Why I love the Olympics.

And of course it wouldn't have upset Team Canada at all if they had been beaten by the U.S. and won the Silver for hockey instead of the Gold, eh? Wouldn't have upset them at all knowing they were NUMBER TWO.

May have been more upsetting for us, to be honest. Hockey is pretty intense, and the players are very competitive. It`s hard for anyone to lose. I felt bad for Zach Parise. You could see how tough it was on him to lose this one, after he had tied it up.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest American Woman
May have been more upsetting for us, to be honest.

I think it would have been more upsetting for Canadians as a whole than it was for Americans, but I think it was upsetting for the team to lose after coming so close with the last-minute tie. I think the team would have loved to be able to say they beat Canada -- in Canada. But playing on your ice, for the Olympic Gold record, I have to agree that it would have been even more upsetting for Team Canada if they had lost.

Hockey is pretty intense, and the players are very competitive. It`s hard for anyone to lose. I felt bad for Zach Parise. You could see how tough it was on him to lose this one, after he had tied it up.

I felt bad for Miller. I'm sure he felt as if he let the team down when the puck flew into the net. I thought he looked devastated.

I just don't understand the criticism that was directed at the U.S. for "being upset for being number two." It's crazy because there's no way Team Canada wouldn't have been upset to get the Silver or Bronze. Why the U.S. was singled out for criticism is a mystery to me.

I just don't understand the criticism that was directed at the U.S. for "being upset for being number two." It's crazy because there's no way Team Canada wouldn't have been upset to get the Silver or Bronze. Why the U.S. was singled out for criticism is a mystery to me.

I agree with you. The only people who would care are hockey fans and those players. And they would not feel any worse than Canadian fans would. As for being Number 2, I don`t think anyone can really claim Number one status after that game.

Miller probably does feel bad, but he was flawless. The Crosby goal just happened really quick. Someone either has to score in overtime or in the shootout. It`s always a toss up then. No one knows what will happen.

Guest American Woman

I agree with you. The only people who would care are hockey fans and those players. And they would not feel any worse than Canadian fans would. As for being Number 2, I don`t think anyone can really claim Number one status after that game.

That's a nice thing to say. It was quite the game, for sure! They were two incredibly well matched teams, I thought. I didn't think the US started out as strong as Canada, though, but it didn't last long. Miller, however, was on top of the game from the get-go. Both teams worked hard for their goals.

Miller probably does feel bad, but he was flawless. The Crosby goal just happened really quick. Someone either has to score in overtime or in the shootout. It`s always a toss up then. No one knows what will happen.

Miller impressed the heck out of me; I think that's why I didn't see that final goal coming. I agree with you that it was just too quick and accurate and it got past him. It's tough when it all comes down to who scores first in overtime. It's like you said, it could have gone either way; especially with two such superb teams.

I was emotionally drained when it was over. It seemed to go by so fast, too. Quite the end to an impressive Olympic Games.

As a side note, the shots of BC that aired before the game -- absolutely gorgeous.

I haven`t asked the majority of hockey players how they feel, but I think the Stanley Cup is a much higher priority for North American players for sure.

I'm not sure why you would say that. People win the Stanley Cup every year. They don't win an Olympic Gold Medal.

I'm not sure why you would say that. People win the Stanley Cup every year. They don't win an Olympic Gold Medal.

Because in North America the Stanley Cup is the dream. Fans and players alike grow up watching the NHL.

I think either The Hockey News or Hockey Digest polled NHL players on this and it was something like 90 percent of players chose the Cup.

I have always heard people say that North Americans want the cup, Euros want the gold. This is also one of the many criticism people have against certain Euro NHL players. Not all of course. But people often complain of the lack of passion among certain high skilled euros in the NHL who seem to find more grit when it comes to playing for their home country.

Edited by jefferiah

Guest American Woman

Because in North America the Stanley Cup is the dream. Fans and players alike grow up watching the NHL.

I agree. The Cup represents their success in their career; it's proof of their accomplishment as a professional hockey player, and I would think that's the dream for most hockey players-- to have a successful career (which generally includes big bucks). So it's proof of their accomplishments as professionals-- and their names are engraved forever for posterity to see and remember. :)

For me, as a guy who watches hockey all the time, I was kinda of panicking about how life was going to suck for two weeks without the NHL. But I did enjoy it alot so all's well.

To Alta, who said he hasn't watched this game for a while, I recommend giving it a shot again. There's a really great cast of players out there now. And it's a shame if that Canada - Russia game is your only chance to see Ovechkin play. That guy is one highly-competitive, skilled player.

For me, as a guy who watches hockey all the time, I was kinda of panicking about how life was going to suck for two weeks without the NHL. But I did enjoy it alot so all's well.

To Alta, who said he hasn't watched this game for a while, I recommend giving it a shot again. There's a really great cast of players out there now. And it's a shame if that Canada - Russia game is your only chance to see Ovechkin play. That guy is one highly-competitive, skilled player.

Nowadays, I barely watch hockey except during the Cup finals or the Olympic. Let's admit it, the avarage NHL game pales in comparison to most games we have seen over the past two weeks. I'll take yesterday's game or even Canada-Switzerland any time over Toronto-Carolina.

As for North American players choosing the Cup overthe gold - no surprise there, it is so part of our culture (Canada's anyway). But let's face it, rarely will any of our top players say no to the chance to represent our country at the highest level.

Edited by CANADIEN

I have been watching more WHL lately I like the grit not the finesse.

I have been watching more WHL lately I like the grit not the finesse.

Speaking of Ovechkin again, this guy is not just finesse. He hits hard and plays with unparalleled intensity.

To Canadien, I think the last two games Canada played in were pretty good. But I see better games in the NHL all the time. Especially in the playoffs. Funny you should mention Carolina. I think the Hurricanes upset of the Bruins in the second round last year was far more exciting than any Olympic hockey I saw.

Edited by jefferiah

And of course it wouldn't have upset Team Canada at all if they had been beaten by the U.S. and won the Silver for hockey instead of the Gold, eh? Wouldn't have upset them at all knowing they were NUMBER TWO.

No different than how your hockey team would have felt getting the Silver or Bronze. And that has to be just as much of a shame. <_<

And not just hockey either. I think most Canadians will remember seeing Jennifer Heil early in the games and how disappointed she was to settle for a silver medal.

For fans, if your country wins a silver medal in some sport, you say "hey, that's pretty good" and move on. But it's much more difficult for the athletes to swallow, especially when you have high expectations.

For most of us, being second best in the whole world would be a really great accomplishment, but for the US hockey men, the US hockey women, Jennifer Heil, and lots of others, it means they fell short of their goal. They all came to the games believing they could win and determined to prove they were the best in the world. They all came up just a little bit short. It's easy to say finishing second is pretty good if you were expecting to finish 8th. It's tough to say finishing second is pretty good if you had your heart set on finishing first.

-k

Second place in a competition of two (like hockey) vs. a group final (like short track skating) are two different experiences. Gold is the dream in both, but only in the former do you have to be the definitive loser of the match to pick up the silver. At least in the bronze match you get to win to earn your medal.

In terms of hockey, both the US and Canada showed up for the final. It really could have gone either way. Miller was nearly impenetrable. He was the player of the series.

For both the men and the women, the appearance of Canada and the US in the finals shows the high quality of the hockey programs in both countries.

fwiw, here's a fairly decent photo essay on the agony of being second place.

I think either The Hockey News or Hockey Digest polled NHL players on this and it was something like 90 percent of players chose the Cup.

that's because 90% have no chance of ever playing in the O's...and even fewer yet have a chance of winning it...
I have always heard people say that North Americans want the cup, Euros want the gold. This is also one of the many criticism people have against certain Euro NHL players. Not all of course. But people often complain of the lack of passion among certain high skilled euros in the NHL who seem to find more grit when it comes to playing for their home country.

that would run counter to every NHLer I've ever heard interviewed on Cup vs Gold for their country, I've never heard one say the cup was better...the O's are special...

And not just hockey either. I think most Canadians will remember seeing Jennifer Heil early in the games and how disappointed she was to settle for a silver medal.

For fans, if your country wins a silver medal in some sport, you say "hey, that's pretty good" and move on. But it's much more difficult for the athletes to swallow, especially when you have high expectations.

For most of us, being second best in the whole world would be a really great accomplishment, but for the US hockey men, the US hockey women, Jennifer Heil, and lots of others, it means they fell short of their goal. They all came to the games believing they could win and determined to prove they were the best in the world. They all came up just a little bit short. It's easy to say finishing second is pretty good if you were expecting to finish 8th. It's tough to say finishing second is pretty good if you had your heart set on finishing first.

-k

Ski Cross was cool. I would love to see more of it.

that's because 90% have no chance of ever playing in the O's...and even fewer yet have a chance of winning it...

I would think the hypothetical question as to whether or not you would rather win the Cup or a medal includes the hypothetical situation that you are on the team that wins it.

The closing ceremonies were quite odd.

Listening to that dude attempting to speak French was pretty painful.

I liked the Russian presentation.

I thought having Neil Young sing the torch out was nice, but the choice of song seemed odd... I've always thought "Long May You Run" was someone reminiscing about his first car.

The Shat was cool. Catherine O'Hara being "swept to the button" like a curling rock was pretty funny... too bad none of her material was remotely amusing.

Giant inflatable table-hockey figures, beavers, Dudley Dooright mounties... strippers dressed as mounties fawning over Michel Buble? All of this left me wondering if my favorite chinese restaurant had slipped some *special* mushrooms into my take-out.

And the musical presentation... oh god... when the music starts with Nickelback and get *worse* from there, I can't think of anything to say except "sorry, world, lol!" Like, they put Simple Plan on stage... was that their way of getting people to decide to leave?

-k

“The middle finger and the giant raspberry go to the Canadian ice hockey team. Were they on drugs the day they beat Russia so overwhelmingly?"

----

“We will never know, will we?” asked Pravda online about the potential of the Canadians being on drugs. “We will never know, because the officials at Vancouver predictably did not mete out to the Canadians the shockingly humiliating treatment given to the Russian skier Natalya Korosteleva, asked to produce a urine sample during the break between the quarter-and semi-finals of her event. Had she complied, she would not have had time to enter the semis. And such was the hounding of the Russian athletes that there are rumours many refused to eat for fear their food would be laced with steroids.”

http://www.ottawasun.com/sports/hockey/2010/03/01/13075781.html

Who else beside Canada was involved in this conspiracy to sabotage the performance of Russian athletes? :lol: :lol:

For the protection of our athletes, maybe we need to send food tasters and testers to Sochi. You never know. :lol::o

http://www.ottawasun.com/sports/hockey/2010/03/01/13075781.html

Who else beside Canada was involved in this conspiracy to sabotage the performance of Russian athletes? :lol: :lol:

For the protection of our athletes, maybe we need to send food tasters and testers to Sochi. You never know. :lol::o

If the Russians hadn't been so notorious for doping in previous Olympics, perhaps they wouldn't attract this kind of attention.? Becky Scott got her gold at Nagano because the two Russians in front of her failed doping tests.

Speaking of Sochi, we went to Sochi House and they had a huge model of the Olympic venue. If you think we spent a lot, it was peanuts compared to what they are spending. It looks like a winter version of Beijing. Everything brand new.

Edited by Wilber

The closing ceremonies were quite odd.

I liked the Russian presentation.

I thought having Neil Young sing the torch out was nice, but the choice of song seemed odd... I've always thought "Long May You Run" was someone reminiscing about his first car.

The Shat was cool. Catherine O'Hara being "swept to the button" like a curling rock was pretty funny... too bad none of her material was remotely amusing.

Giant inflatable table-hockey figures, beavers, Dudley Dooright mounties... strippers dressed as mounties fawning over Michel Buble? All of this left me wondering if my favorite chinese restaurant had slipped some *special* mushrooms into my take-out.

And the musical presentation... oh god... when the music starts with Nickelback and get *worse* from there, I can't think of anything to say except "sorry, world, lol!" Like, they put Simple Plan on stage... was that their way of getting people to decide to leave?

-k

The were interesting. I thought the the way they handled the cauldron was inspired. In a way it typified this games in the manner they dealt with its problems. They either fixed them or made them work to their advantage.

I also liked the Russian presentation. One nitpick, they have a great anthem but it would be even better if it was half as long.

Although I like Shatner's willingness to make fun of himself (kind of a Leslie Nielson without the whoopee cushion at times) and think Mike Fox is something of a national treasure, I have never liked I am Canadian skits of any kind. Catherine O'Hara just sucked.

Love Neil Young and even though I like it, also wonder about the choice of song. As for the rest of the acts, liked some more than others which is what you would expect with that many. I don't know how they were picked but a thought came to mind. Seeing it is supposed to be the athletes party, it would have been great if they had got the athletes of each region of Canada to chose one to represent them.

I enjoyed the parody. It was sufficiently over the top to prevent anyone from taking it seriously.

Even though John Furlong's French was excruciating, it was a great speech and said a lot about the man. A class act. An Irish immigrant who has done more to make Canadians proud than any politician I can think of. If you think the games were a success and want to thank just one person. Look no farther.

We always look forward to the Winter Olympics because it's too weeks of excitement and a reason to party during the cold weather. (Okay, it wasn't usually that cold this year :P). It brings Nations together and yet separates them. New Friends are always made. The sports seem tougher in the winter. I particularly like the Hockey, figure and speedskaters. We always start off slow for some reason but bring it up in the end.

We were not impressed by the closing ceremony. The inflatables were stupid. O'Hara made my Daughter cry in embarrassment. I haven't liked Shatner since Star Trek. Good to see Michael Fox and most of the others. We wondered where Mike Myers was.

But hey, in the end...Canada Rocked the World. We are Golden!! :)

I don't even speak more than a few words of French and I knew it was horrible...you would think with four years to practice he could have memorized a few lines and got it right...

plus he can no longer sing...

loved the Shattner, O'hara was embarrassing, shoot the guy that wrote the material...
loved the strippers :D Buble was good..

the IOC is trying to reach a younger audience but even my kids were moaning about Simple Plan...I was hoping for an appearance by Great Big Sea, if you want a party atmosphere that would seem to me the band you would want...

I guess you can never satisfy some critics. If I had to guess, I would say that Furlong only spoke French because of earlier complaints. I doubt he had four years to memorize it. He was the reason the games were here, so I think we can cut him some slack. Honestly, I think that some of you spent so much time picking things apart that you missed the excitement that it generated across the nation. The details were unimportant.

I don't even speak more than a few words of French and I knew it was horrible...you would think with four years to practice he could have memorized a few lines and got it right...

You should read his bio, learning French was the last thing he had time for. That considered, it was still awful.