Liberals quadruple fundraising totals

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politi...article1235456/

The Ignatieff Liberals have raised $3.9-million in the second quarter for this year, four times the amount raised last year at this time when Stéphane Dion was leader.

The party posted its results on Twitter Wednesday evening with an update that read, in part: “Exclusive 2nd Quarter Fundraising numbers are in: $3.9M More than 4 times last year's.”

Last year, in an election year, the party raised a total of $5.8-million. So far this year, the Grits under Leader Michael Ignatieff have raised $5.7-million.

By the end of August, most of the nominations are to be completed as well.

If Harper does decide the pull the plug in September, the issue of money and organization for the main parties does seem to be an issue.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Conservatives are still raising more money, from a larger donor pool. However, I'll give the Liberals credit for rebounding. Although, rebounding from Dion shouldn't have been very difficult anyways. Why the Liberals nominated him I'll never understand.

The Conservatives are still raising more money, from a larger donor pool. However, I'll give the Liberals credit for rebounding. Although, rebounding from Dion shouldn't have been very difficult anyways. Why the Liberals nominated him I'll never understand.

They nominated him because Rae and Kennedy didn't support Ignatieff at the time.

As for the donor pool, that wasn't released as of yet but the last time, it had increased a fair bit.

Edited by jdobbin

How much did the Conservatives raise? They raised less than 3.9M in Q2 last year.
The governing Conservatives raised a record $21.2-million in donations in 2008, but the opposition Liberals are gaining momentum in their efforts to rebuild their fundraising machine, newly released figures from Elections Canada show.

The Liberals, meanwhile, raised $5.9-million in 2008, an improvement over the $4.5 million the party raised the year before. A surge in donations in the fourth quarter, when the party garnered $2.3-million, enabled the Liberals to beat the NDP, which was leading the Grits through the third quarter.

The New Democrats raised $5.5-million in 2008, a major increase over their haul of $4-million the previous year. Meanwhile, the Green Party broke through the $1-million mark for the first time, raising $1.6-million in 2008.

The Bloc Quebecois raised $713,415 for the year.

NP

The 2008 numbers above are based on Elections Canada filings.

The 2009 Liberal numbers in the OP are based on a Liberal twitter. I think that there may be some PR involved here.

NP

The 2008 numbers above are based on Elections Canada filings.

The 2009 Liberal numbers in the OP are based on a Liberal twitter. I think that there may be some PR involved here.

LOL!

Yup, them Liberals are so stupid that they'll make funding claims that won't later be supported by Elections Canada filings. [/sarcasm]

I believe that like I believe that Harper consumed the Host.

Elections Canada reports the numbers July 30 or July 31 in the afternoon.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/politicalbyt...eff_effect.html

Elections Canada is expected to release numbers from the other parties either later today or tomorrow. We'll update when we get them.

You still think it is all a big lie?

Edited by jdobbin

The Conservatives are still raising more money, from a larger donor pool.

Here is the increase in the donor pool.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/politicalbyt...eff_effect.html

This time last year the Liberals had about 9,000 or so contributors. This year there are closer to 19,000.

The numbers are out tonight.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianp...-G1Y70WFM4L8bQg

During the second quarter of 2009, Liberals pulled in $3.878 million - a whisker short of the $3.957 million raked in by the cash-hoovering Conservatives.

Overall this year, Liberals have amassed $5.7 million in donations, more than triple their take during same period last year.

The Conservatives have pulled in $8.3 million so far, down slightly from 2008.

"We still have a lot of work to do but it's definitely cause for optimism and reason to believe we can do it," said Rocco Rossi, the Liberal party's national director.

And for the rest of the parties:

Other parties pulled in far less money than either the Conservatives or Liberals.

The NDP raised $711,269, the Bloc Quebecois $68,969 and the Greens $192,350.

We're arguing over who has the best numbers and are ignoring an important sea change in Canadian politics. The Liberals are now raising their money honestly!

I'm not just being facetious. No longer are they beholden to rich donors and corporations. They are receiving their money from individual Canadians, the same as the Tories.

This is a legacy direct from Preston Manning and his Reformers. Before they came on the scene the old Progressive Conservatives got their funding exactly the same way as the Liberals. Or the NDP, for that matter, if you substituted 'unions' for 'corporations'. Reform got virtually ALL their money directly from the people who supported the party.

This will have a HUGE influence on Liberal policies, as soon as the oldtime hacks die off and the new power movers are running things!

IMHO, this is a very good thing, both for the Liberal Party and for Canada. If they keep cleaning up their act I might actually vote for them again some day!

We're arguing over who has the best numbers and are ignoring an important sea change in Canadian politics. The Liberals are now raising their money honestly!

I'm not just being facetious. No longer are they beholden to rich donors and corporations. They are receiving their money from individual Canadians, the same as the Tories.

This is a legacy direct from Preston Manning and his Reformers. Before they came on the scene the old Progressive Conservatives got their funding exactly the same way as the Liberals. Or the NDP, for that matter, if you substituted 'unions' for 'corporations'. Reform got virtually ALL their money directly from the people who supported the party.

This will have a HUGE influence on Liberal policies, as soon as the oldtime hacks die off and the new power movers are running things!

IMHO, this is a very good thing, both for the Liberal Party and for Canada. If they keep cleaning up their act I might actually vote for them again some day!

Ummmmm the NDP's money has always been 80-90% individual donations.

Did anyone else notice this?

"Rossi acknowledged that the latest Liberal results include about $1 million in fees collected from members who attended the party's Vancouver convention in May. Most of that money went to pay for the cost of the convention"

So they are only really up 2.something million not 3.something.

Did anyone else notice this?

So they are only really up 2.something million not 3.something.

I guess we'll say the same thing when NDP numbers come in for the next quarter.

Edited by jdobbin