First the Berlin Wall - Now Iran?

Wild Bill

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:lol::lol::lol:

I just finally realized what your signature was all about! And for some confounded reason when I glanced at it I always thought in terms of the Marshall Plan. :blink:

I still have my Yamaha 2X10 from the early 80's, that used to put Marshalls to shame. I dunno how many beers were spilled into it, but the only repair was when something shook loose in the amp because a stupid bass player thought he could use it as a bass amp for Motorhead tunes.

:) Ah! Cue the bass player jokes!

What do you call a bass player without a girlfriend? Homeless.

That takes me back to 1984...my smoke-filled youth.

Mountian...With the late,great Felix Pappaliardi...

Last night I was listening to Uneasy Rider by Charlie Daniels...That was before Charlie turned into Green Teeth in that song!!!

I saw Motorhead 20 years ago(or so) at the Gasworks in Toronto with...Wait for it....

The Ramones!!!!

Motorhead was old then!!!!

The Ramones? With Motorhead?

The ghost of my young self just turned green with envy.

Uriah Heep....

Very 'ard...Very 'eavy...

Stealin' is their best tune,IMHO...

Hmmm...living in Beamsville and love Stealin'...I'll bet you used to go to the bars during the late 70's and 80's Jack and caught my friend's band Copter! Stealin' was one of their signature tunes! They didn't play that often in Hamilton or ST. Catherines. Mostly the small towns all around, particularly the Queens in Dunnville.

'Relaxed censorship'? Maybe that was one factor. Many folks think that the major reason was photocopiers!

That's 'copiers' as a symbol, of course. I rode the high tech electronics curve from the late 70's onward, selling those newfangled computer chips and stuff. We were all pretty plugged in to the changes computers were making and our industry led the way with all the new gadgets.

Here in the West we all took to copiers, fax machines and personal computers like ducks to water. Not so in the Soviet Union. Only important institutions could get a copier. Notice I said 'a' copier! They would have one and only one copier in an entire building! This was because they considered copiers to be a security risk. Important documents could be copied and conceivably smuggled out to foreign interests. By having only one machine it was much easier to keep it secure. The same held for fax machines. Personal computers were only for highly placed people in the party and scientists/engineers in state-run factories. They were ALWAYS tightly monitored!

Think about it, Nicky. Think about how SLOWLY information could be shared or ideas developed in such a system, compared to the free and easy environment we all take for granted! Every office I ever worked in had copiers and faxes all over the place! Later email meant that we could share information with customers at the click of a mouse. That was never possible in the USSR.

The two systems were as different as a snail and a greyhound. During the first 5 years of the 80's it became painfully obvious to even the most stubborn commissar that they had no hope of keeping up with the West once the Computer Revolution had started. Gorbachev was smart enough to not even try but rather went for a 'controlled collapse' with the least possible amount of pain.

I absolutely believe that this was THE most important factor! It would have made a great episode of James Burke's "Connections" tv series.

Did you ever think that the purchase of more copiers was due to a relaxation in censorship?

Did you ever think that the purchase of more copiers was due to a relaxation in censorship?

In what context? To the best of my knowledge, free and open use of copiers did not occur in the former USSR until after things fell apart, not before.

Hmmm...living in Beamsville and love Stealin'...I'll bet you used to go to the bars during the late 70's and 80's Jack and caught my friend's band Copter! Stealin' was one of their signature tunes! They didn't play that often in Hamilton or ST. Catherines. Mostly the small towns all around, particularly the Queens in Dunnville.

Um...I was born in 1970...Kinda hard to get an 8 or 9 year old into a bar,even in Grimsby!!!

Actually,I started to hear alot of Uriah Heep from listening to 97 Rock in Buffalo...I stil do!!!It's way better than Q-107...

The Ramones? With Motorhead?

The ghost of my young self just turned green with envy.

I was in college and was in relative walking distance from The Gasworks...They used to sell beer in the 750 ml bottles only.Needless to say it was a spectacularily loud and fast double bill,and,I was pretty well smashed by the end of it...

Um...I was born in 1970...Kinda hard to get an 8 or 9 year old into a bar,even in Grimsby!!!

Actually,I started to hear alot of Uriah Heep from listening to 97 Rock in Buffalo...I stil do!!!It's way better than Q-107...

I never liked Uriah Heap because of my Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd chauvenism. Zep & Floyd took time to record spectacular music and the Heap churned the stuff out. I could hear a Heap tune on the radio and not know it was them. Queen did the same thing as Heap, but they had more going for them I think and overcame the stigma of being a fill-in band.

Then copiers didn't cause the USSR to crumble.

Huh??? I think you've missed the entire point! Free and open use of copiers would have helped the USSR be able to operate as quickly as western countries. It might have been able to progress its technology as fast as its rival countries!

It was the limited way it used technologies like photo copiers that made it simply unable to compete! It was like trying to run a WalMart store with no computers, just quill pens!

Huh??? I think you've missed the entire point! Free and open use of copiers would have helped the USSR be able to operate as quickly as western countries. It might have been able to progress its technology as fast as its rival countries!

It was the limited way it used technologies like photo copiers that made it simply unable to compete! It was like trying to run a WalMart store with no computers, just quill pens!

Uhhh, no, I don't think I did.

'Relaxed censorship'? Maybe that was one factor. Many folks think that the major reason was photocopiers!

You literally said the major reason for the collapse was photo copiers. Nothing about the inefficiency of the system, just copiers. Not the case.

Did inefficiency cause the collapse? Well, yes, it did. The Soviet economy stalled at the end of the 70s into the late 80s. Gorbachev advanced economic reforms, reforms which had been tried before. If he had left it to reforms the USSR would probably still be around today. The problem with reforms was is the technocrats within the CPSU were highly conservative Stalinists, not because they were butchers, but because the Stalinist economic system kept their standard of living at higher than the rest of the population. Khrushchev was removed from power because he wanted to institute economic reforms to the country, the technocrats got scared and the party rebelled against him. To counter this, Gorbachev relaxed censorship; the glastnost. He figured the great public outcry that would erupt after censorship ended would end up supporting him and his reform of the system and that would force the politburo and the party to go along with him. That's exactly what happened. The problem is, the critiques of Stalinism went too far to keep the country together. It could be argued that the base for the Soviet state was Lenin. Everything good was attributed to him, every policy was his. In essence, he became the diety for an atheist state. In the press, reports came out about Stalin and about how bad he was, however it quickly moved into deafening critiques of Lenin himself which the party wasn't ready for. It undermined what Gorbachev was trying to do as he attributed everything to Lenin and undermined the state itself. The illusion about what the Soviet Union was disappeared and the country eventually collapsed.