Shrine Suicide Bombed - Where are the Tears?

jbg

That is a very good point AW. Until it affects others, no one really wants to step in and do what is needed or what is right.

That narrative is only partially true though. A big part of the reason why the world community hasnt intervened is because Israel has a stooge on the UNSC with a veto.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That narrative is only partially true though. A big part of the reason why the world community hasnt intervened is because Israel has a stooge on the UNSC with a veto.

Yet, without that veto, and other veto's, there wouldn't be a UN to intervene. There are such things as Big pictures and lemonade.

Yet, without that veto, and other veto's, there wouldn't be a UN to intervene. There are such things as Big pictures and lemonade.

The UN is not held in very high esteem by many on this board, me included. They are not the effective body they once were.

The UN is not held in very high esteem by many on this board, me included. They are not the effective body they once were.

When it comes to armed conflict the UN has never been effective. It was designed that way. Otherwise have a League of Nations which was pretty inneffective too. Such multi-national organizations can never be effective in regards to conflict.

The UN has never stopped anyone from intervening anywhere. Blaming the UN is a red herring. No resolutions by UNSC is necessary for intervention.

See USofA vs Iraq. or Afghanistan. or France, Belgium, Uganda vs Rwanda or India vs Pakistan 1970 or South Africa vs Angola or Russia vs Afghanistan or Russia vs Hungary or USofA vs Grenada or Argentina vs Great Britain or China vs Vietnam etc etc and on and on.

Nations are not intervening for the simple reason they don't want to.

There is no such thing as "the world community"...and even if there was, it sure as hell could not/would not organize with the cohesive leadership and resources needed to "intervene". Just ask General Dallaire.

Actually both the U.S.'s and Canada's record in this area was utterly shameful.

Correct!!!!

Mein Kampf was translated into at least 7 languages by 1933...

Everyone knew what could happen if Herr Schicklegruber got supreme control of Germany.Once it became obvious to everyone what was going on,the foreign minister of this country after being asked if Canada might take Jewish refugees,said (and I'm paraphrasing) this country really did'nt need anymore of the thick lipped hooked nosed element in this country...

In some sense,those countries that fought against NAZIsm,were indirectly complicit in the crimes the NAZI's perpetrated...

The UN has turned into a very large organization that tries to do many things. Some of the agencies are without a doubt useless. However, there are some agencies and institutions within the UN who are helpful and create progress in the world.

I think the biggest problem with the UN and its lack of progress in some cases, like in Congo, Rwanda and the Occupied Territories, is the massive size of its members and the veto power a select few countries have.

The system has failed in some of the cases and a change is needed. What that change should be, I don't know. Perhaps, take away the veto power and cut down the planet into several regions so that each council is in charge of determining how to interpret the law for the issues in their region. Another option could be to allow the international criminal court to see how international law would be applied to disputed issues. Of course, I'm not sure if that would work either.

At the end of it all, personally, I rather have the occasionally flawed UN than not have it at all.

Guest American Woman
I think the biggest problem with the UN and its lack of progress in some cases, like in Congo, Rwanda and the Occupied Territories, is the massive size of its members and the veto power a select few countries have.

Yes, I'm sure the "veto power that a select few countries have" is a major reason why nothing was done in the Congo, Rwanda et al. Other nations wanted to help, but countries with veto power objected, so nobody did anything.

:rolleyes:

Nations are not intervening for the simple reason they don't want to.

Exactly.

Yet the UN is getting involved, putting aside issues such as North Korea attacking a South Korean navel ship killing 46 sailors, to first condemn Israel when it was defending itself; in spite of Israel having a "stooge" on the UNSC with a veto.

Edited by American Woman

The UN has turned into a very large organization that tries to do many things. Some of the agencies are without a doubt useless. However, there are some agencies and institutions within the UN who are helpful and create progress in the world.

The United Nations Human Rights Council and the United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East (UNRWA) are two useless parts of the UN beast.

Yes, I'm sure the "veto power that a select few countries have" is a major reason why nothing was done in the Congo, Rwanda et al. Other nations wanted to help, but countries with veto power objected, so nobody did anything.

:rolleyes:

Exactly.

Yet the UN is getting involved, putting aside issues such as North Korea attacking a South Korean navel ship killing 46 sailors, to first condemn Israel when it was defending itself; in spite of Israel having a "stooge" on the UNSC with a veto.

Youre confusing the UNGA and other agencies with the security council.

Guest American Woman

Youre confusing the UNGA and other agencies with the security council.

No, actually I'm not. My point is, the UN manages to do what the UN wants to do regardless of the "stooges" you blame for other nations' failure to get involved.

• 1 month later...

I wouldn't exactly call the U.S. a "stooge". I suspect that some of the other permanent members of the U.N.S.C. are organically anti-Israel, and others are afraid of their immigrant populations. Frankly, I don't think the world has become comfortable with the idea that the Jews are entitled to a state and to self-determination as much as the Poles and Czechs are, and much more than such faux nationalities as Rwanda, Burundi, etc.

The United Nations Human Rights Council and the United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East (UNRWA) are two useless parts of the UN beast.

Among many others. Even the so-called "better" parts are buried in paperwork and utterly wasteful and corrupt. They are not on some idealistic "world unity" mission, not that that would be so great either.