Do we really have a problem with theft?

Argus

I used to steal comic books when I was younger, and would also snatch change from my father's suit pockets after he'd been at the bar. I think in both cases I saw them as "rich" and "not missing it".

Most of us are reasonably honest, and if we found a wallet with money in it would try to return it. I would anyway. Then again, I'm not poor. Maybe my determination would waver if I was.

And I think that for many people, the "need" factor is an important element in this kind of moral dilemna. If you don't "need" it there's no dilemna. And of course, how much does the rightful owner "need" what we want? The less we see them as needing it the less likely we are to respect their ownership.

People download music and movies because they figure the rightful owners have tons of money anyway, and it's no big deal. People will cheat on their taxes if they think they can get away with it, or raise their insurance claim a little, because they figure "they have more money than they know what to do with anyway".

So would you take money that didn't belong to you if you knew without question it would be safe to do so, that no one would ever know, that you would never be caught? Would your decision be affected by how wealthy the legal owner was?

If you found a wad of cash, ten or twenty thousand dollars, and knew that Bill Gates was the rightful owner. It was his "tip money" which had fallen out of his jacket pocket, would you try to get it back to him?

If you found the secret account number and pass code for one of Saddam Hussein's lost slush funds, with half a billion dollars in it, would you use it, or would you go and find the Iraqi ambassador to inform him of where hundreds of millions could be found?

I remember when I was 5 or 6 years old, I went to the corner store. I saw a "super-ball" that was 25 cents. All I had was 5 cents, so I stole it. I went to my school and bounced it against the wall for a while. But then I thought, shouldn't steal it. So I took it back to the store, discreetly put it back in the box and left.

No one told me not to steal it, no one forced me to bring it back. But I knew it was wrong, and I made the moral choice on my own. I still try to live by those ideals now, never try to screw someone over, even if they don't know about it. You see, there really is no other choice for me, thats just the way I am.

Now ask yourself, what are you

Stealing is never right. That is not to say I don't understand why it happens sometimes.

Also you have some real strange posts as of late. Would you rape? Would you kill? What brought all this on?

The header on this board is Moral and Ethical Issues, right? So I decided to ask moral/ethical questions.

Edited by Argus

Now ask yourself, what are you

Practical - and not nearly as holy and noble as you are, obviously.

No, I would not give Bill Gates back his money. And yes, I would indeed raid Saddaam's bank account and take as many millions as I could get away with. I could do an awful lot of good with that money - not to mention having a lot of fun with it.

But I would not steal from an ordinary person. I wouldn't steal a small amount. It would have to be very large to tempt me.

Edited by Argus

I used to steal comic books when I was younger, and would also snatch change from my father's suit pockets after he'd been at the bar. I think in both cases I saw them as "rich" and "not missing it".

If you found the secret account number and pass code for one of Saddam Hussein's lost slush funds, with half a billion dollars in it, would you use it, or would you go and find the Iraqi ambassador to inform him of where hundreds of millions could be found?

What is your point, Argus? Why this OP?

By any objective measure, crime in Canada is lower now than when you were young.

In 2009, there were fewer murders and fewer reported thefts than in 1989. Canada is apparently a safer place.

So Argus, what's your point?

This got me to thinking...I hope Argus isn't responsible for very much of our public money....
The terrifying thought is that Argus is a typical civil servant.

Why am I Right Wing? Because more government means more civil servants like Argus. The Left doesn't understand this.

Bob Rae wants to hire more civil servants but what Bob Rae doesn't understand, he'll just have more people like Argus on staff.

Edited by August1991

The terrifying thought is that Argus is a typical civil servant.

Why is that terrifying? In fact, in my own assessment I'm more responsible and capable than most. I was hired and promoted due to my skills, while huge numbers of civil servants were hired and promoted because they speak French.

Why am I Right Wing? Because more government means more civil servants like Argus. The Left doesn't understand this.

You're not right wing. You're just not smart enough to know what right wing is. You had a bad experience with civil servants and so you hate civil servants. And you'd like your taxes to be lower. You think this makes you right wing. Actually, you're just another whiny, spoiled Quebecer. If anyone suggested taking away any of your "entitlements" you'd be aghast, and the fact they come from taxpayers - mostly taxpayers elsewhere in Canada - is not something you care to acknowledge.

Bob Rae wants to hire more civil servants but what Bob Rae doesn't understand, he'll just have more people like Argus on staff.

Not to worry. Most will be whiny Quebecers hired because they are bilingual. Some of them might even have chips on their shoulders and a big ol stick up their ass like August.

Edited by Argus

I stole one small toy from a friend one time. It was explained to me why it was wrong, and so I never did it again. At times, people disgust me.

I'm trying to decide if this is the most self-righteous post you've ever made, but you've done so many it's hard to recall.

BTW, the Pope called, he says he had plans to make you a saint but you're just too darn good and noble for that.

Found Money Dilemma

Would you keep $10 M bank error

It's intersting that such questions can be asked elsewhere, and people can answer with a little more thought. But it seems that mapleleaf is oversupplied with self righteous moral prigs who are aghast at the thought anyone would keep money which doesn't belong to them, so aghast that simply saying so is insufficient. They have to denounce anyone who would even ask the question!

Edited by Argus

I can't imagine myself stealing. Perhaps you can, but I can't.

It's in the bible, shall not steal from fellow jews (commandments). However, when God sent them into other peoples land they were order to wipe out those people and to take their wealth and put it into the treasury of the Lord. Because Canada is a multicultural craphole we are not among brothers but among those who the rules of decency do not apply. If you have to steal because you are kicked through the cracks of a debauched society such as Canada you can't feel guilty for it. You have to do whatever it takes to put yourself back where you are aquiring wealth. When your choice to earn wealth has been stripped away from you by a debauched society you owe that society nothing. If you have to take it to square things out so be it.

In the bible sense it's wrong to steal from family, friends, and people you know; certainly a sin. If you do not know the people, no problem, no sin.

[in] the bible, shall not steal from fellow jews (commandments). However, when God sent them into other peoples land they were order to wipe out those people and to take their wealth and put it into the treasury of the Lord. Because Canada is a multicultural craphole we are not among brothers but among those who the rules of decency do not apply.

But, by that "logic", without the non-Christian Gentiles who make Canada a "crap hole", Canadian Christians and Jews would be all the poorer for not being able to do the Biblically decent thing and kill and thieve from other peoples. Why get rid of your supply of both moral and physical wealth, Whoowhee?

But, by that "logic", without the non-Christian Gentiles who make Canada a "crap hole", Canadian Christians and Jews would be all the poorer for not being able to do the Biblically decent thing and kill and thieve from other peoples. Why get rid of your supply of both moral and physical wealth, Whoowhee?

Good of you to support taking from your fellow compatriot if you are driven to those depths of society. As I am not a Jew and I reject Christians you are all open season, you are right. :o

As I am not a Jew and I reject Christians you are all open season, you are right.

If you're neither Jew nor Christian (I guess your signature is supposed to be ironic?), then, again according to your Biblical logic, you're the prey during open season! I guess, then, you want Jews and Christians out of Canada.

[+]

Edited by g_bambino

If you're neither Jew nor Christian (I guess your signature is supposed to be ironic?), then, again according to your Biblical logic, you're the prey during open season! I guess, then, you want Jews and Christians out of Canada.

[+]

first of all to be a jew you have to have a blood connection and you would be related to Abraham and Jacob (Isreal). Christians are a parasite religion. Supposedly Jesus was a Jew and he preached to Jews. Christianity is more because of Paul than Jesus. The church is also because of Paul, not Jesus. This God has been shoved down our throats and when its convenient for people to judge and throw stones you have to meet the enemy in kind. My ancestory traces to Roman Roots not Jewish Roots. God of Rome was Jupiter, the Romans burnt down the Jewish Temple so that ought to reveal what they thought of the Jewish Religion. How I am with the God of the OT has nothing to do with you and anyone else. Because the God of the OT claims to be the king of Gods, and Jupiter also claims to be the king of Gods I am torn between the too. Also Rome operated by TAKING WEALTH AND ENSLAVING non Roman Citizens. Through Biblical and historical Roman reference its ok to Take so long as they are not friends, family, or people known.

Through Biblical and historical Roman reference its ok to Take so long as they are not friends, family, or people known.

Well, good luck defending yourself against those supposedly hoarding, murdering Jews (with their genetically infused religion) and Christians out to do the decent thing of robbing and killing you! (Though, they just might be after reading your bigoted posts...)