$9 Billion No-Bid Contract for 65 F-35s

I'm gonna check those out!!!

Africa Campaign...Good ol' Rommel...

Ervin Rommel is alot like Lee in that he seemd to be above the underlying ugliness of the cause they ostensibly were fighting for....

Campaign for North Africa was a bit of a joke in the hobby. It was so large that few had room for the entire map (see pics on website) not to mention the rules were like 500 pages long. If you ever finished a game, you were supposed to write in to one of the various trade/hobby magazines. Nobody ever did.

The largest I remember playing was a brute called Fire in the East/Scorched Earth (the Invasion of Russia through to the end of 1944)...took months and months to play through with about 6 of us...great for a long cold winter.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/8993/fire-in-the-east

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgameexpansion/7690/scorched-earth

Edited by DogOnPorch

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back in the 60's my brother created a giant version of the 12 O'clock High board game with hundreds more primary and tertiary targets, complete POW camp, out-of-fuel glide rules based on weather reports, dud bombs, and desertion to Switzerland.

The games would go on for days.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/469984/12-oclock-high-game

I still have this board game (original TV version with Robert Lansing on the cover).

That's really cool for a family style game...it'd be worth a mint if intact and in good condition.

And he's lucky the Brits did'nt back the Confederacy after Antietam...I would'nt have liked the Union's chances if they were attacked on two fronts...Control of the Great Lakes AND major port cities...

Can you say certain death?

But you're right,after the Wra there were close to 1 million men in Yankee uni's...There was a valid concern that they might come North for a little retribution for what happened 50 years earlier..

Britain couldn't support the South after Mr Lincoln's Gettysburg Address which changed the war from one about King Cotton to one about slavery. Something GB had aleady done away with decades earlier.

That's really cool for a family style game...it'd be worth a mint if intact and in good condition.

WW2 was not such a distant memory back in the 1960's...Revell or Monogram models and glue sniffing was more fun than video games. We would hang the aircraft from our ceiling using thread or monofilament. Fighters would be dogfighting, of course.

Britain couldn't support the South after Mr Lincoln's Gettysburg Address which changed the war from one about King Cotton to one about slavery. Something GB had aleady done away with decades earlier.

Sorta....GB made the cost/price of continuing slavery and proof of ownership too high, and banned new slaves.

I know about the British and it's abolition of slavery.Antietam was basically fought to a draw because idiot McLellan pussed out,as usual.The Emancipation Proclamation was enacted a week later,and put into legislation by January 1 of the new year.There was no way Britain could,in clear conscience,back a slave state...

WW2 was not such a distant memory back in the 1960's...Revell or Monogram models and glue sniffing was more fun than video games. We would hang the aircraft from our ceiling using thread or monofilament. Fighters would be dogfighting, of course.

You an me both, my friend. I prefered 1/72 scale aircraft...the ceiling could hold more. Airfix was another of the earlier plastic model companies. Eventually the Japanese came along with their superior diecasting and plastic quality...Tamiya, Hasagawa, etc.

You an me both, my friend. I prefered 1/72 scale aircraft...the ceiling could hold more. Airfix was another of the earlier plastic model companies. Eventually the Japanese came along with their superior diecasting and plastic quality...Tamiya, Hasagawa, etc.

I'm an admitted model building geek...

But I only build race cars....

1/72 was cool, but I wanted my 4-engine bombers BIG! At least 1/48 or bigger.

http://www.amazon.com/Revell-B17G-Flying-Fortress-Scale/dp/B0006JNS5E/ref=sr_1_2/189-1693577-0548249?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1279601379&sr=8-2

Damn...it's so true...the Japanese injection molding and die-casting got so much better. That was the brginning of the end! :)

1/72 was cool, but I wanted my 4-engine bombers BIG! At least 1/48 or bigger.

http://www.amazon.com/Revell-B17G-Flying-Fortress-Scale/dp/B0006JNS5E/ref=sr_1_2/189-1693577-0548249?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1279601379&sr=8-2

Damn...it's so true...the Japanese injection molding and die-casting got so much better. That was the brginning of the end! :)

I built the 1/48 B-36 Peacemaker by Monogram for the hobby store I worked at way back...now that was huge. It was a rare kit even at the time...back ordered many times.

I build model rockets. And then launch them a few km up.

Did that too...give us all a 48 of beer plus steaks and watch us go, eh?

:lol::lol:

I built the 1/48 B-36 Peacemaker by Monogram for the hobby store I worked at way back...now that was huge. It was a rare kit even at the time...back ordered many times.

Never seen one...must have been a monster....lots of glue! B-36's are sold today as 1/100 scale kits for more than $200.

"Six turning and four burning!"

Yes...one of my favorite aircraft. One crashed here in BC (an A model with no jets) back in the 50s after ejecting it's bomb (minus pit) into the Pacific. You can still hike-up to the wreck...but it's quite the hike!

Kinda. Still have to deal with the FAA/NAR regulations, certifications, etc.

Here's my first (failed but cool) attempt:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veF5eOP4ouE

Had some problems with the relative timing of the 3 separate rocket motors lol.

Well that was cool.

Yea....B-58 kits were easier to build...not as many pieces! My last bomber kit was a B-70 (Kimmy's favorite?)

B-58's biggest starring role in Fail Safe (1964):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXy8UfTgocE&feature=related

Edited by bush_cheney2004

This is less about the actual choice being made but rather having to make a choice at all.

Which is odd because the only home grown fighter aircraft Canada has ever operated is the CF-100. Everything else has either been bought or license built from someone else.

I was into Airfix 1/72. Had sections of my bedroom ceiling divided into WW2 aircraft by nation. It was an acoustic tile ceiling and parts of it were sagging from the weight of the things. Also had a bunch of the ships. Somewhere in a box I think I still have models of HMS Hood, HMS KGV and HMS Warspite.

I was into Airfix 1/72. Had sections of my bedroom ceiling divided into WW2 aircraft by nation. It was an acoustic tile ceiling and parts of it were sagging from the weight of the things. Also had a bunch of the ships. Somewhere in a box I think I still have models of HMS Hood, HMS KGV and HMS Warspite.

Ship models were different....you couldn't run around with them to get the props to twirl in the wind. And they were not ballasted to float in water either. Still, I spent a month on Bismarck trying to get the teak deck paint and swastika just right.