-shovels in addition to guns.

I'm fine with no driving if you drink any amount, it's the roadside checks that annoy me...but cops do those already so it won't make any difference....

I want evidence based legislation. If the governments position is that you cant have a glass of wine with dinner and competently operate a motor vehicle, then lets see the god damn evidence of that.

I want evidence based legislation. If the governments position is that you cant have a glass of wine with dinner and competently operate a motor vehicle, then lets see the god damn evidence of that.

It's pretty hard to argue with that.

If we had evidence based policies alcohol would likely be prohibited, by rights.

Not that I'd go there but I'm just saying...

Edited by eyeball