Tories Spend 5x more on ads than on H1N1

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/article/698415

Television viewers may have noticed the latest feel-good government ads about stimulus spending, including the Conservative-friendly, anti-election pitch: "We can't stop now," and "We have to stay on track."

All the ads direct viewers to a Tory-blue government website that includes more than 40 different photos of Prime Minister Stephen Harper and refers repeatedly to "the Harper government" – apparently in direct contravention of Treasury Board communications policy.

The TV spots are just the latest $4-million salvo in a $34-million media blitz trumpeting the Conservative's recession-fighting budget.

Meanwhile, with public health officials fretting over an onrushing fall flu season, the spread of the H1N1 virus and widespread public apathy about the need for vaccination, no television ads are in the works to combat swine flu.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You do realize that heathcare falls under provincal jurisdiction right?

It is a shared jurisdiction. Or do you think that drug approvals happen at the provincial level? Do you think the virology lab is a provincial responsibility? Do you think international monitoring of the flu is a provincial responsibility? Do you think First Nations, Depart of Defence and the RCMP are provincial responsibilities?

disgusting!

I have certainly noticed an abundance of government ads in the last week touting the action plan and the website does have lots of glamour shots of Harper.

I believe this is the type of stuff Tories used to grit their teeth about. Now it is brilliant!

And what about the advertising campaign for the stimulus? Free advertising for the Harper government paid for on your dime?

It's advertising for the government. They are advertising legislation passed by Harper and your buddies in the LPC. Things like the Home Renovation Tax Credit and the TFSA have to be advertised to let people know they even exist.

Don't get butt-hurt because the government advertises popular legislation.

Edited by Moonbox

It's advertising for the government. They are advertising legislation passed by Harper and your buddies in the LPC. Things like the Home Renovation Tax Credit and the TFSA have to be advertised to let people know they even exist.

Don't get butt-hurt because the government advertises popular legislation.

I don't. Just pointing out that the Tories used to cry about it.

By the way, if the Liberals are responsible for the legislation, why are they not in the government ads like Harper is?

It's pretty natural for the opposition to cry about everything the government does.

As for the government advertising, I haven't seen any touting the CPC that wasn't paid for by the CPC. If it was a CPC electionish message, it's generally funded by the CPC.

Maybe you can provide some examples of government funded partisan ads?

Maybe you can provide some examples of government funded partisan ads?

Stop being so naive. The ads have kicked into high gear as promoting government policy. The website leads to a a Stephen Harper picture gallery.

Harper used to complain bitterly about this.

I'll remind you about this conversation when the Liberals get into power and saturate the air with ads about how great the government is doing. I'll remind you that they are not electioneering and not partisan plugs for government policy.

Edited by jdobbin

disgusting! why would Jack Layton vote to keep these unethical scum in power? I don't think I will be able to continue supporting the NDP.

I think its the golden pensions the politicans will get when they're 55 if they last the 6 years on government. All politicans protect each other when it comes to their wages and pensions. Just wait, you'll Jack help bring down the government.

Stop being so naive. The ads have kicked into high gear as promoting government policy. The website leads to a a Stephen Harper picture gallery.

Harper used to complain bitterly about this.

I haven't seen any of the ads. I've seen a few all in blue that talk about the HRTC. That's it.

I'll remind you about this conversation when the Liberals get into power and saturate the air with ads about how great the government is doing. I'll remind you that they are not electioneering and not partisan plugs for government policy.

It's rather galling isn't it? One side does something and the other complains about it, but when the tables are reversed the same is still true?

I haven't seen any of the ads. I've seen a few all in blue that talk about the HRTC. That's it.

The ad's website has Stephen Harper in what looks like campaign photos. Hard to tell them apart really.

It's rather galling isn't it? One side does something and the other complains about it, but when the tables are reversed the same is still true?

As I said, I will remind those that brush it off later on how ads are saturating the airwaves that sound very much like campaign ads.

And that is why I don't think you will change your vote no matter now many times your own party does the opposite of what you want.

When there is no better option why would I?

I have changed my provincial outlook though my vote is never set in stone, but there has to be a credible and viable alternative.