Liberals slapping back against Tories' partisan flyer tactics

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/nation...article1235814/

They couldn't beat them, so now they're joining them.

In a report out of Ottawa, the Winnipeg Free Press says the federal Liberals have started sending out highly partisan, taxpayer-funded flyers to constituents in Conservative-held ridings.

The move comes after the Liberals didn't get anywhere with complaints about the Tories doing the same thing in Liberal ridings.

"We've started doing them," said Winnipeg South Centre Liberal MP Anita Neville. "We couldn't let them continue to do it without a response."

It is obvious the Tories don't think it is a waste of money so now I expect we will see all parties do it.

Till now, the Liberals spent the least on these things.

Yes, I expect the wasting of $55,000 a year per Tory MP is a big yawner for many on the right.

So why aren't you up in arms over the Liberals publicly taking up the tactic, aren't they wasting money too? By the way you talk the liberal party was above it, are you going to cut your ties to the liberal party over the money they will be wasting sending these out?

I think they should take all the money away for this useless program. Funny how the Conservatives didn't target this program for cuts when they decided to cut party financing.

I agree they should defund the program, its useless.

So why aren't you up in arms over the Liberals publicly taking up the tactic, aren't they wasting money too? By the way you talk the liberal party was above it, are you going to cut your ties to the liberal party over the money they will be wasting sending these out?

I have been complaining for quite some time. No one is interested.

The Tories will only take notice when Liberals use the same tactic is my guess.

I have been complaining for quite some time. No one is interested.

The Tories will only take notice when Liberals use the same tactic is my guess.

It's a waste either way, and they both should quit it.

It's not news though. I've been regularly receiving ten per-centers from Liberal MPs for a long time. Ken Dryden seems to particularly send a lot of them.

It's a waste either way, and they both should quit it.

It's not news though. I've been regularly receiving ten per-centers from Liberal MPs for a long time. Ken Dryden seems to particularly send a lot of them.

The cash numbers reveal the staggering difference. The Tories spend more than the Liberals and NDP combined.

My guess is the only way this stops is if the Tories get tired of them being sent to their ridings in growing numbers.

Tories: $55,000 per member. Liberals: $24,000 per member.

Jdobbin can you please explain how the CPC is using 'taxpayer dollars' for these flyers as opposed to party funds?

I'd actually like to know more about this (fyi I'm not challenging the claim 'cause I don't know anything about it).

They are called 10 percenters.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/new-brunswick/sto...percenters.html

Federal MPs are allowed to send flyers to any riding in Canada, as long as they are not sent to more than 10 per cent of households in the riding.

Tories have been using them to highlight their positions on drugs, crime, the seal hunt and on the federal Liberals' green plan.

I get them almost every day.

As demonstrated with the expense releases, the Tories outspend every other party's MPs. The idea behind the flyers was for Parliamentary information. Now, it is an election flyer.

Many people have been complaining about for a few years. It has fallen on deaf ears. The only way to get the Tories are going to end it is if they start getting them in big numbers in their own ridings.

:angry:

That money should never have been made available in the first place, but since the politicians love to fan the flames every once in a while, the program was made available. I think its intended use was to inform the public, and these fools actually think that their partisan views accomplish this task. At any rate the concept is valid and the practical application sucks, as per usual with the government sadly enough.

Come to thiink oif it, I get a few each year from that oily guy who leads that other party....even though no one from that party has ever been elected in my riding.

There's always a resonse card so I fill it out (taypayer paid) and where it has comments and suggestions I plead with the leader of this other party to go to Khandahar with his wife to conduct secret talks with the Taliban.

After 4 like this I haven't seen one in 1/2 a year.

That's funny. I've been getting partisan tax payer funded liberal propaganda from my Liberal MP for years....

Same here. I've only ever gotten flyers from the McGuinty brothers, no one else.

It's pretty hard to support this sort of spending...regardless of who's doing it.

I agree. However, the Tories have been laughing their asses off about the complaints.

Some ridings get mailings by the handful every day from MPs far, far away from the province. Winnipeg South Center gets mailings from Alberta, Ontario and Quebec and it goes on and on. The financial disclosure pretty much shows the amount that is going out.

In the grand scheme of things though, this is small potatoes and once again will not affect an election in the least.

If only the electorate knew anything about this stuff or cared. If only a politician were to sincerely want to end the mess.

:huh:

It's pretty hard to support this sort of spending...regardless of who's doing it.
All the apologists aside, I haven't seen anyone say. Yeah, these things are great, lets keep funding it. The best argument people seem to come up with is "The other parties are doing it".

It is very hard to support this sort of spending. Infact, I can't support it at all, and I want all parties to stop.

But who's listening.

Last I checked, there was no Candidate named Moonbox on the ballot :P

Edited by madmax

All the apologists aside, I haven't seen anyone say. Yeah, these things are great, lets keep funding it. The best argument people seem to come up with is "The other parties are doing it".

It is very hard to support this sort of spending. Infact, I can't support it at all, and I want all parties to stop.

But who's listening.

Last I checked, there was no Candidate named Moonbox on the ballot :P

There is only one way to stop this kind of thing and that is to reject partisan candidates at the next election. Vote for an independent.