What's in a song?

Argus

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Music just becomes history like everything else.

Some music doesn't just become history, it transcends it. Everybody knows .. uh, Greensleeves, for instance.

Nope....it is a "standard"....you will die long before that song ever will.

It will survive in the sense that it will still exist in recorded format that someone could still listen to in a hundred or a thousand years, if they chose to.

It is dead in the sense that nobody will chose to. It has no relevance to anyone who wasn't around to hear it back in "the good old days".

-k

It will survive in the sense that it will still exist in recorded format that someone could still listen to in a hundred or a thousand years, if they chose to.

And they will choose to, in several ways. Other members have demonstrated that period films will continue to include such standards in soundtracks. (My old man is long dead but his music lives on in films and eBay!).

It is dead in the sense that nobody will chose to. It has no relevance to anyone who wasn't around to hear it back in "the good old days".

I disagree.....it is a "standard" (I assume you know what that means). It is on Sirius/XM satellite radio playlists in several formats. It is featured in Time Life CD anthology infomercials. It is bought and sold on eBay by collectors. It is shipped with Karaoke products / systems. It is in the US Smithsonian (Sam DeVincent Collection of Illustrated American Sheet Music); the song is still sold as sheet music to this day in many nations.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

rrrrrrraaaaaooooowwww

eyaaa reaah someone rowroworw dieeeeeeeeeee

for myeeeee

immmmmortallliteeeeeeeeeeeeee....

- Some song my kid listens to. I have no idea what the hell they're saying! :)

Have ever seen any of the videos out there that the singers make? Some of the female singers, you can't tell if the video is about their singing or if they are making a XXX movie. Is it about the sex or is it about their singing.

rrrrrrraaaaaooooowwww

eyaaa reaah someone rowroworw dieeeeeeeeeee

for myeeeee

immmmmortallliteeeeeeeeeeeeee....

- Some song my kid listens to. I have no idea what the hell they're saying! :)

Stevie Nicks, right? God, she's gotta be one of the worst popular vocalists ever. Completely unintelligible.

-k

My wife thinks the exact same thing.

Ever see the South Park where they think a goat is Stevie Nicks?

:lol:

I honestly can't make out anything she says other than "ooo-oooh", "aaa-aaah", "yea-aahh," and "bayybeee".

Although, I saw a Fleetwood Mac reunion concert a few years ago, and Christine McVie (who I consider by far the more talented of the two women) just sounded terrible, her voice was completely gone, while Stevie Nicks still sounded as "good" as ever.

On a similar note I recall an interview with Johnny Cash in the final years of his life where he was asked how his voice was, and he replied (with self-deprecating humour ) "about as good as ever."

-k

Thank God for opinions and free speech. I'll let her and Fleetwood Mac's record sales speak for themselves.

(does the same apply to Britney Spears? ;) )

I bet Wild Bill would tell you that Fleetwood Mac was WAY cooler before the chicks showed up.

-k

Yeah, but maybe not as wealthy. ;)

Kimmy has me pegged! :P And I agree they became more wealthy.

I liked them when they started out with Peter Green. They were a fantastic blues band! When "the chicks showed up" I liked some of the songs but not the entire albums.

I liked "Rhiannon" far more than "Don't Stop" or "Go Your Own Way", but that's just me!

Kimmy has me pegged! :P And I agree they became more wealthy.

I liked them when they started out with Peter Green. They were a fantastic blues band! When "the chicks showed up" I liked some of the songs but not the entire albums.

I liked "Rhiannon" far more than "Don't Stop" or "Go Your Own Way", but that's just me!

"Rhiannon" makes me want to jab sticks into my eardrums. "Don't Stop" and "Go Your Own Way" are catchy pop-songs. I much prefer "Tusk" or "The Chain" to either of them...

"Green Manalishi" is the only Peter Green era Fleetwood Mac with which I am familiar, and I'd thought it was a Judas Priest song. While doing some research to find out what a "Manalishi" is, I read about Peter Green and the story behind the song. When I heard the Fleetwood Mac version, I thought it was entrancing, haunting, amazing.

-k

{same day, I found out that

isn't a Judas Priest song either.}

I have heard the Hoe Down Throw Down over 178 times since this May.

I'm starting to like it.

Thanks for making me look that up. Now that I've heard it for myself, I think I might have to go out and kill something. :blink:

A while back I think I challenged people to find me any current-day music as stupid as Disco Duck. Congratulations, you have succeeded. Valuable kimmy-points will be credited to your account.

-k

You haven't lived untill you have heard Demi Lovato accompanied by your own daughter on a 300 kn roadtrip.

You will of course remember Demi Lovato from the super smash hit, Camp Rock. And if you have a daughter, you better remember her too.

Thanks for making me look that up. Now that I've heard it for myself, I think I might have to go out and kill something. :blink:

A while back I think I challenged people to find me any current-day music as stupid as Disco Duck. Congratulations, you have succeeded. Valuable kimmy-points will be credited to your account.

-k

Thank you, Disney Corp! And 'Disco Duck' was a 'manufactured' song as well.

All these years and we still don't have better laws... ;)