Chickens coming home to roost

The theory runs that American aggression is the chief cause of tension and conflict in the world. The simple departure of Chimpy Bushitler, and his evil partner, Dick Cheney, alone, many believed, would alleviate much of the danger in the world.

"And so, the Anointed One went unto the world, and said unto the world, 'I come with an open hand, if only you unclench the fist'."

The world seems to be reacting accordingly. There are now a number of chickens coming home to roost, perhaps in 2010, perhaps in 2011 ... perhaps in 2012. 

Russia has announced plans to develop a new generation of nuclear weapons — and scoffed at our polite suggestions that it should pressure Iran to stop its nuclear development.

Venezuela brags of its own similar program to come — which could threaten all the neighboring democracies in the region.

The administration courted China on a much-heralded Asian tour. President Obama even has said he would be our first “Pacific president.”

Unfortunately, China was not impressed. It declined to follow our advice about reducing its carbon footprint and instead reminded Americans that we owe the Chinese people nearly $1 trillion. Expect much more of that hectoring in 2010 as our debt to China grows.

http://article.nationalreview.com/?q=YzFlMGZkZjYxMTU2NDkwOWFhYWQxNGQ1Njk5MDk2YTA=

Meanwhile, domestically, another small flock of hens are approaching.

The Obama administration inherited a $500 billion deficit and expanded it threefold. Its planned mega-deficits may well grow the aggregate national debt to more than $20 trillion over the next decade

The administration’s 2009 calculations on how to service the growing red ink are based on continued cheap interest. Yet in 2010, it is likely we will see rising inflation, rising interest rates — and rising costs to the continual self-destructive borrowing.

But let's avert our eyes from things like the economy, or energy prices. It wouldn't be fair, would it, to consider our wait to see how well wind and solar do at filling the gap "a chicken coming home to roost". But terrorism is another matter ...

In 2009, some in the Obama administration decided “War on Terror” was too provocative a label for what might be better dubbed “overseas contingency operations.” Apparently, they were thinking a kinder, gentler image would discourage terrorists.... Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, was promised a civil trial in New York rather than the military tribunal normally accorded to out-of-uniform murderous terrorists. Expect a lot of soapbox speechmaking about America’s sins during his testimony in 2010.

As part of our efforts to break with the Bush antiterrorism past, President Obama also vowed he would close the facility at Guantanamo Bay by Jan. 22, 2010 — another deadline that won’t be met.... [W]hile we assured the world in 2009 that we wouldn’t be overzealous in our various efforts to stop terrorists, the terrorists proved they most certainly would be in theirs to kill us.

Personally, I think the easiest prediction of all, for next year, is that Obama's foreign policy will be tested in ways that force him to make a military response or to withdraw power from areas of influence, thus creating power vacuums, and more dangerous times.

The theory runs that American aggression is the chief cause of tension and conflict in the world. The simple departure of Chimpy Bushitler, and his evil partner, Dick Cheney, alone, many believed, would alleviate much of the danger in the world.

"And so, the Anointed One went unto the world, and said unto the world, 'I come with an open hand, if only you unclench the fist'."

The world seems to be reacting accordingly. There are now a number of chickens coming home to roost, perhaps in 2010, perhaps in 2011 ... perhaps in 2012. 

Meanwhile, domestically, another small flock of hens are approaching.

But let's avert our eyes from things like the economy, or energy prices. It wouldn't be fair, would it, to consider our wait to see how well wind and solar do at filling the gap "a chicken coming home to roost". But terrorism is another matter ...

Personally, I think the easiest prediction of all, for next year, is that Obama's foreign policy will be tested in ways that force him to make a military response or to withdraw power from areas of influence, thus creating power vacuums, and more dangerous times.

It is not just foreign problems as you say. Add the cost of Social Security for the baby boomers to the health care costs associated with their recent changes and the picture start to firm up. Look at the debt to GDP ratio but factor in the obvious flaw of government spending and the picture becomes even more clear. The Americans have always come back bigger and better than before, always. This time that may not be the case. When you look at the Chinese bubble, the guys holding trillions of US debt, their artificially low dollar, their shady accounting, and their bogus central banking then things become more curious by the minute.

It is not just foreign problems as you say. Add the cost of Social Security for the baby boomers to the health care costs associated with their recent changes and the picture start to firm up. Look at the debt to GDP ratio but factor in the obvious flaw of government spending and the picture becomes even more clear. The Americans have always come back bigger and better than before, always. This time that may not be the case. When you look at the Chinese bubble, the guys holding trillions of US debt, their artificially low dollar, their shady accounting, and their bogus central banking then things become more curious by the minute.

You make a handful of very valid points. These are returning chickens, but they don't seem to me to be Obama's chickens. These are the Ghosts of Congresses past ... In fact, these were the issues that George W. Bush thought he would be dealing with in his term -- not a War on Terrorism.

More and more, I see Obama as a tragic figure. He's likable and he can appeal to the best in people. He has an attractive family. People want him to succeed, but he has been thrown into the pressure seat at the very moment that the sirens began to blow, and Spock reports that the shields are down to 10%. He's taken the Enterprise down a worm-hole, and now he doesn't know how to get out ... and his advisors are shape-shifters who are working for the Reptiles.

He even seems to me to have started physically withering, and turning grey. Maybe the reptiles have zombied him.

Theodore Roosevelt said America should walk softly but carry a big stick.

I don't think this Obama is a pushover.

Methinks President Obama got distracted for a spell...then some punk with energetic underwear brought him back to political reality.
The Right likes to think that he's Carter Part II but I think that Obama is a product of Chicago politics and, well, he's smarter than Carter.

Anyway, you Americans will decide all this again in 2012. If Obama has the moxy, he'll be president until 2016.

---

Americans put a Roosevelt against a Hitler. I'm not surprised that they would put an Obama against an Osama.

The Right likes to think that he's Carter Part II but I think that Obama is a product of Chicago politics and, well, he's smarter than Carter.

So far, he has Carter's metrics, and must purposely act to avoid the same fate.

Anyway, you Americans will decide all this again in 2012. If Obama has the moxy, he'll be president until 2016.

OK...that means there is some more high tech killin' to be done....if only for the 2010 mid-terms.

Americans put a Roosevelt against a Hitler. I'm not surprised that they would put an Obama against an Osama.

Clever observation, but I think that Obama and Company took their eyes off the ball, hoping that continuing the Bush-Cheney Gang's brass knuckle policies would be good enough until health care was put to bed.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

... until health care was put to bed.
All things considered, the State should be involved in money & banking and health care. If Obama pulls this one off - even in a pathetic, watered down form, he'll be the darling of the 2010s Left.

In the 1960s, Johnson got Medicare. Then again, Bush Jnr did the pharmacare deal.

If I understand rightly, some 30 million people in America will still have no health insurance even if Obama signs this congressional health law.

In practical terms, I think pharmaceutical insurance probably has a bigger impact.

Edited by August1991

All things considered, the State should be involved in money & banking and health care. If Obama pulls this one off - even in a pathetic, watered down form, he'll be the darling of the 2010s Left.

It might also have the reverse effect. The main reason the bill is watered down? Obama has been too conciliatory to the right, allowing them to influence the bill. He did this far more generously than say, Bush would have done, who would likely have used is dominance in the congress, as in a bully pulpit, to get through what HE wanted, opposition be damned...

From what I was reading, millions will still be un-insured. Those parts of the left will not be feeling any sense of Obama endearment.

Next lesson- there is no meaningful "left" as such, in US politics. Any impression of leftism is actually just due to artificial flavouring...

Guest American Woman

From what I was reading, millions will still be un-insured. Those parts of the left will not be feeling any sense of Obama endearment.

Nor will the part of the left (or right) that is forced to buy insurance that will only be an extra financial burden, as the only insurance policies they can afford will have deductibles so high that nothing will ever be applied to their medical bills. All that will be accomplished in these instances is lining the pockets of insurance companies, as these Americans assume the cost of useless insurance on top of their medical bills.

"Health care" and "health coverage" are two very different things. I can't imagine the general public being thrilled about Obama's plan. I'd love to see a poll regarding support for this bill, which will do nothing to provide health care for millions of Americans.

Nor will the part of the left (or right) that is forced to buy insurance that will only be an extra financial burden, as the only insurance policies they can afford will have deductibles so high that nothing will ever be applied to their medical bills. All that will be accomplished in these instances is lining the pockets of insurance companies, as these Americans assume the cost of useless insurance on top of their medical bills.

"Health care" and "health coverage" are two very different things. I can't imagine the general public being thrilled about Obama's plan. I'd love to see a poll regarding support for this bill, which will do nothing to provide health care for millions of Americans.

The reason for that is the lack of a single payer not for profit system of health care. It isn't cheap, but it is universal.

Next lesson- there is no meaningful "left" as such, in US politics. Any impression of leftism is actually just due to artificial flavouring...

So true. The "far left" in the US and the "far right" in Canada pretty much occupy the same space.

Edited by Bryan

Guest American Woman
Sir Bandelot, on 03 January 2010 - 12:23 PM, said: Next lesson- there is no meaningful "left" as such, in US politics. Any impression of leftism is actually just due to artificial flavouring...

So true. The "far left" in the US and the "far right" in Canada pretty much occupy the same space.

omg. That is so not true. Even I know that. What a delusion, if you really believe that.

Guest American Woman

The reason for this lack is the silly universal fear of communism. This fear doesn't come cheap either.

From what I've read, we already pay more per capita for health care than Canada does, so there goes your 'reasoning.'

Guest American Woman
Yes he did, while being only slightly more doped up than Roger Waters was in a pink floyd concert. Theatrics were good though. One helluva show...

What exactly was he "doped up" on?

From what I've read, we already pay more per capita for health care than Canada does, so there goes your 'reasoning.'

I'd say you're country's over-the-top adoration for capitalism accounts for that.

Am I to understand you're somehow proud of you're greater per-capita cost? Where's the 'reasoning' behind that coming from?

Am I to understand you're somehow proud of you're greater per-capita cost? Where's the 'reasoning' behind that coming from?

Well, where would Canada's provinces and well heeled turn if not for such excesses, readily available for a price or contract?

Yes...something to be proud of.

Edited by bush_cheney2004