Who chooses the political cartoon for the front page?

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm personally offended by the political cartoon currently being shown on the front page of MapleLeafweb. And I think that's probably the first time in my life I can say that about an editorial cartoon.

The cartoon, by Tim Golighan, titled "Backstab" shows a Canadian soldier with a knife in his back. On the knife are written the words "Detainee allegations". Above his head is a thought baloon which says "At least we know why the Taliban are trying to do us in".

So it's all so clear in the mind of Mr. Golighan. The Taliban aren't violent primitives fighting out of religious zealotry. They're human rights activists driven to their violent ways by the evil treatment Canada gives it's prisoners. It's not their fault they set bombs under girls schools, saw peoples heads off, throw acid in girls faces or explode bombs in the middle of markets. They're only reacting to our violation of human rights!

I don't think even the most extreme of the anti-war side on the mapleleafweb forums would take a position that far out, adn that insulting to the Canadian troops in Afghanistan.

Now as editorial cartoons generally are considered to be representative of the opinion of the media in which they appear, are we to take it this opinion represents Mapleleafweb's opinion on Canadian soldiers? That they believe Canadian soldiers provoke the otherwise peaceful Taliban?

I think you're misunderstanding the cartoon. What it's saying is that they know the Taliban are trying to kill them...they're not really sure about the people in Parliament.

I actually find it offensive in a different way. It's saying that Parliament should shut up, something I don't agree with.

Edited by Smallc

The text implies that while they understand the Taliban as their enemy in the field, they don't understand the backstabbing coming from home. Personally I don't think the troops are directly to blame, if any such misconduct has in fact occurred. The government clearly has something to hide and seeks to protect itself. But we won't know that until the truth comes out.

The text implies that while they understand the Taliban as their enemy in the field, they don't understand the backstabbing coming from home.

Yes, I think you may be correct. I didn't read it that way initially.

Edited by Argus

• Forum Admin

Now as editorial cartoons generally are considered to be representative of the opinion of the media in which they appear, are we to take it this opinion represents Mapleleafweb's opinion on Canadian soldiers? That they believe Canadian soldiers provoke the otherwise peaceful Taliban?

I personally choose all the cartoons on Maple Leaf Web. The opinions expressed in the cartoons are of the creator, in this case Tim Dolighn, and are not representative of the opinions of myself, or anyone else involved with Maple Leaf Web.

I choose cartoons I feel provoke further thought and reflection.

The text implies that while they understand the Taliban as their enemy in the field, they don't understand the backstabbing coming from home. Personally I don't think the troops are directly to blame, if any such misconduct has in fact occurred. The government clearly has something to hide and seeks to protect itself. But we won't know that until the truth comes out.

I wouldn't say they're entirely to blame for the alleged misconduct but surely as volunteers, the vast majority of whom have patently demonstrated support for not just the mission but the war on terror in general - in spite of the questionable justness of the conflict due to it's root causes - have only themselves to blame for being smeared with the shit that's trickled down from on high in Parliament.

I'd be ashamed to say this if they were conscripts but they're not so...

Edited by eyeball

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm personally offended by the political cartoon currently being shown on the front page of MapleLeafweb. And I think that's probably the first time in my life I can say that about an editorial cartoon.

The cartoon, by Tim Golighan, titled "Backstab" shows a Canadian soldier with a knife in his back. On the knife are written the words "Detainee allegations". Above his head is a thought baloon which says "At least we know why the Taliban are trying to do us in".

So it's all so clear in the mind of Mr. Golighan. The Taliban aren't violent primitives fighting out of religious zealotry. They're human rights activists driven to their violent ways by the evil treatment Canada gives it's prisoners. It's not their fault they set bombs under girls schools, saw peoples heads off, throw acid in girls faces or explode bombs in the middle of markets. They're only reacting to our violation of human rights!

I don't think even the most extreme of the anti-war side on the mapleleafweb forums would take a position that far out, adn that insulting to the Canadian troops in Afghanistan.

Argus...

What was your opinion on the Kurt Westergaard cartoon depicting Mohammed?