Federal Funding of Gay Pride Parade

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What would be a real pitty is to feel an aging society should be let to die.

Benny if there were a Ministry of random and disjointed thoughts that was also responsible for thread drift, I'm certain you'd be appointed the Minister hands down.

"Radically convert"??? That sounds rather ominous. The most dangerous person in the world is the self-righteous idealist, who believes his exhortations with absolute and unwavering certitude.

Oh there were some doozy posts that went far beyond that. I must admit it did get entertaining sometimes. Tedious at others.

The government shouldn't be funding these types of events at all. You wanted the government out of the bedroom, you got it. Now go and raise your own money. I don't see why I should have to fund these types of things with my tax dollars at all. Let the gays and their supporters pay for it. Oops I forgot the lefties don't work and are prob too busy protesting or smoking pot.

The government shouldn't be funding these types of events at all. You wanted the government out of the bedroom, you got it. Now go and raise your own money. I don't see why I should have to fund these types of things with my tax dollars at all. Let the gays and their supporters pay for it. Oops I forgot the lefties don't work and are prob too busy protesting or smoking pot.

That's pretty lame.

A three year old news item that in effect with hindsight being what it is shows the skill in which Harper outmanouvered the socio-conservatives and kept the party in the middle with a big tent.

Was that your intention?

Apparently :)- The only reason there was a problem with the parade grant, was the amount, it was 10 x the usual, other wise it wouldn't have raised eyebrows.

Harper has been governing from the centre if not a tad to the left - a fact which has kept the CPC in power. So far, no nods to anything socially conservative or religion - again - that dog don't hunt LOL Most people no longer buy into that nonsense, fortunately, but a few dinosaurs still cling to the old scary scary stuff :_=

Harper will not go anywhere unless the CPC loses seats in the next election, or possibly remains the same. If they win a majority or even gain seats, he'll stay.

If tax dollars are to be spent on cultural events, then everyone, including gay pride organizations, should have equal access to the pot. I don't even see where political affiliation comes into this. But please do explain how it does, I'd love to hear your views on the matter

If tax dollars are to be spent on cultural events, then everyone, including gay pride organizations, should have equal access to the pot. I don't even see where political affiliation comes into this. But please do explain how it does, I'd love to hear your views on the matter

This isn't a part of Canadian life for the majority of us so I don't see why I should be forced to support it. So people can prqance around with full frontal nudity in our city centres. It's disgusting. These people should be arrested. It is against the law to be nude in public. I'm sorry but I don't think it's good family entertainment to bring ones children to. Men and women having simulated sex in the nude while in public. Perhaps my morals and values I hold for my family differ from yours but that isn't child friendly for my kids.

This isn't a part of Canadian life for the majority of us so I don't see why I should be forced to support it.

I don't see why I should be forced to pay for the roads to lead to your house. And yet, I am. Live with it.

So people can prqance around with full frontal nudity in our city centres.

I have heard this is wildly exaggerated, but at any rate, you certainly don't have to look.

It's disgusting.

Some people find what is done to animals at the Calgary Stampede disgusting.

These people should be arrested.

Yes, of course. We don't want those evil degenerate homosexuals wandering around free giving impressionable people like you weird ideas.

It is against the law to be nude in public.

How many gay pride parades have you been to?

I'm sorry but I don't think it's good family entertainment to bring ones children to.

Is what other people bring their children to now suddenly your business?

Men and women having simulated sex in the nude while in public. Perhaps my morals and values I hold for my family differ from yours but that isn't child friendly for my kids.

Don't take your children then. Maybe you can sneak off by yourself.

I don't see why I should be forced to pay for the roads to lead to your house. And yet, I am. Live with it.

I think you have a self-defeating approach against MrCanada's argument: Is he not paying for the road leading to your house? And more importantly, is he not freely choosing to pay by not choosing to work less?

Edited by benny

I think you have a self-defeating approach against MrCanada's argument: Is he not paying for the road leading to your house? And more importantly, is he not freely choosing to pay by not choosing to work less?

The point is that we do not live in a Libertarian state, which means that we do not have control over the use of our tax dollars. What is more, we live in a liberal secular state, which means we interfere with the what adults choose to do to a very minimum, and we don't unfairly target one group for largesse and then, because another offends our personal morals, declare them ineligible. That's precisely the sort of conduct that we want to avoid. It's a free country. No one is forcing this guy to show up at a gay pride parade (quite frankly, I hate all parades, gay, straight, military or otherwise, incredibly long-winded affairs that usually are in the way of where I want to be).

The point is that we do not live in a Libertarian state, which means that we do not have control over the use of our tax dollars. What is more, we live in a liberal secular state, which means we interfere with the what adults choose to do to a very minimum, and we don't unfairly target one group for largesse and then, because another offends our personal morals, declare them ineligible. That's precisely the sort of conduct that we want to avoid. It's a free country. No one is forcing this guy to show up at a gay pride parade (quite frankly, I hate all parades, gay, straight, military or otherwise, incredibly long-winded affairs that usually are in the way of where I want to be).

What you underestimate or overlook is the power of morality to overthrow a state.

I dont think it's that big a deal

Churches get tax exemptions, no one complains...yes?

I think you mean that churches are tax exempt, donations to the church are tax creditable, and the hired help (clergy) get some pretty sweet tax write offs just because they are, well, clergy.

I complain about this but my wife never listens.

Yeah, if churches get these benefits, and a stampede gets some funding then I don't mind giving it to some pride parade.

I think you mean that churches are tax exempt, donations to the church are tax creditable, and the hired help (clergy) get some pretty sweet tax write offs just because they are, well, clergy.

I complain about this but my wife never listens.

Yeah, if churches get these benefits, and a stampede gets some funding then I don't mind giving it to some pride parade.

Tax privileges given to churches by the states are given on the basis that churches' charities can replace a lot of if not all state functions.

Edited by benny

Tax privileges given to churches by the states are given on the basis that churches' charities can replace a lot of if not all state functions.

Nonsense.

There are many organizations out there that are tax exempt, get the tax credits but don't get the special housing benefits that the priest/pastor gets.

They do just as good a (and often better) job without all the proselytizing.