Navy waters down plans for Arctic patrol ships

Hmm. Bits I agree with there, and some that I disagree with. I don't really see such a huge difference. It's still 'use it or lose it'.

Frankly, the US is as much a threat to our northern sovereignty as anyone across the way, and I don't agree that the old, similar threat was 'more percieved and political than real'. It was VERY real. This is compelling, and there is a great deal of urgency to it, to deflect alternate claims before they gather a great deal of steam, but that one was, too.

In seeing a huge similarity between them... it matters not whether the settlements be 'farmers and shopkeepers' or drillers and miners. It only matters that they be there and put down roots. Military outposts help, but are mostly symbolic and ' breaking trail'. On their own, they are a piddling form of claim. People living and working there permanently - citizens at risk- confirm a real claim. Challenging, yes, but essential. To enable permanent settlement, there must be dependable, year-round transportation links. Not ice roads or outpost barges, but a link by land.

I question the necessity of provincehood. I see your point, since the federal government is poor at local administration and sustained focus, but at the same time, only direct, heavy, ongoing federal investment can accomplish what needs to be done, AND province status carries downside demands, implications/effects. I question whether present population is enough to stably carry/maintain provincial status. And the necessity of it? I don't really see much benefit until there's enough population to demand and effectively sustain it.

I'd say we're on the same page, and arguing details, though: HUGE investment, and the establishment of popultion are urgently needed.

Edited by Molly

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now, how about those ships, eh?

Borg

Not that I can see our government or the DND bigshots having the imagination to even conceive of it, but the ships you allude to should be airships.

The ideal platform for arctic patrol and sovereignty enforcement.