Navy waters down plans for Arctic patrol ships

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/stor...0616?hub=Canada

The federal government has put off asking shipbuilders for ideas on the construction of a flotilla of Arctic patrol boats, a sign that the two-year-old program is in trouble.

The navy's project management office advised the defence industry on June 10th that the long-anticipated letters of intent had been delayed.

"The extent of the delay is unknown at this time," said the note obtained by The Canadian Press.

I'm a little confused about what the delays are.

There isn't much information to figure out if the project is merely delayed or if something else is going on.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that they should maybe cancel the entire project. the navy needs bigger ships to patrol all 3 coasts (the Kingstons are too small) and these were supposed to do the job. If they aren't going to do it right, perhaps they should put it off until after the needed AOR replacement.

And now, I have lost faith in this government for sure. The only redeeming thing that they could do is move the money over to the JSS project and fund the full project as they should have originally.

JSS was a project that tried to jam as much capabilities on to one hull as possiable, I've talked to lots of Navy guys and this is not what they wanted, it was what the army wanted, to be able to move troops and vehs....it's all due to lack of funds....

The Navy really needs an AOR soon....proably more than most army kit....

The Artic patrol boats are another fantasy , Navy had already said the ideal ship would be an Ice Harden frigate, plus a fleet of coastal corvettes to do fisheries, and other patrols....but we all know that is not going to happen.... the main focus is the Amry right now, Navy prgrams are going to be slashed to pay for them....

JSS was a project that tried to jam as much capabilities on to one hull as possiable, I've talked to lots of Navy guys and this is not what they wanted, it was what the army wanted, to be able to move troops and vehs....it's all due to lack of funds....

The Navy really needs an AOR soon....proably more than most army kit....

The Artic patrol boats are another fantasy , Navy had already said the ideal ship would be an Ice Harden frigate, plus a fleet of coastal corvettes to do fisheries, and other patrols....but we all know that is not going to happen.... the main focus is the Amry right now, Navy prgrams are going to be slashed to pay for them....

That's really unfortunate, defending our Northern sovereignty was one item I was truly 100% behind Mr. Harper on. Admittedly I know precious little about DND matters but it seems to me we're much further behind the American and Russian naval capabilities than I'm comfortable with. Not that the army doesn't need love too, but given the amount of coastline in our country, it just doesn't make sense that we have such an ill equipped navy in comparison to other countries that are eyeing our resources to the north. If we can't defend our interests we will lose them.

We truly need to beef up our military all around; unfortunately this is not something that most Canadians will ever get behind. This is a sad product of our co-dependency on the US which will inevitably bite us in the butt. If anyone even suggests spending another dime on the military there are cries of indignation about how "we're not Americans". While I definitely agree we shouldn't spend as much as our neighbors to the south we should definitely increase spending to ensure our forces are well equipped to do the job we've asked them to do.

That's really unfortunate, defending our Northern sovereignty was one item I was truly 100% behind Mr. Harper on. Admittedly I know precious little about DND matters but it seems to me we're much further behind the American and Russian naval capabilities than I'm comfortable with. Not that the army doesn't need love too, but given the amount of coastline in our country, it just doesn't make sense that we have such an ill equipped navy in comparison to other countries that are eyeing our resources to the north. If we can't defend our interests we will lose them.

We truly need to beef up our military all around; unfortunately this is not something that most Canadians will ever get behind. This is a sad product of our co-dependency on the US which will inevitably bite us in the butt. If anyone even suggests spending another dime on the military there are cries of indignation about how "we're not Americans". While I definitely agree we shouldn't spend as much as our neighbors to the south we should definitely increase spending to ensure our forces are well equipped to do the job we've asked them to do.

The military could employ a lot more citizens needing work. It could consume a lot more goods that need producing in this country. It could provide a lot of secondary education for young people in this country. The military could have used all the stimulus money and bailout money and brought more jobs and security to this nation than anything else.

Admittedly I know precious little about DND matters but it seems to me we're much further behind the American and Russian naval capabilities than I'm comfortable with.

Yes and it no when it comes to the Americans. We have less naval power, but our Coast guard (though not military) has much more capacity to operate in the arctic than theirs.

JSS was a project that tried to jam as much capabilities on to one hull as possible,

I realize that, but since it's what wee have designed at the time I think that we should get something done. The JSS (or something like it) is still supposed to go forward, and we're supposed to hear within a couple of months what will be done.

I think I might actually disagree here, just for the heck of it. What good would it do even if we obtained the ships as per the original specifications? Our military and naval capabilities are utterly minuscule compared to any other nation that might seek to lay claim to the arctic. Russia has fleets of nuclear powered icebreakers, nuclear submarines that can go under the ice, carriers, etc. The capabilities of the US need not even be mentioned as they would overwhelm us utterly in any possible comparison. I guess we could maybe compete with Norway but meh, they are a tiny power as well.

Canada has the economic capacity to develop a legitimate military that could really project our power and sovereignty wherever we wanted it, but only if we devoted a large chunk of our GDP to it, like the US does, or perhaps even more. But, such a development is utterly beyond any political reality in Canada.

Our patrol ships are meant to be there in the north as tokens, to say that we haven't totally forgotten that the Canadian arctic exists. They are not meant to be any kind of respectable fighting force, because they are utterly inadequate in the face of any of our potential competitors. And if they are just tokens, then what does it matter if their capabilities are somewhat lower? Either other nations will accept our gesture and not bother us and respect our sovereignty, or they will ignore us and do what they want in the arctic - either way there is nothing we could do about it, whether we got the bigger ships or the new downsized ships.

I wasn't kidding with my first post in this thread (besides the laser beams), because that kind of equipment is what we'd need if we really wanted to assure the sovereignty of our northern regions. If we are serious about our military, we need to increase our spending in it tenfold, so we can afford the kind of equipment that other major powers can easily deploy. Otherwise, who are we really kidding?

We are a nation facing a budget crisis....and as one of the few nations that cares about the situation of our budget, things become difficult. I want the ships...we'll get something eventually, but we'll have to wait.

Tokens are important. Without tokens we lose what we have. We have to be able to enforce our sovereignty....we don't have to be able to beat the Americans and the Russians.

I agree, tokens do serve some function. But how are the new downsized ships any different in the function of being a token than the originally planned ones? It's kind of a binary situation: either we have a token force up there, or we have a real force up there which could, as you put it:

enforce our sovereignty

We don't have to "beat" the Americans or the Russians, but we do have to be able to present a realistic deterrent if we want to "enforce" our sovereignty. With the Americans, we can perhaps rely on them to "play nice" and accept our token gesture, but what about the Russians? They may just decide to start exploiting some resources that are nominally in "our" territory. Would sending a couple of these proposed ships deter them? Probably not. Would a carrier battlegroup launching low altitude flybys over them deter them? Much more likely.

I agree, tokens do serve some function. But how are the new downsized ships any different in the function of being a token than the originally planned ones?

The plans were changed because we need ships to patrol all 3 coasts. It was actually a smart idea....provided that the Diefenbaker is actually built.

Would a carrier battlegroup launching low altitude flybys over them deter them? Much more likely.

As long as you pay for it.

We are a nation facing a budget crisis....and as one of the few nations that cares about the situation of our budget, things become difficult. I want the ships...we'll get something eventually, but we'll have to wait.

We need to build ships, lots of them. I will suggest that when we finally break down and get the JSF we take the Marine and Air Force versions. The Marine version, the F35B with STOVL could be installed on ships and ideal for our use. The F35A version could be reserved for our use overland. Since this is likely the replacement for the F18's we might as well do this right and use both variants as best we can. That means some sort of frigate or destroyer with sufficient deck space to handle the bird or birds for that matter. This would be something new and different, worthy of our effort.