Liberal motion fails because Liberals could not whip vote

Apparently not only did 3 Liberals vote against it but 5 Liberals voted for the motion then voted against it. Seriously these are the guys who you want running the country? They can't even vote right. News Liberals you can only vote once not twice no matter how much of a bunch of flip floppers you are.

http://www.cbc.ca/politics/insidepolitics/2010/03/apparently-not-exactly-a-motherhood-issue-liveblogging-the-opposition-day-maternal-and-infant-health.html

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

free vote. What about the previous two words don't you dippers understand?

I understand your party promised a WHIPPED VOTE. So it must be your promises which are worth nothing if it was a free vote.

Sources within the Liberals told CBC News the motion will be a whipped vote for Liberal MPs and that those who failed to show would be disciplined "internally."

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2010/03/23/politics-liberals-contraception-g8-motion.html

What a bad day for the Liberals.

Edit I would also like to say I am sorry for using Iggy instead of Michael Ignatieff . I went back to fix it but could not. I have asked Charles to fix it. Again sorry.

Edited by punked

This story will be forgotten by Friday morning....

It shouldn't be, not for the left of this country who are getting screwed by this party time and time again. Why are they any different from the conservatives? They keep letting them win the snatch defeat from the jaws of victory everytime why would anyone vote for them.

Edited by punked

This story will be forgotten by Friday morning....

Why? Do you think the NDP (after the Liberals riff their anti americanism) or the BQ (wanting to keep their franchise strong) will let the matter drop?

It will be front page in the G&M tomorrow.

Why? Do you think the NDP (after the Liberals riff their anti americanism) or the BQ (wanting to keep their franchise strong) will let the matter drop?

It will be front page in the G&M tomorrow.

As it should be. The issue was none binding, it was only put out there too show people that the Cons don't support womens issues and what it showed was the Liberal party is the same as the conservatives.

As it should be. The issue was none binding, it was only put out there too show people that the Cons don't support womens issues and what it showed was the Liberal party is the same as the conservatives.

I think what they were trying to show was that the Liberals are more radical than the NDP but the backbenchers bucked.

Between promoting abortion as a marternal health issue and saying stay at home mothers don't work, the position of the Liberals on women's issues is tenuos at best.

My bad then... off with their heads in that case!

Here is an idea if you want to govern then at least make sure you have enough pro choice Liberals their to pass a vote. I mean honestly there is no reason why Dion wasn't there too vote. He has been one the biggest womens advocates in parliament, when you can't pass a vote like this AND you have the NDP and the Bloc whipping their vote to make sure it passes you look like maybe you shouldn't be governing.

My bad then... off with their heads in that case!

Absolutely. Membership in the Liberal Caucas means that if for some strange bizarre reason you feel that ripping a fetuc from the womb is not the acme of maternal love that it really really is, and you are opposed to the joy of abortion...., you shut up and vote the way you are told.

Interesting....the strategists have been saying that the liberals need an issue to use to divide themselves from Conservatives (without alienating the centre right or the non militant NDP types....they feel that abortion is the issue, even though it is doubtful anyone in large numbers want to re-open the debate.

It seems even the idea of funding abortion for foreignors divides canadians...and in a % that does not favour the Liberals.

But respondents were almost evenly split as to whether Mr. Harper's initiative should include funding for abortion services, with 48 per cent opposed and 46 per cent in favour.

Maybe they should let the Liberals drive this agenda...with so many Liberal against funding....it could work....

Still, Liberals have to be careful since 40 per cent of the Grit supporters oppose funding abortions and a number of Liberal MPs are passionately pro-life.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/canadians-split-on-funding-abortion/article1509473/

Liberal MP Paul Szabo, who voted against the motion, told LifeSiteNews.com that he was caught off-guard by the topic of the motion, which, he said, was not raised at the party caucus meeting.

“I am a pro-life MP,” said Mr. Szabo, “ and there are many of my colleagues in the Liberal caucus who will protect the unborn in their decisions as parliamentarians, and should matters come before the House, they will continue to act accordingly.”

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/liberals-thwart-raes-reproductive-options-push/article1509893/

First, the Liberal caucus is left out of the thinkers conference. Now a Liberal motion isn't discussed in caucus. Whoever is running that show may have more than a few unhappy campers to answer to.

This just goes to show that the Lib's are a rudderless,isueless ship that is ideologically adrift.In fact,a good case could be made that they've truly been this way since the end of the Trudeau era.John Turner got them nowhere.Jean Chretien got many phony minorities because the right was split.Once that split was fixed,the party did'nt,and still does'nt,have any idea on how to compete in the arena of public policy.I don't think Mr.Ignatieff is going to change that,and until the Liberal Party understand that it is policy that gets you where you want to go(and not trying to play silly games with an asked and answered divisive issue like abortion),they're going to continue spinning their electoral wheels.

I'm afraid to say this,but it may be time to see what the Dips might be able to do in opposition.The Liberals basically agree with most of what a minority Con goverment would do.I have'nt heared anything from them that wouold suggest they would do anything different.Perhaps a true right/left debate on a daily basis would change the game up a little?

I'm afraid to say this,but it may be time to see what the Dips might be able to do in opposition

Fear not....they will forever remain the elected fringe...especially seeing the Liberals are gunning for the moderate wing...

Fear not....they will forever remain the elected fringe...especially seeing the Liberals are gunning for the moderate wing...

Look,as long as the Libs play this mushy middle game with the Cons we never get a true discussion about policy and the direction of the country.It's not healthy for democracy in this country because the opposition is not a principled opposition.By the way,the Con's are'nt terribly principled either,but the Liberals and the Conservatives are so similar it's becoming a silly dance they do..

Blah...I'm sounding like Layton....

Edited by Jack Weber

Don't be. I'm seeing more stability in the NDP than with the Liberals. We deserve a much better opposition than what we're getting now.

I don't agree with the left and it's moral,social,and,cultural relativism...Of course I don't agree with the right and it's free market silliness either.And I'll say this for Layton.You know where he's coming from and you know where that party is coming rom.And I think if Layton was the opposition leader it would force Harper to be the conservative the conservatives in this country want him to be.And it would force Layton and the NDP to come a little more to the centre and actually embrace ELECTABLE social democracy.And we get a true clash of ideas.The Lib's unfortunately stand for absolutely nothing anymore other than trying to get back into power for powers sake...

Edited by Jack Weber

I don't agree with the left and it's moral,social,and,cultural relativism...Of course I don't agree with the right and it's free market silliness either.And I'll say this for Layton.You know where he's coming from and you know where that party is coming rom.And I think if Layton was the opposition leader it would force Harper to be the conservative the conservatives in this country want him to be.And it would force Layton and the NDP to come a little more to the centre and actually embrace ELECTABLE social democracy.And we get a true clash of ideas.The Lib's unfortunately stand for absolutely nothing anymore other than trying to get back into power for powers sake...

If Layton was the opposition, the conservatives would have a landslide majority in short order....

I can see it now, nationalize banks, mandatory weeping for men after sex...

If Layton was the opposition, the conservatives would have a landslide majority in short order....

I can see it now, nationalize banks, mandatory weeping for men after sex...

Probably...Mainly because this NDP is so far removed from Tommy Douglas NDP that it would turn off almost everyone outside of most urban settings.It would be an interesting debate,nonetheless.

I assume Jack would have us turn in our Man Cards at tax time,as well?

That silliness is nothing more than a wealth redistribution excercise upward.That's what the Friedmanites like and it's wholly unsupportable...

Is it?

The idea of rewarding success instead of punishing it is unsupportable?

There may be winners and there may be losers, but at least there is the opportunity to be a winner rather than being neither.

The NYSE has been around since 1792. The USSR lasted 80 years.

Is it?

The idea of rewarding success instead of punishing it is unsupportable?

There may be winners and there may be losers, but at least there is the opportunity to be a winner rather than being neither.

The NYSE has been around since 1792. The USSR lasted 80 years.

Right...

Because if I don't support unfettered free markets I'm a communist.... :rolleyes::lol: