Mosque going up in NYC building

Guest American Woman

I'm really sorry that my position isn't what you would like it to be dre, and very sorry that I won't "own up to" something I don't feel/believe. You'll just have to live with the fact that while I think some aspects of Islam suck, just as I think some aspects of other religions suck, I don't think Islam sucks. Again, so sorry to disappoint you. I can see that it must be a huge disappointment and a great burden for you to bear. :(

Im not dissappointed in you at all.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest American Woman

Again, you failed to quote the Resolution. There is nothing in there prohibiting criticism of religion per se, which again shows you have not even looked at the Resolution and so have no clue what you're talking about. Please quote me the part of the resolution that prohibits criticizing Religion.

And no, linking to a biased site that obviously has not read it either does not count as quoting the Resolution. Get it from the horse's mouth please. The Resolution is linked in my post above.

Again, you fail to respond to what was said:

Do you support the move made in the UN to make criticism of religion a crime?

"The move made" is what's under discussion, and thus my links. Furthermore, you do realize the resolutions that have been voted on through the years aren't all identical, right?

Anyway, here's another link for you, from Human Rights First.

In recent years, opposition to the resolution has strengthened in part because the OIC has indicated that its goal is to establish an internationally binding standard to render defamation of religions unlawful.

Guest American Woman

Im not dissappointed in you at all.

Well, good. That means so very much to me, as I can only assume it means that from now on you'll stick to posting about your own positions rather than what YOU claim MY position is. :)

Well, good. That means so very much to me, as I can only assume it means that from now on you'll stick to posting about your own positions rather than what YOU claim MY position is. :)

No Ill probably continue pointing out the contradictions in your confused and tortured logic just like everyone else does. Again... thats not about ME... you end up in the same position no matter who youre arguing with and no matter what the subject is. But wait wait I know... Youre a victim, and everyone else is stupid ignoramouses :D

Guest American Woman

No Ill probably continue pointing out the contradictions in your confused and tortured logic just like everyone else does. Again... thats not about ME... you end up in the same position no matter who youre arguing with and no matter what the subject is. But wait wait I know... Youre a victim, and everyone else is stupid ignoramouses :D

Nope, not everyone by any means. Some people are bright enough to comprehend what I'm saying, but then, I'm not surprised that should escape you, too. ;)

Those people are capable of comprehending what "I'm not blaming all Muslims" and "I think some aspects of Islam suck, just as I think some aspects of other religions suck, but I don't think Islam sucks" mean. Don't feel too bad that you can't, though; some day you may be able to understand plain English too.

Until then, keep accusing me of whatever you have the need to accuse me of and I'll understand that it's not your fault that you're not the brightest star in the sky; and you can take comfort in the fact that there are a few other stars here struggling to shine, too. :)

Just know that you'll have to continue not only speaking for me, but answering for me in your head, because I won't be bothering with you.

Good day. :)

Edited by American Woman

Some people are bright enough to comprehend what I'm saying, but then, I'm not surprised that should escape you, too.

I know I know! Everyone that doesnt infer the intended meaning from your conflicting statements and confused/tortured logic is stupid!

I already said that.

And I'm not terribly surprised that you can't grasp what we're actually saying, which, *sigh* one again, *sigh* is not about "America preventing Islamic extremists from attending this mosque" nor "a mosque near 9/11 soil," which, quite frankly, I'm sure they've already been doing.

Maybe I'd try harder if you would even bother to have read the Krugman piece. But no, you'd rather sigh like a victim.

Poor, poor American woman. She suffers! SIGH!

No, all it would require is that you and all the other 'you're a bigot!' crowd respond to the actual issue and what we actually say/think instead of constantly making it about something else. You can begin by acknowledging that there are Muslims who disagree with this project being built on this property, also; that it's not a simple matter of "bigot!!!!!" the way y'all are persistently trying to present it as.

<_<

The fact that a person is a Muslim and agrees with you does not change anything.

What label a person happens to be, or handle they happen to take on, is not what is at issue.

What's at issue is that people think that because 19 Islamic extremists organized a terrible tragedy 9 years ago, that this means that all Muslims are shut out from practicing their religion in that same space.

The argument is weak no matter who makes it. And bigoted type of reasoning isn't only practiced by white American women, you know. :P

To go from individual characteristics to an entire group like this is strained and appalling logic.

There, do you like that better than me calling a spade a spade?

Now, if you want to discuss this issue itself then I recommend that we change topic to the issue instead.

You are more than welcome to discuss the Krugman link that I posted many pages ago if you want to get into an interesting and substantive argument.

I know I know! Everyone that doesnt infer the intended meaning from your conflicting statements and confused/tortured logic is stupid!

I already said that.

Yep, I've had run ins before with AW and this is the tact that she ends up taking. "Everyone is stupid but me" approach.

She's very misunderstood, you know! ;)

But seriously, I'm glad I'm not the only one to find her statements confusing, tortured, and contradictory.

I have no problem with your position here at all. Unlike all the other people on your side of the argument, youre at least honest. You just flat out admit that you dont like Islam, and own up to your bigotry. The other folks argument against this church think Islam sucks too... but they wont come out and say it and instead try to wrap their bigoted views in all kinds of twisted logic and PC rhetoric.

Bigotry is if I have an irrational dislike for any random Muslim. Disliking Islam is just plain common sense in my opinion. I also feel the same bile for Creationism. But since we haven't had a good Science vs Religion thread in a while, no doubt you may not be familiar with my outright mocking stance at those who can't fathom Evolution.

Edited by DogOnPorch

Again, you fail to respond to what was said:

Do you support the move made in the UN to make criticism of religion a crime?

"The move made" is what's under discussion, and thus my links. Furthermore, you do realize the resolutions that have been voted on through the years aren't all identical, right?

Anyway, here's another link for you, from Human Rights First.

In recent years, opposition to the resolution has strengthened in part because the OIC has indicated that its goal is to establish an internationally binding standard to render defamation of religions unlawful.

Again, you keep quoting this and that article making ridiculous claims about the Resolution. I'd linked the Resolution for you in a previous post already. I'd read it and it's clear that those who say it suppresses freedom of expression either did not read the Resolution (you know how the game of telephone works, don't you), or read it and then chose to interpret it very creatively. Admit it. You have not read the Resolution or are incapable of admitting that there is in fact nothing in it of what you claim. If you're right, all you'd have to do is quite the part of the Resolution that bans freedom of thought and expression.

Again, you keep quoting this and that article making ridiculous claims about the Resolution. I'd linked the Resolution for you in a previous post already. I'd read it and it's clear that those who say it suppresses freedom of expression either did not read the Resolution (you know how the game of telephone works, don't you), or read it and then chose to interpret it very creatively. Admit it. You have not read the Resolution or are incapable of admitting that there is in fact nothing in it of what you claim. If you're right, all you'd have to do is quite the part of the Resolution that bans freedom of thought and expression.

The resolution cannot "ban" anything. It is a non binding resolution, never gaining much support, originating in the powerless and worthless, third-world dominated, UN. Nevertheless, the text is deplorable. It makes out Muslims as some kind of helpless victims of religious and cultural discrimination and "expresses concern" about negative statements in regard to religions (Islam in particular).

Mosque approved by NYC...meanwhile, a Greek Orthodox Chruch that was destroyed near ground zero on 911, still hasn't been given permission to rebuild 9 years later. :rolleyes:

If only they were Muslims.

Yah that might be because the Muslims raised the money themselves to build their church but the Greek Orthodox one wants MORE THEN 40 million from the Port authority to build theres. So the Muslims raised all the money themselves and want to build their church, the Greeks want the government to buy them out for more then 40 million to build theres. Yeah there is a reason Shady, and you are being an idiot with out knowing or posting any facts.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/19/nyregion/19church.html

Guest American Woman
The fact that a person is a Muslim and agrees with you does not change anything.

The argument is weak no matter who makes it. And bigoted type of reasoning isn't only practiced by white American women, you know. :P

So you're saying Muslims who agree that the mosque shouldn't be built on that property are bigots and blame all Muslims too.

Okaaay, then.

:P

Edited by American Woman

Because there is this thing called a budget where line items are accounted for and where you can see how government money is being spent.

So you don't know...like the rest of us. Here I was thinking I was talking to a God. How disappointing.

:lol:

But for all you know, Saudi Arabia is funding the project.

For all I know the George Bush is funding it. Or Jesus himself but I know the government isn't giving any money to this religious organization to build their church and they aren't telling the government "nope not enough money" unlike Shady's "victims" in his story.

For all I know the George Bush is funding it. Or Jesus himself but I know the government isn't giving any money to this religious organization to build their church and they aren't telling the government "nope not enough money" unlike Shady's "victims" in his story.

So GWB did it? OK.....

So you're saying Muslims who agree that the mosque shouldn't be built on that property are bigots and blame all Muslims too.

Okaaay, then.

:P

No, I'm saying it stems from the same flawed bigoted reasoning that you and Bonham and others here have shown.

That is, you are unable to remove your emotions from this issue and are unable to distinguish between callous individuals committing crimes in the name of Islam and regular folks who just want to build a mosque so they can pray to their particular brand of sky fairy.

The prejudice here is that I dislike Islamic extremists - a reasonable prejudice, imv. I don't really like any extremists who blow people and buildings up so I don't have much sympathy for any group that does this.

Unfortunately, my dislike for them at the individual level is only known after they have blown themselves up and killed yet another Canadian or American.

I do not then extend that dislike to all Muslims and say that they can't pray here or there because some extremists, who happen to be men and Muslim, flew airplanes into buildings.

Since Islamic extremists are Muslim men, and it is 19 of these directly responsible for 9/11, then all Muslims are responsible for 9/11, is the emotional response of those who don't want the mosque built near ground zero (well, of some of those, since some people don't want a mosque built at all either because they dislike Muslims period or they dislike organized religion period).

Yes, even Muslims can sympathize with this "logic" but it is fundamentally unsound logic in the first place since it is based on prejudice.

If one were to then go back and read the Paul Krugman blog post that I put up back on page 57 (or so) then at least one can get a sense for the reasoning behind what I have posted - i.e. it is no different to say Jews can't build a synagogue here because an I live here and I don't like Jews so, in order to not cause me pain, they should not build it here - as to argue against the mosque like has been done in this thread. [Note, I have no problem with Jews so for the crass posters here, not AW but others, don't go down that road of taking what I write out of context]

That's my take on it so you can :P my point of view all you want.