Should we adopt two-tier health care?

b-c it just doesn't matter how you slice it: There just isn't much desire in Canada to move away from universal health care. We love it. We depend on it. And we know that those who want to and can afford to 'jump the queue' can go south and pay the price. So what?

They wouldn't need to jump the queue in this case were it not for simple incompetence. Not only is there no MRI contract, but apparently no accountability either.

Most of us have no serious complaints about the system, and a lot of good experiences, if one can say that about any illness.

Serious or otherwise, this circumstance warrants more than complaints.

So rant away, but know that you're not moving anyone.

Don't have to......they are moving on their own and voting with their dollars.....even in BC.

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

b-c it just doesn't matter how you slice it: There just isn't much desire in Canada to move away from universal health care. We love it. We depend on it. And we know that those who want to and can afford to 'jump the queue' can go south and pay the price. So what?

A system cannot be said universal if that kind of exceptions are possible.

I'm just playing rope-a-dope.....trying to whip up some Manitoba pride! Go Bombers!

You are going to need a real powerful mixer that runs on 220 to whip that pride up...and look - you even know the local team - I'm Canadian and I did not know. I don't think they understand rope a dope..They do understand the ulitmate fighting game though - beating the hell out of a man that is already out cold...It's usually are very feminine men that cheer this stuff on...most could not fight their way through a wet wall of Kleenex...that's why the envy America - You guys invade and destroy a whole nation and build it up from scratch - we send a hundred men to die scratching a nation's eyes out like screaming little girls. oooops.

I see you missed his point. He is talking about private citizens being able to decide to jump the line to go to a private clinic not a government paying a private clinic to take their over flow. One is a two tier health care system which we are talking about in this thread, the other is single payer which we already have. Helpful?

Why couldn't government pay a private clinic, like a voucher system. Where you go the money follows. Heck, even that model welfare state, Sweden, allows private clinics!

If it's good enough for a welfare state of Sweden's magnitude, surely it must be good enough for Canada.

Most of us have no serious complaints about the system, and a lot of good experiences, if one can say that about any illness.

So rant away, but know that you're not moving anyone.

Universal health care does not equate with public health care, Both Sweden's and Singapore's systems surpass the Canadian one as far as quality goes, even for those who can't afford it, and are cheaper, and yet have far more private involvment.

It's not about ideological dogma, but about saving lives. The more invesment there is in healthcare, regardless of whether it's private or public, the better. Why would we want to block investment in health care?

How is this incompetence? They're fixing the problem at many different levels. Sending people to BC for MRIs would be incompetent. People who need it now, get it now. Some wait too long, yes, but it is what it is.

Alas, this will always be your response....a littany of problems that may be fixed...sooner or later....maybe....if we have to. Are other provinces just better / more creative when it comes to "fixing problems"?

....It's not about ideological dogma, but about saving lives. The more invesment there is in healthcare, regardless of whether it's private or public, the better. Why would we want to block investment in health care?

Agreed...if that be the goal, then all options should be open...no sacred cows! Moooooooooooo

Good god! Are you people for real?

There are so many tiers in Canadian health care already that this whole question is moot. WCB, private medicine for athletes, private medicine for politicians, private medicine for the military, .......... I'm not saying it's bad - quite the contrary. I believe in a fully private system. My wife is a specialized RN and she believes in private health care. Why is this debate even going on? Anyone listen to the radio ads for the Cambie Clinic in the last few weeks? "Go where the sports pros go! Located in Vancouver, it's fly-in, fly-out convenience!!! Surgery without the wait."

Wife was injured at work. Her personal GP said approximately 6 months for an MRI of her C4-C5. WCB said about 30 days. I called MIC (Medical Imaging Consultants) near the UofA in Edmonton and for $499 she was in the next morning at 11:30am.

Private, multi-tier health care already exists in Canada. Ask Jack Layton.

.....Wife was injured at work. Her personal GP said approximately 6 months for an MRI of her C4-C5. WCB said about 30 days. I called MIC (Medical Imaging Consultants) near the UofA in Edmonton and for $499 she was in the next morning at 11:30am.

A salute to you sir.....no need to be a victim of group think politics. 6 months? 6 months???????