Sex Ed taught in Grade1 now!

McGuinty, the province's first Catholic premier, says all publicly funded schools must teach the curriculum, which will see lessons taught to kids as early as Grade 1.

teaching sixth-graders about masturbation and vaginal lubrication and 12 year olds about oral and anal sex

Source

Well the Premier wants our children in Grade 1 to be taught Sexual Education. That's sex ed taught to 5 and 6 year olds. Isn't this robbing them of their childhood? Isn't this the parents responsibility to decide when their children should be taught about Sex Ed and not the States? Is the State saying that they know how to raise our children better then we do?

If kids are having sex at the age of 12 then their is a serious problem with the quality of parenting going on in the urban centres.

Edited by Mr.Canada

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well the Premier wants our children in Grade 1 to be taught Sexual Education. That's sex ed taught to 5 and 6 year olds. Isn't this robbing them of their childhood? Isn't this the parents responsibility to decide when their children should be taught about Sex Ed and not the States? Is the State saying that they know how to raise our children better then we do?

And what is it exactly that it will be taught to children in grade 1?

I think a brick might be better abled than you...never the less...

The new curriculum begins in Grade 1 with lessons about the proper names of body parts.

I don't have a problem with this, my children knew their parts well before kindergarten...

I do have a problem with this...

Grade 3 pupils about such topics as sexual identity and orientation
and introduce terms like “anal intercourse” and “vaginal lubrication” to children in Grades 6 and 7.

http://toronto.ctv.ca/

Catholic schools nmust teach sex ed in Grade 1: McGuity

I worry that an important subject like sex education is going to be taught by teachers to infants. Where do they get their expertise in these matters ? Teaching explicit sex concerning homosexuality to eight year olds is robbing them of innocence. Let them at least enjoy their childhood before inflicting this crap on their little minds.Wonder how my generation ever grew up without the gender benders being stuffed into our little heads.

I predict that this teaching at such an early age by unqualified teachers will cause more problems than it will help the next generation.

I worry that an important subject like sex education is going to be taught by teachers to infants. Where do they get their expertise in these matters ? Teaching explicit sex concerning homosexuality to eight year olds is robbing them of innocence. Let them at least enjoy their childhood before inflicting this crap on their little minds.Wonder how my generation ever grew up without the gender benders being stuffed into our little heads.

I predict that this teaching at such an early age by unqualified teachers will cause more problems than it will help the next generation.

You linked to the main page at CTV, not the article. And the article doesn't have any details on what is to be taught, but points to a controversy - which is what big media loves to do.

I think Michael Hardner had it right: it depends on exactly what is being taught.

Edited by bloodyminded

Well the Premier wants our children in Grade 1 to be taught Sexual Education. That's sex ed taught to 5 and 6 year olds.

so what are they taught exactly???
Isn't this robbing them of their childhood? Isn't this the parents responsibility to decide when their children should be taught about Sex Ed and not the States? Is the State saying that they know how to raise our children better then we do?
chances are the state does know more about your children than you do...
If kids are having sex at the age of 12 then their is a serious problem with the quality of parenting going on in the urban centres.
from all the chats with my rural buddies sex always was on the list of things do from an early age...one was only ten at his first encounter with another ten year old, I guess they learn fast watching the cows, chickens and pigs do what comes naturally... Edited by wyly

Obviously, kids in grade six and seven are already fully aware of these subjects, although they would tend to use the cruder phrases to describe them.

my ten year knows all about homosexuality and a lot of other adult things, kids share all sorts of misinformation on the playground might as well correct them early...the only ones squeamish about this are adults, my wife wants me to have the talk and I want her to do it but the best person is probably a teacher trained to give it.....

Ok, many thanks to the Globe and Mail for at least pointing to a source document, thank God.

Apparently, this "news" has been out since January but since big media doesn't assign people to monitor the government, we have to wait until an interest group starts to squawk.

Here is the item that's causing this to appear in the news - please refer to this in your arguments.

It takes about 5 minutes to download:

Ontario Curriculum for Health and Phys Ed - Grades 1 to 8

Although the group isn't making anything up, some of what they said (re: lubrication) can be misunderstood. Health education teaches students about their own bodies, and doesn't talk about external products or what have you.

Here's a snippet:

Human Development and Sexual Health

C3.3 describe how visible differences (e.g., skin, hair, and eye colour, facial features, body size and

shape, physical aids or different physical abilities, clothing, possessions) and invisible differences

(e.g., learning abilities, skills and talents, personal or cultural values and beliefs, gender identity,

sexual orientation, family background, personal preferences, allergies and sensitivities) make each

person unique, and identify ways of showing respect for differences in others [PS, IS]

• • • • •

Teacher prompt: “Sometimes we are different in ways you can see. Sometimes we are

different in ways you cannot see – such as how we learn, what we think, and what

we are able to do. Give me some examples of things that make each person unique.”

Student: “We all come from different families. Some students live with two parents.

Some live with one parent. Some have two mothers or two fathers. Some live with

grandparents or with caregivers. We may come from different cultures. We also have

different talents and abilities and different things that we find difficult to do.”

Teacher: “How can you be a role model and show respect for differences in

other people?”

Student: “I can include others in what I am doing, invite them to join a group, be willing

to be a partner with anyone for an activity, and be willing to learn about others.”

I am reminded of the dirty ernie stories...

It's show and tell day and the kids are asked to bring something to the class that excites their familiy.

The kids in turn bring photos of vacations, baseballs, hockey pucks etc etc, till it's Ernie's turn.

Ernie gets up, goes to the blackboard and makes a "."

The teacher asks what it is amd why does it excite his family...

Ernie says " It's a period. My sister has missed three of them and my parents are so excited they can't sleep or eat...

Soon, your 12 year old will have the information they need in order to make an intelligent decision when to have anal sex...

sexual activity until one is older (e.g., choosing to abstain from any genital contact; choosing

to abstain from having vaginal or anal intercourse; choosing to abstain from having oral-genital

contact), the reasons for not engaging in sexual activity, and the need to communicate clearly

with each other when making decisions about sexual activity in the relationship

No problem here - give them kids enough information to start experimenting earlier - google 10 year old kids having sex

actually giving them information early delays expermentation, reduces unwanted pregnancies/abortions, STDs and all sorts of problems...ignorance always causes problems, information has always been the cure...

It depends on what is being taught, at what age. One thing that would be useful is to teach the young ones what is sexual abuse. IE that its wrong for someone to touch you in sexual places, or invite you to touch them. this would be a good education to begin at a young age.

it's a logical assumption...that just like any other subject taught in school it's built on simple concepts and developed year by year...unlike other subjects it's something they should know well by the time they're fully equiped and motivated (or pressured)to participate in which is normally starts about age 12-14...

No problem here - give them kids enough information to start experimenting earlier - google 10 year old kids having sex

So let me get this straight. They wouldn't experiment if they weren't told?

When I was five years old, my best friend told me all about the "rabbit in the hole". I had at least some idea of sex before I was ten, though it was most assuredly grossly inaccurate. The point of sex education is to dispel myths, mainly because parents have, for the most part, proven practically useless, being to cowardly to openly discuss these issues themselves.

actually giving them information early delays expermentation, reduces unwanted pregnancies/abortions, STDs and all sorts of problems...ignorance always causes problems, information has always been the cure...

where are those times when in high school all boys did was to pull the girl's bra straps and run away, today I read on the facebook what the children are up to - and it is NO GOOD. I am from old school, there must be something special about having self respect, good morals, values, and it stems from the home - work on those abstinence will follow.

How loosely and easy it has become to engage in the act, "friends with benefits" young children are engaging in the act, folks on Glee are the role models and the teacher emulating and sharing what it means to grow up. How many partners are men and women up to now..30, 50, divorce rate? >55%, in this case sex education is good - make sure you always use those condom folks - they are readily available in schools non?

where are those times when in high school all boys did was to pull the girl's bra straps and run away,

If that's all you did in high school, I feel pretty sorry for you. It would explain your attitudes, mind you. I find most of the people I encounter who are deadset against sex ed were pretty much high school reject types whose idea of sex probably amounted to pulling bra straps.

Edited by ToadBrother

The point of sex education is to dispel myths, mainly because parents have, for the most part, proven practically useless, being to cowardly to openly discuss these issues themselves.

guilty as charged...I still cover my ears and leave the room when the ladies begin their sex talks ...I'm beginning to suspect they're doing it deliberately to embarrass me...