On Being an Oppressed White Male

M.Dancer

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Morris, how tall are you? Do you have clear skin? Are you fat? Do you have blue eyes?

Do people look at you when you go down a street - or do they move their gaze away from you?

-----

If it is so hard being a white anglo protestant male, would you be willing to change to be something else? That's the essence of Rawlsian Fairness. If you don't like the cards that life has dealt you, would you prefer another set of cards? (And since we're dealing in stereotypes/generalizations, this is a package deal.) Between white guy and black woman, what would you choose?

Thank God. We in the West largely live in a world where we don't have to choose.

Edited by August1991

• 2 weeks later...
That video is freaking hilarious, thanks for posting. Its so true. Being a young white male and living in the country that i do is freaking awesome. I mean i really hit the jackpot baby!
Does that mean you would willingly change your place and become a young black woman? (Keep in mind, it's a package trade.)
There's a lot of expectations placed on the leader of the pack.
If I understand this argument correctly, Stephen Harper would prefer to give up his position and become Leader of the Opposition because of the burden of being PM.

And before anyone criticizes me by noting that Stephen Harper chose his career but white males cannot choose their colour or race, that was my point. If you could choose, what would be your choice?

Edited by August1991

And before anyone criticizes me by noting that Stephen Harper chose his career but white males cannot choose their colour or race, that was my point. If you could choose, what would be your choice?

The question is meaningless. Most people are attached to their identity and would prefer to continue being whatever they are, even if they had the choice to change, even if some other choice could possibly offer some tangible advantage. In my field of work and study, for example, being a female is pretty much a guarantee of getting any position you apply and are qualified for, because only about 1-2% of people in this field are women. That doesn't mean I'd rather be a woman, however. I like who I am just fine and would not want to change, even if it makes it harder to find a job, for example.

Do you really think most blacks would rather be white, or that most women would rather be men, given the choice? Such a position, if that is what you really contend, is truly ridiculous.

If I understand this argument correctly, Stephen Harper would prefer to give up his position and become Leader of the Opposition because of the burden of being PM.

Thats absurd. All I meant was, it's not always fun being the top dog.

I guess you don't get it.

Edited by Sir Bandelot

The question is meaningless. Most people are attached to their identity and would prefer to continue being whatever they are, even if they had the choice to change...
Point made.

---

IOW, Bonam, you like who you are. Well, how about being Angelina Jolie or Brad Pitt? (You only have one life to live and if you could choose, what would be your choice?)

Would you choose striking beautiful or, just me-normal?

=====

Maybe a civilized society should impose a tax on tall blonde women and tall dark men. People consider themselves "progressives" if they favour higher taxes for people who work more - why not tax the luck of nature, rather than effort?

Edited by August1991

Point made.

---

IOW, Bonam, you like who you are. Well, how about being Angelina Jolie or Brad Pitt? (You only have one life to live and if you could choose, what would be your choice?)

I'd certainly much rather be me than either Angelina or Brad.

People consider themselves "progressives" if they favour higher taxes for people who work more - why not tax the luck of nature, rather than effort?

No one favours higher taxes for people who work more. I know you will find this hard to believe, but many, many people work extremely hard for very little money.

So your assertion is wrong.

I find it difficult to believe you didn't know it was wrong as you were writing it, but maybe....

Edited by bloodyminded

Guest American Woman

That video is freaking hilarious, thanks for posting. Its so true. Being a young white male and living in the country that i do is freaking awesome. I mean i really hit the jackpot baby!

I bet to differ. As a woman living in the U.S., I don't see you, a male living in Canada, as hitting the jackpot.

I totally agree with Bonam:

The question is meaningless. Most people are attached to their identity and would prefer to continue being whatever they are, even if they had the choice to change, even if some other choice could possibly offer some tangible advantage.

Exactly.

In my field of work and study, for example, being a female is pretty much a guarantee of getting any position you apply and are qualified for, because only about 1-2% of people in this field are women. That doesn't mean I'd rather be a woman, however. I like who I am just fine and would not want to change, even if it makes it harder to find a job, for example.

Well said, and while some missed your point, I totally get it and agree.

Do you really think most blacks would rather be white, or that most women would rather be men, given the choice? Such a position, if that is what you really contend, is truly ridiculous.

I couldn't agree more, and again, well said. I'll stay exactly what I am (although I'd readily accept winning the lottery. :P ) and in no way see being a man as more desirable than being a woman.

As I side note, I see this clip as poking fun at white males who whine that they have it rough in today's society; that they are the ones being 'biased' against regarding jobs, etc.

Edited by American Woman

I'd certainly much rather be me than either Angelina or Brad.

Uh why? I think I'd rather be Brad Pitt, personally. Screw the acting, though. I'll just take his money. Well, and Angelina. ;)

No one favours higher taxes for people who work more. I know you will find this hard to believe, but many, many people work extremely hard for very little money.

So your assertion is wrong.

I find it difficult to believe you didn't know it was wrong as you were writing it, but maybe....

Uh, no one favours higher taxes for people who work more? Then why do we have progressive taxation? Why do people with low incomes pay little or no tax while people with high incomes pay almost half of their income in tax?

My suggestion was to tax people's attributes (luck of the draw) and not their efforts. That would seem more fair, no?

For example, people with blue eyes would pay a higher tax than people with brown eyes. Tall people would pay more tax than short people. Some study

So, in effect, our tax system does in general tax tall people more than short people.

----

Making the world a better place is one problem. But making the world a more fair place is something else again. One measure of fair is that no one would choose to have what anyone else has. (Think of cutting a chocolate cake at a children's birthday party.)

Who would choose to have Brad Pitt's piece of the pie (and all that entails)?

I know for certain however that I would not want to trade my lot in life with a woman in Saudi Arabia.

Guest American Woman

Uh, no one favours higher taxes for people who work more? Then why do we have progressive taxation? Why do people with low incomes pay little or no tax while people with high incomes pay almost half of their income in tax?

Who says the people with higher incomes "work more?" People with lower incomes sometimes work two jobs, 60 hour weeks, for less pay than others who work 40 hour, or even 30 hour, weeks. "Low income" isn't synonymous with "less work" by any means.

Furthermore, the people with less income are paying a higher percentage of their income when they pay local and provincial sales taxes, which are the same for everyone, so a progressive income tax helps even things out a bit.

My suggestion was to tax people's attributes (luck of the draw) and not their efforts. That would seem more fair, no?

That doesn't even begin to make sense. For the life of me, I don't get where you're coming from.

For example, people with blue eyes would pay a higher tax than people with brown eyes. Tall people would pay more tax than short people. Some study

So, in effect, our tax system does in general tax tall people more than short people.

:huh:

Making the world a better place is one problem. But making the world a more fair place is something else again. One measure of fair is that no one would choose to have what anyone else has. (Think of cutting a chocolate cake at a children's birthday party.)

Who would choose to have Brad Pitt's piece of the pie (and all that entails)?

A lot of people. Most people, I dare say.

I know for certain however that I would not want to trade my lot in life with a woman in Saudi Arabia.

Nor would I; but that's a completely different issue than the question you originally raised.