Could Harper be our Reagan?

So what do you think?

Harper, like Reagan, is in favor of tax cuts, restoring our Armed Forces, reducing government bureaucracy, increasing our standing on the world stage, improving our relations with our biggest neighbor and trading partner, and most importanly, making Canadians proud to be Canadian again........

And maybe well's he's at, Harper might just destroy a Communist menace ;)

Thats going a little bit to far. The America of 1980 is not the Canada of today. Harper also does not have the same abilities that Reagan had such as communication and humor. Regan was one of a kinda in what is world politics, he came at the right time for America. :D

I never said that Harper would be the equal of Reagan, just the Canadian version ;)

I think Harper may well shape up to be another King. This guy is really shrewd. He has taken a leaf out of the Liberal playbook and the Liberals don't know how to respond.

To be successful however, he's going to have to somehow get seats in Quebec. Not in this election, but in the future.

August; that is an insult to Clinton. Just wait till you see Harper's tax cuts; I will bet only the wealthy end up with anything in their pockets. Harper would just finish off the job of selling Canada out to the American interests. His buddy Mulroney did enough of that already.

I think Harper with be quite like Regan in the sense that he'll amase more debt that any other leader in our history. Harper is promising massive tax cuts and massive increases in spending in areas like the military.

If they do go into debt........so what? Most people go into debt with a car loan, credit card or a mortgage. If we need to go in debt so be it, just as long as the reasons for going in are of value to taxpayers.

I don't mind running up the Visa for a short while to boost defence spending, Healthcare, Education and tax cuts to jump start the economy further.....not Sponsership deals, gun registry, the "arts" or corperate welfare.........

I was no fan of Reagan but for reasons other than debt. The comparison of Harper and Reagan strikes me as ludicrous. If forced to choose an American comparison, I'd say Harper is Clinton without the sax.

Why is it ludicrous? Isn't Harper going to be doing alot of the same type things to Canada, that Reagan did to the States (thats if he forms the government)?

Caesar, I guess you're a Canadian nationalist. Take a look at this image to understand better the true nature of your beloved Canada. Indeed, the image shows the true nature of our continent, if not the world. Check out Cuba and Haiti as compared to Puerto Rico or the Dominican Republic. (For Easterners, the image is neat because it shows last year's black out.)

August; that is an insult to Clinton. Just wait till you see Harper's tax cuts; I will bet only the wealthy end up with anything in their pockets. Harper would just finish off the job of selling Canada out to the American interests. His buddy Mulroney did enough of that already.

You (among others) seem to think that Canada could do hunky dory without the United States, why is that?

Also, why is it that you (among others), think that to be Canadians, you must put down the Americans? Does the Left have a collectively (pun intended) small penis?

Can a Canadian not be a Canadian if he or she also likes our relationship with the United States?

Reagan along with Eisenhower and Kennedy were likely the best presidents the USA ever had during my lifetime. Reagan accomplished a lot during his two terms as president. He raised the American profile tremendously and he deserves more credit than anyone else for bringing an end to the Cold War. If Harper turns out to be another Reagan then we will be in good hands. In many ways he reminds me of John Kennedy.

Stoker, please be careful.

If they do go into debt........so what? Most people go into debt with a car loan, credit card or a mortgage.

When you go into debt, you use your Visa card. When the government goes into debt, it also uses your Visa card. See the difference?

The government has both your debit card and your credit card. It can use either to buy those adorable Canadian flags in the shop window. Does it matter to you which of your cards it uses?

Or should the question really be about buying the flags at all? That, simply stated, is the choice governments make.

There's alot of irrelevant argument about the credit card vs the debit card choice. The argument instead should be about the purchase itself.

Reagan along with Eisenhower and Kennedy were likely the best presidents the USA ever had during my lifetime.

Hjalmar:

I quite like Ike too. Did you know that the top tax rate under his administration was OVER 90 % ?

Eisenhower used this money to build (BUILD !) the space program, the military and the interstate highway system as well as the foundations for the great society, later continued by the Dems in the 1960s.

I never imagined you to be to the left of Jack Layton, but I guess we're never too old to learn...

Aiden, who cares about debt?

Canada's federal debt totalled $583 billion at the end of March 1997 (the fiscal year or accounting period is from April 1 to March 31). Interest payments on the debt totalled $45 billion in 1996-97.

1.Stephen Harper announced his party's $58 billion platform Saturday

2.The Liberals have said their spending plans will cost $43 billion

3.while the NDP has proposed $61 billion over that time.

45*5=225 billion dollars, we could implement all three parties plans, 162 billion, and cut taxes. So in Reply to your question, I do.

There's alot of irrelevant argument about the credit card vs the debit card choice. The argument instead should be about the purchase itself.

Exactly ;)

There's people that use credit to purchase necessities, and then there are people that use it for going to the bar when they can't afford it.........

Harper doesn't look like a bar fly to me...

There's people that use...
Stoker, people?

Imagine your daughter, son, ex-wife, current beloved has your CIBC debit card (and pin number) and your Amex Card. Does it really matter to you which card they use to buy the damn flags?

Please understand government. Politicians, and bureaucrats, have both your cards.

There is this absurd NDP argument that "we'll only use your debit card and never your credit card. This shows that we are responsible." Huh?

Imagine your daughter, son, ex-wife, current beloved has your CIBC debit card (and pin number) and your Amex Card. Does it really matter to you which card they use to buy the damn flags?

I don't care which card they have as much as I care what they spend the money on......if somebody wants to borrow money to improve something that is important to me......I say fine.....it's when my money is going to waste that i get pissed off.

Who cares about our national debt?? I do and most responsible people. When the national debt gets high all our tax money just pays interest. Pay as we go or don't go. Why should our children and grandchildren pay for things we want and can't pay for.

We can be friends and trade with the Americans when they are ready to trade fairly; we don't have to kowtow to their wishes as Bush would have us do and so would Harper. We must diversify trade and find more trading partners. Never put all your eggs in one basket. When America has a president that thinks he can make other countries do as he wishes by bribes and/or threats of economic retaliation; it is past time to go looking for trade elsewhere. I do not mean that we must stop all trade with America; but let's not become dependent on trade with any one country.

Caser, Its either you don't know or you don't wan to know But the ecomonic success is diffrectly linked to the United States those are the facts. Most jobs in this country are in one way or another link to trade with America and the broader is very importent. What do you think would happen if the U.S closed its nothern boarder for serveral days. Do you understand the effect that would have on Canada?

Caser, Its either you don't know or you don't wan to know But the ecomonic success is diffrectly linked to the United States those are the facts. Most jobs in this country are in one way or another link to trade with America and the broader is very importent. What do you think would happen if the U.S closed its nothern boarder for serveral days. Do you understand the effect that would have on Canada?

perhaps that is the biggest reason to work towards diversifying our trade.

Who cares about our national debt?? I do and most responsible people. When the national debt gets high all our tax money just pays interest. Pay as we go or don't go. Why should our children and grandchildren pay for things we want and can't pay for.

Thats a chicken and the egg debate if I've ever seen one :rolleyes:

Why should we pay for things now that our Children will benefit from?

We can be friends and trade with the Americans when they are ready to trade fairly; we don't have to kowtow to their wishes as Bush would have us do and so would Harper. We must diversify trade and find more trading partners. Never put all your eggs in one basket. When America has a president that thinks he can make other countries do as he wishes by bribes and/or threats of economic retaliation; it is past time to go looking for trade elsewhere. I do not mean that we must stop all trade with America; but let's not become dependent on trade with any one country.

Well once you get your magic wand and create another country or countries that have the same demand for our goods as that of the United States.....and once you get your magic wand and create another country or countries that have the same goods that we want.....and once you get your magic wand and create another country or countries that will defend us for almost no cost to us......then we should continue the "debate" about telling the United States to go stuff it :rolleyes:

One more thing.......if we did find all these wonderful, robust countries, when we tell the United States to poke it.....whats to stop the United States from carrying out their "manifest destiny"?

Oh yeah....your magic wand :rolleyes:

perhaps that is the biggest reason to work towards diversifying our trade.

In a very simplistic view, the Federal government is not totally responsible for trade with the US. It is individual companies that have to look after their own trade. The Federal government can basically only help our own companies by ensuring the borders stay open to our products. In turn, we play a game of give and take. Unfortunately, we end up giving more often than getting but on the other hand, we are dealing with our closest neighbour and one of the largest economies in the world. Without federal subsidies, we can not compete in the European economy because of their subsidies and trade barriers. As for a lot of the other economies around the world, they deal mostly in credit, what good is that to us? I think the government in general should help us promote our products around the world but it is up to the business people to get the contracts.

As for the original path of this thread, I think Harper has some of the same ideas as Reagan but Reagan was one of a kind. Like him or not, Reagan was not a push over and did what he felt was right for the US. I think Harper also wants to do what is right for Canada. Harper wants to make Canada a stronger country again and increase our national pride.

I think Harper is one of a kind too and only time will tell if he will be allowed to see his vision for Canada through.

Maybe we could find a comparison for Martin, I think one of the 3 Stooges might apply quite appropiately or the Artful Dodger from Oliver, a slick little pickpocket.

I wont even go anywhere near who I think Layton is like for the fear of getting ripped a new one by his followers in this forum, that much of a sense of humour is not around this place. :P