Gun Control

I can only assume you meant you would shoot me.

Maybe.

Maybe my wife would.

If I am correct then evidence would show I wasnt carrying a gun.

Maybe. Maybe not.

How do I know what night intruder carries. Could be a knife.

Murder is the charge in that case

I premeditated an intruder to break in at night? :D:D

You're better off to stay with the actual issue here, rather than stealing cars.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that the Tories have their majority and the Tories are big on getting rid of the national gun registry, there's still hope to keep it. How? AS I suggested before, through the provinces. That is what Quebec is looking at now, if the Tories get rid of it, bring in a provincial gun registry and so all those provinces that do want it can go on their own, once the Feds get rid of the national registry. Just think how upset and angry the Tories will be if most of the province go on their own. http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/canada/breakingnews/125294003.html

Maybe you should communicate with Premier McGuinty.

If McGuinty told me the time, I would want a second opinion. Also, after he told me I would check my wallet.

We've hashed this gun registry thing for several years now and it all boils down to - some folks feel more comfortable with it but can't give a good reason why. Others can't for the life of them see any way it has a positive benefit, because they see the world in terms of cause and effect - a lever is either of the right length or the wrong one - and so on, and so on, and so on.

Those who support it will always support it, because they don't usually have auditor type personalities. To them, it's enough to have one. They take it for granted that it will be run in a sensible fashion.

It really depends on whether you are a cause and effect person or a faith person. To one side, something is NOT better than nothing if it costs a lot and doesn't work. To the other, anything is better than nothing because if necessary it can be amended or improved.

I have asked forever, and no one has ever given a decent answer. What does the gun registry do to help anyone?

Actually, I think the pointlessness of it has helped to get us one step closer to the realization that gun control is really the only thing that will help lessen the number of people being shot.

One step forward two steps back has always been a fairly normal human pace of evolution but the forward backwards principle right-wingers often employ while usually stupider can sometimes be better because of how it really rubs people's noses in what doesn't work. Like gettin' tough and crackin' down and such instead.

This shouldn't take long at all. On the other hand maybe Harper is right and Canadians are right-wingers and right-wingers are Canadians in which case it could take a lot longer for the stupidity to become more obvious.

I'm someone who would be, but I've never gotten an answer regarding the gun registry as its currently configured.

I don't even know any more whether I could be convinced it has merit or not. I do know that I haven't heard a properly-founded reason yet for the long gun registry to exist, and I've pretty much quit bothering to peer through the smoke to try to see one.

Gun nuts fail to see the logic in a registry even though most people are aware of its usefulness in police investigations.

I can't speak for gun nuts, but perhaps if you are one of 'most people', you could coherently explain what that value might be.

Coherently, mind. Preferably without any name-calling.

Now that the Tories have their majority and the Tories are big on getting rid of the national gun registry, there's still hope to keep it. How? AS I suggested before, through the provinces. That is what Quebec is looking at now, if the Tories get rid of it, bring in a provincial gun registry and so all those provinces that do want it can go on their own, once the Feds get rid of the national registry. Just think how upset and angry the Tories will be if most of the province go on their own. http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/canada/breakingnews/125294003.html

They won't be upset. They'll be elected. The gun control bunch (Liberals and Bloc) are already losing even in Quebec.

Actually, I think the pointlessness of it has helped to get us one step closer to the realization that gun control is really the only thing that will help lessen the number of people being shot.

No, evidence shows only Criminal Control does that. Or would you be rather stabbed to death. Which btw, happen far more often than being hot.

How's Knife Control doing lately? :D

From the gun laws I've read that we have in Canada, they're WAY over-the-top. I would certainly support liberalization of gun laws in Canada. For starters, in Canada guns must be stored unloaded and locked away in a cabinet (with few exceptions). Moreover, the ammunition needs to be kept somewhere else! What's the point of owning a gun if you're going to make it more difficult to access when needed? There are many crazy laws in Canada regarding guns that need to be revisited.

Edited by Bob

For starters, in Canada guns must be stored unloaded and locked away in a cabinet (with few exceptions). Moreover, the ammunition needs to be kept somewhere else!

Now I don't have any problem at all with that. That's just using an appropriate level of care.

Maintaining an entire (bloody expensive) beaurocracy for the sake of an incomplete and error-riddled list-- that's another thing entirely. Bludgeoning citizens with removal of normal rights, threat of criminal charges, and siezure of property for the heinous crime of not keeping their paperwork perfectly up to date... that's just not appropriate.

For starters, in Canada guns must be stored unloaded and locked away in a cabinet (with few exceptions). Moreover, the ammunition needs to be kept somewhere else! What's the point of owning a gun if you're going to make it more difficult to access when needed?

I suspect that some of these exist since Criminal Code suggest that one does not have any duty to defend if one has an exit route .

IOW, if someone is coming through your front door and you are at the wide open back door, shooting the person will be your first mistake, since you have an easy exit.

Quick question to Bob and to Guyser... do you folks own/use guns/have much comfort level with them?

Seems to me that it's a tendency for folks who don't have anything to do with guns to percieve guns as being for shooting at people, while folks who do have a high familiarity and comfort level with guns would mostly not think of it at all, and mostly be surprised/apalled when the prospect of shooting at people is pointed out. Gun users are mostly very well conditioned to the idea that you just don't point a gun at anything you don't seriously want dead, not even by accident... and people just aren't on that list.

What say?

Now I don't have any problem at all with that. That's just using an appropriate level of care.

Maintaining an entire (bloody expensive) beaurocracy for the sake of an incomplete and error-riddled list-- that's another thing entirely. Bludgeoning citizens with removal of normal rights, threat of criminal charges, and siezure of property for the heinous crime of not keeping their paperwork perfectly up to date... that's just not appropriate.

But in the interests of owning a gun for self-defense, this is completely counterintuitive. The gun registry, on the other hand, is just another government make-work project. it accomplishes nothing towards its stated objective of increased public safety. I'm sure any fair-minded person would agree.

Quick question to Bob and to Guyser... do you folks own/use guns/have much comfort level with them?

Seems to me that it's a tendency for folks who don't have anything to do with guns to percieve guns as being for shooting at people, while folks who do have a high familiarity and comfort level with guns would mostly not think of it at all, and mostly be surprised/apalled when the prospect of shooting at people is pointed out. Gun users are mostly very well conditioned to the idea that you just don't point a gun at anything you don't seriously want dead, not even by accident... and people just aren't on that list.

What say?

I have virtually no knowledge about gun mechanics or usage. I do plan to take a firearm training course sometime, though. Either in Israel (although gun control laws are quite restrictive here, unfortunately) or in Canada. I am the exact opposite of a gun-enthusiast. I have only held a gun once in my life when I was a young child visiting family friends in the USA.

I suspect that some of these exist since Criminal Code suggest that one does not have any duty to defend if one has an exit route .

IOW, if someone is coming through your front door and you are at the wide open back door, shooting the person will be your first mistake, since you have an easy exit.

I didn't know that, but I can't say I'm surprised considering Canada's leftist political culture. It's really too bad. If what you're saying is true, then I would replace the word you chose "duty" with "right". If a person breaks into another person's home, it is not unreasonable at all to assume that the criminal is dangerous and a threat to one's safety. The criminal, in my view, is fair game. Imagine how much of a reduction we'd see in break-and-enter crimes if more Canadians armed themselves and defended their lives and property.