wulf42

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn t this nice?? i am sure our guys in the military will

just be happy to see this!

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/stor...?hub=TopStories

Actually, I believe Hedy Fry when she says that this ad was coined with no thought of slurring the military.

Perfectly plausible! I've no doubt the Liberals never think about the feelings of our soldiers, pilots and sailors at all!

Except at photo op times, of course.

I have never been so proud of our military, especially in such a difficult and yes, confusing theatre as Afghanistan. To see anyone, let alone a partisan Liberal say "We used to wear it with pride." makes me furious. This is the same woman who said something about burning crosses on lawns. Talk about intolerance and insensitivity....they are alive and well in Canada's Natural Governing Party.

I have never been so proud of our military, especially in such a difficult and yes, confusing theatre as Afghanistan. To see anyone, let alone a partisan Liberal say "We used to wear it with pride." makes me furious. This is the same woman who said something about burning crosses on lawns. Talk about intolerance and insensitivity....they are alive and well in Canada's Natural Governing Party.

might you better describe the basis of your fury, particularly directed to the picture and the military attachment you're suggesting?

might you better describe the basis of your fury, particularly directed to the picture and the military attachment you're suggesting?

You're missing the point. Again, perhaps because your first thought was not for the soldiers feelings.

Soldiers have already come out and said they feel slurred by this picture! Who cares what you or I think or how we may debate if the Liberals cast a slur or not.

The soldiers were offended. To me, that's enough. When something like that happens, people like Hedy Fry should not first mount a lawyer's style defense.

They should immediately apologize directly to the military folks! AFTERWARDS they can make excuses as to how they never had any negative intentions!

Soldiers have already come out and said they feel slurred by this picture! Who cares what you or I think or how we may debate if the Liberals cast a slur or not.

mine was a straight-forward question seeking to understand the basis for the expressed fury... whether an unintentional slur was cast, or not... I believe I read Ms. Fry offering the apology you seek within that article:

Fry has spoken out on the controversy and said she apologizes if anyone misinterpreted her message to feel it was derogatory to the military.

do you have any thoughts on Canada's image abroad and whether you feel it's been enhanced during the tenure of Stephen Harper?

This is Hedy Fry - she is a charletton, remember the I see burning crosses <_<

The flyer is shameful, it is a not so subtle attempt at painting Prime Minister Harper as being responsible for the death of our soldiers, it is the epitome of shameful ads/flyers. I suppose this is just the beginning..

The Liberals would show more respect for our flag and stop using it to peddle their messages. They used the image of a disintegrating Canadian flag in an election campaign ad to slag Conservatives *, Ignatieff equated our flag to a beer can label and now it is implied our flag is not respected abroad. I wish they'd leave our flag alone.

The flyer is shameful, it is a not so subtle attempt at painting Prime Minister Harper as being responsible for the death of our soldiers, it is the epitome of shameful ads/flyers. I suppose this is just the beginning..

Think you are going to great lengths to exaggerate as she did a few years back.

Is the picture a military rucksack? Possibly. Hard to tell with a black and white photo. Does it refer to the military or people travelling in general? Guess that depends on what you want to see from that picture.

It seems that some on the right think it is a swipe at the military although you have really have push that line of thinking based on the text and the picture. Go to any school or university and you'll see military surplus gear from pants to backpacks. Don't know if kids are making so much a political statement as they are one on fashion or practicality.

However, as I said, this is all assumes that the picture is of a green military rucksack. Hard to tell with a black and white picture. For all we know, the bag was a blue canvas Mountain Co-op bag.

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail....845524442621030

I think the ad is dumb even if it is about travelling with a Canadian flag on your backpack since it plays the old game about who really is a Canadian.

Edited by jdobbin

stupid political sensationalism from both parties...obvious political spin by the Cons and the media to create a story where there is none, there is no slight on the military in that add...and political spin by the libs to do the same, what shame are they going on about that we should be so embarrased for???

other than the Taliban who thinks the worse of us??? I'll continue my travels overseas with no embarrasment being from Canada

To see anyone, let alone a partisan Liberal say "We used to wear it with pride." makes me furious.

An ad like this reinforces the Liberals as the party of arrogance. It still will likely strike a chord with the far left who believe Canada is peacekeepers not fighters and kyoto was a good idea.

In reality, Harper has restored funding to the military, giving our armed forced the equipment they need to do their jobs. The underfunding of previous governments was embarrassing. There was nothing to be proud of when an aging Sea King would go down. How embarrassing was it when our soldiers were sent to Afghanistan wearing the wrong camouflage?

As far as Kyoto goes, it was Canada who stood up and pointed out that without China, India and the US, the whole thing was pointless - as it was. That, to me, was something to be proud of. Standing up to the world and taking a stance. It's a stance that Obama and the US are now following.

Someone should ask Hedy Fry why she thinks her leader stopped wearing his backpack when the Liberals were in power and even called the US his country.

The body of the message can be interpreted to whatever the receiver wishes it to be. Nonsense ad, and nonsense controversy.

Regardless though, supreme arrogance on their part.

This interests me:

She added that the pamphlet did not come from her office, but was approved by the Liberal party, and legally had to be sent with an MP's name, and it just happened to be her named used.

Publications with her name on it that she is 'not aware of?' Election advertising makes me sick.

Publications with her name on it that she is 'not aware of?' Election advertising makes me sick.

This is how all the 10 percenters are mailed out.

The Tories haven't wanted to change this electioneering and have increased it every year they've been in office.

That, to me, was something to be proud of. Standing up to the world and taking a stance.

The last time I felt a glimmer of short-lived national pride was when Canada stood up and passed on running with the herd in Iraq. Of course we were only standing on one leg given the other was already mired in Afghansitan so that glimmer was more like a twinge really.

This pride thing coming from the Liberals is a little lame and a little late.

Edited by eyeball

Wow partisan politics...

Until recently, the Liberals spent the least of the major parties on these things. Their complaints to the Tories that they were being abused was laughed at by the Tories. Still is.

Now, we have these thing going out all the time. Many of the ads are whoppers.

Think you are going to great lengths to exaggerate as she did a few years back.

-----------

I think the ad is dumb even if it is about travelling with a Canadian flag on your backpack since it plays the old game about who really is a Canadian.

Nice spin...

Notice now that she is really sorry that other people have "misinterpreted her message" and that she really nothing to do with.

It sure seems as if Liberals are only proud of Canada when they are in power :lol:

Again, not the point of the comment. I don't think you're going to see it.

Then by all mean, enlighten.

I have said that many times in the past that these ads are not informational as was intended but are partisan election pamphlets.

The Liberals criticized the use of them to no avail and spent the least of the parties. The Tories laughed their asses off at that so they Liberals joined the fight rather than have one arm tied behind their back.

Nice spin...

I think the spin is that you know that the bag was a military rucksack and you know that it was an attack on the military.

Notice now that she is really sorry that other people have "misinterpreted her message" and that she really nothing to do with.

Notice how you have interpreted the message as being directed at the military.

It sure seems as if Liberals are only proud of Canada when they are in power :lol:

As I said, I thought the ad was dumb. I also think it is dumb that you believe the Liberals are attacking the military.

Edited by jdobbin