Is it OK to insult Islam in Canada?

Is it OK to insult Islam in this country?  

33 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Around the western world of democratic countries there seems to be some considerable debate about whether or not it's OK to insult Islam. I find this peculiar because for decades holly wood has made films insulting to Christianity.

Do the hardline Christians protest? Sure they do. That's their right.

But the case of Islam becomes intriguingly different for a couple of reasons.

First, a Dutch filmmaker (Theo Van Gogh) was murdered when he made an unflattering film about Islam. He was shot several times then his throat was cut to near decapitation, then a dagger was pinned to his chest with a note full of Islamic threats.

Similarly, not too long ago a Muslim man invaded the home of the guy who made those infamous cartoons depicting Mohammed, and attempted to kill him. My point? It has become increasingly dangerous to speak freely in any disparaging way about Islam. What this means in practise is that certainly you may be free to make a movie about Islam, but really - are you willing to risk it? Steven Spielberg has made some interesting challenging films. Similarly, Brokeback Mountain or Capote were films that were supposed to be "daring" and "fighting the power". But were they really that courageous? Was Billy Graham showing up at Jake Gillenhall's doorstep with a gun and a machete?

Here's a test for Hollywood courage: make a movie about how women are treated in the Middle East and see how much more protection you'll need at the red carpet, let alone your own home.

Second, if threats of violence are not enough to deter you from saying ANYTHING badly about Islam in the media, how about actual government power? As we now know, Mark Steyn and Ezra Levant were hauled out on the carpet at the Human Rights tribunals for saying disparging things about the religion. They eventually won their case, however it was only due to deep pockets and their willingness to fight and fight hard. Imagine a normal private citizen facing the same inquisition? You would be railroaded and the expense would be enormous. In other words, you better just keep your mouth shut about Islam or you'll be paying...and paying and paying, that price.

Is this freedom?

In many many nations in the mid east, it is illegal to insult the prophet. Have we gotten there in our own country, without really realizing it? If we de facto cannot insult the religion here in Canada, are we that far off from the religious tyranny that exists in Saudi Arabia?

http://bnp.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/muslim-march.jpg

Edited by JerrySeinfeld

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, it is ok to insult it. You'll probably be put out to dry by other people who will denounce you as a "racist", prosecuted by a "human rights commission", and possibly murdered by fanatics, but it's still your right to insult it.

That being said...

Here's a test for Hollywood courage: make a movie about how women are treated in the Middle East and see how much more protection you'll need at the red carpet, let alone your own home.

Here's one example:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Not_Without_My_Daughter

I'm sure there must be a few others.

I'd say that in all probability it's not illegal, but certainly would be ignorant and stupid, just as insulting any person for no other reason than ideological prejudice.

If the reason is a bias towards reality, it's not ideological or racial and therefor it's fair game.

Better get to it. There's still a lot of Arab states to go, and that crude ain't gonna last forever~

Not really....UAE, Qatar, Kuwait, Bahrain, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, and Iraq are in the proverbial bag.

Syria is Israel's chew toy.

Iran is not Arab, but it is an Islamic state. Let me see what we can do.

Not really....UAE, Qatar, Kuwait, Bahrain, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, and Iraq are in the proverbial bag.

Meh, some of em could use invading for good measure. All in an afternoon's work I'm sure. Plus there's always Lebanon, Yemen and Oman.

Iran is not Arab, but it is an Islamic state. Let me see what we can do.

kk, lemme know how it goes

Edited by Bonam

Meh, some of em could use invading for good measure. All in an afternoon's work I'm sure.

US forces operate out of most already...less so in Saudi these days. Hell, Dubai built an air base hoping the US Air Force would move right in.

Some of this might be "insulting" to Islam, so our troops get drunk and grab titties in special zones that Allah can't see.

Some of this might be "insulting" to Islam, so our troops get drunk and grab titties in special zones that Allah can't see.

Sounds like a tidy arrangement. I still think the job is incomplete, however. Maybe the US is saving a few targets for its allies to have fun with?

Back to the question . Sure I think it is OK to insult Islam.Hindu,Sihkism,buddism ,Christianity,Jw`s or holy rollers. Thats life. If your insults are lies ,then shame on you. If you are being hurtful just for the sake of being hurtful then shame on you. But if you are telling the truth,or what you percieve to be the truth and someone takes offence ,they should suck it up.

I personally believe that Islam is not a religion of peace as it is being practiced in some mosques. It is exporting terror in the name of God. It`s form of justice and punishment to men and women is barbaric. It depress` the rights of women in some kind of middle ages thinking.

I think like Christianity once had to go through some terrible times during the inquisition Islam is now in the period. Islam is approximately 500 years younger than Christianity and is it not a sad comparison 500 years later Islam seems to have that over zelous bent to it. We should have the right to insult one another. But,always think first of the manners your dear Mom taught you. Now, with saying that, I better go back and see who I have insulted.