Anyone remember how many times Chretien prorogued Parliament?

The public service crowd doesn't give a rats ass about proruging parliament.

True the majority don't. But I remember as a public servant, if there were open air events in downtown Ottawa a lot of us would show up just to gawk. Like I said, free live entertainment would draw more of us.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I assume the edict has come down from CPC Party Central. I notice that there are two tacts being worked here, 1) tell everyone that no one cares about this and 2) tell everyone that the Liberals didit more.

Few are buying this.

Carry on.

:lol: I jus' can't figger out WHERE the 61% of polled folks who DO care about prorgation are comin' from?!?!

They aren't public servants...they aren't middle aged folks.... they aren't Joe Public...they're ghosts, I tells ya! GHOSTS! :rolleyes:

I think some of the problems in the Commons wouldn't appear if the MP's would vote the way the people they represent would want them to and not for the way the leader expects them too.

Given the technology of the Internet it should be very easy for any MP to find out exactly what their constituents want.

:lol: I jus' can't figger out WHERE the 61% of polled folks who DO care about prorgation are comin' from?!?!

They aren't public servants...they aren't middle aged folks.... they aren't Joe Public...they're ghosts, I tells ya! GHOSTS! :rolleyes:

For the most part, when asked if they care that the goverment is out people will say they do, because after all, the media has been screaming from the rooftops for weeks now that they should, and besides, a lot of them are irked the MPs are having what they consider an extended holiday. In fact, that was what the only public servant I found who cared about them said, and she's a leftie.

But do they care MUCH? Nope. The polls are the result of weeks of unrelenting hostile headlines for Harper, but as they subside the polls will rebound.

For the most part, when asked if they care that the goverment is out people will say they do, because after all, the media has been screaming from the rooftops for weeks now that they should, and besides, a lot of them are irked the MPs are having what they consider an extended holiday. In fact, that was what the only public servant I found who cared about them said, and she's a leftie.

But do they care MUCH? Nope. The polls are the result of weeks of unrelenting hostile headlines for Harper, but as they subside the polls will rebound.

So let me get this straight. People are navel-gazing morons who can be manipulated by the media and have no capacity to judge events ont heir own. Is this your new strategy to defend Harper's actions? The way you make it sound, we probably shouldn't have elected legislatures at all, lest all the idiotic electorate be manipulated by the evil media.

Your grasping at straws. It's kinda funny, it's also extraordinarily pathetic. Are you making this one up on your own, or is this a new talking point from Tory HQ?

Edited by ToadBrother

At any rate, do you accept the principle that Government is ultimately subservient to Parliament?

It's certainly only a priciple, no Prime Minsiter has paid any attention to the House of Commons unless absolutely forced to do so.

Why would they, since as long as their whips maintain discipline the Opposition is irrelevant in terms of governance?

Nobody cares....Nobody cares....Nobody cares....Nobody cares....

Don't look behind the screen either!!!

Don't look behind the screen either!!!

I KNOW!!!!

First nobody cares....then when you point out that more than one poll disproves that theory, it's 'well, they say they care in the poll 'cause they wanna look informed, but they don't REALLY care'...he KNOWS!! His crystal ball never lies!!! :rolleyes:

Edited by EyesWideOpen

• 2 weeks later...

IF it was wrong when Chretien did it, then why didn't the opposition parties do something about it????

The last time that Chretien prorogued, Nov. 12, 2003, the Leader of the Opposition was a Canadian Alliance MP named Stephen Harper. They didn't put up to much of a fuss over prorogation because they were too busy fighting amongst themselves over their merger with the Progressive Conservatives. While Parliament was prorogued, Stephen Harper quit his job as Leader of the Opposition so that he could run for the leadership of the new Conservative Party. Parliament resumed on February 4, 2004 with Grant Hill as Leader of the Opposition. Stephen Harper didn't return to Parliament and his job as Leader of the Opposition until March 22, 2004. Here is an excerpt from Hansard for March 22, 2004:

"Mr. Stephen Harper (Leader of the Opposition): Mr. Speaker, I have to ask if anything happened while I was away."

Edited by robert_viera