Election 2009

It certainly looks like everyone is gearing up for an election despite denying that one is about to happen.

The Tories have got everything ready to go and the Liberals are preparing as well. The NDP still has debt to pay and donations are down but have secured funding to run an election. The Liberals have doubled their income, paid their election debt and also secured funding.

Many of the top organizers have cleared their slate and appear ready to go this summer.

While everyone talks about not wanting an election, we hear that every time. People will still vote just as they did over Christmas when the Tories called the last election.

I guess we'll find out from Ignatieff today and then it is all in the lands of Layton or Duceppe.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no guarantee a better window of oppourtunity for Liberals will open this fall - pull the plug and take the chance the Bloc won't back away from it's bluster.

And the Liberals know that during the summer, the Tories rise in the polls because of the out of sight, out of mind dynamic. The Tories are going to spend the entire summer ribbon cutting and making announcements. It doesn't matter if the election is now or in the fall since the Tories have that $3 billion that they have set aside for the election.

It is likely a better scenario to hammer the Tories on management of the economy and say it isn't just about stimulus but on responsible government.

It wont happen until after the Olympics. Iggy keeps this up it will look like he is more for power then for Canada,he needs to scale it back for a few months anyway becuase Harper wont have it until after the Olympics mark my words.

There isn't any way that Ignatieff will let Harper bask in the glow of the Olympics. Nor is he going to let Layton get a free ride by opposing every confidence vote and calling out the Liberals for going to an election. An election at this point is just as much or more Layton's responsibility.

We'll find out Monday if Ignatieff will vote no confidence. An election then lies in Layton's hand.

There isn't any way that Ignatieff will let Harper bask in the glow of the Olympics.

Didn't you just flatly say like two days ago that there would be no election this summer?

Funny all those people who were bitching about spending $300 million for an unnecessary election just 8 months back seem eager for another unnecessary election now, and damn the costs.

An election over what exactly? What excuse will iggy choose? That money isn't being spent fast enough? So he's going to uh, delay the money being spent in order to replace the government? No one but a blithering fool would think that would speed things up. On the contrary, it will clearly slow things down by some months.

Didn't you just flatly say like two days ago that there would be no election this summer?

Seem to recall saying that the NDP said they would not let an election happen. It is up to them now, no? If the Liberals vote no confidence, it is up to the NDP.

Funny all those people who were bitching about spending $300 million for an unnecessary election just 8 months back seem eager for another unnecessary election now, and damn the costs.

I don't believe I complained about the costs in that regard. I was convinced that the Tories had called the election exactly when they could do the best. So in that regard, it certainly wasn't an unnecessary election if Harper was convinced her could break the logjam. Ultimately, they let the BQ pull their jersey over their head and we ended up still in the minority situation.

An election over what exactly? What excuse will iggy choose? That money isn't being spent fast enough? So he's going to uh, delay the money being spent in order to replace the government? No one but a blithering fool would think that would speed things up. On the contrary, it will clearly slow things down by some months.

I think the issue will be one of leadership, competence and policies yet to be revealed during an election.

If the Liberals do vote no confidence, an election lies in the hands of Layton. As I said, he was the one who indicated they would not force an election.

Edited by jdobbin

Exactly what reason did Harper use to rush to the polls 8 months ago? Political instability? Clearly it was opportunism hoping to gain a majority before the current recession's formal arrival, in fact such was the haste and brazen nature of the call, Harper broke his own fixed election date law for what turned out to be a losing roll of the dice.

Failure to properly reform EI, failure to get the cheques out, Tories inability to track finances and putting out of it's misery a govt lurching from scandal to scandal are all adequate grounds for calling an election. Tory times are tough times also has a certain resonance.

If the Liberals do vote no confidence, an election lies in the hands of Layton. As I said, he was the one who indicated they would not force an election.

Everything rests on Layton. Unless the numbers were to change very radically in the near future, Iggy is going to need someone else's co-operation. Getting too chummy with the Bloc is dangerous (as Iggy's predecessor found out). The Tories will be out for revenge, so the only place left is to get into bed with the NDP.

I think Layton would back bringing the government down if he got some sort of a concrete deal from Iggy about the NDP's role in the next Parliament. Of course, Iggy previously treated Layton like the latter had some horrible disease, so it might not be so easy. But Layton has been eying an opportunity to get into government through the back door since the Martin minority, so I'm sure he'll forgive Iggy for treating him like a syphilitic with open sores.

Everything rests on Layton. Unless the numbers were to change very radically in the near future, Iggy is going to need someone else's co-operation. Getting too chummy with the Bloc is dangerous (as Iggy's predecessor found out). The Tories will be out for revenge, so the only place left is to get into bed with the NDP.

I think Layton would back bringing the government down if he got some sort of a concrete deal from Iggy about the NDP's role in the next Parliament. Of course, Iggy previously treated Layton like the latter had some horrible disease, so it might not be so easy. But Layton has been eying an opportunity to get into government through the back door since the Martin minority, so I'm sure he'll forgive Iggy for treating him like a syphilitic with open sores.

Its the smart move to bring the ND's into a coalition government. Then again it would be a smart move to bring the BLOC into a scenario within Quebec, but I think Iggy will want MP's of a Liberal stripe there.

Iggy hates the NDP, he came to NS to try to reverse the momentum of the provincial party but it didn't work. So he suck a bunch of federal resources into NS to sink the NDP and that did not work. Another lose for Iggy here you think he would deal with the NDP? I don't think he will.

Iggy hates the NDP, he came to NS to try to reverse the momentum of the provincial party but it didn't work. So he suck a bunch of federal resources into NS to sink the NDP and that did not work. Another lose for Iggy here you think he would deal with the NDP? I don't think he will.

You would prefer Conservative representation then vote that way. I think coalition style campaign would make a great deal of sense, and possibly provide a way to form a majority.

You would prefer Conservative representation then vote that way. I think coalition style campaign would make a great deal of sense, and possibly provide a way to form a majority.

I think Iggy hates the NDP, that is what I think and he wants them gone as much as he wants the Cons gone. I will be out in full force for the NDP if they call an election.

I think Iggy hates the NDP, that is what I think and he wants them gone as much as he wants the Cons gone. I will be out in full force for the NDP if they call an election.

Good for you! We need citizens out pounding on doors and putting up signs. I will be looking for an independent candidate as usual, but I will vote for which ever candidate I am most comfortable, with also as usual.

Exactly what reason did Harper use to rush to the polls 8 months ago? Political instability? Clearly it was opportunism hoping to gain a majority before the current recession's formal arrival, in fact such was the haste and brazen nature of the call, Harper broke his own fixed election date law for what turned out to be a losing roll of the dice.

Failure to properly reform EI, failure to get the cheques out, Tories inability to track finances and putting out of it's misery a govt lurching from scandal to scandal are all adequate grounds for calling an election. Tory times are tough times also has a certain resonance.

I'm willing to bet you've never said one thing about reforming EI, and never even had the idea until Ignatieff raised it. Which isn't odd given the Liberals never said one thing about the system either. Why would they? They created it! Failure to get cheques out? So you put everything on hold for three or four months to speed it up? LOL.

As far as "scandals" go. I'll take the Tory "scandals" which generally involve someone saying something which offends people, to Liberal scandals which generally involve truckloads of money going out the back door to friends and campaign contributors.

I think Iggy hates the NDP, that is what I think and he wants them gone as much as he wants the Cons gone.

Well, from the way NDP support has collapsed he might get his way if Professor Layton decides to lead with his gonads and put his party into an election it will get hammered in.

I'm willing to bet you've never said one thing about reforming EI, and never even had the idea until Ignatieff raised it. Which isn't odd given the Liberals never said one thing about the system either. Why would they? They created it! Failure to get cheques out? So you put everything on hold for three or four months to speed it up? LOL.

As far as "scandals" go. I'll take the Tory "scandals" which generally involve someone saying something which offends people, to Liberal scandals which generally involve truckloads of money going out the back door to friends and campaign contributors.

Funny thing the NDP has been raising the issue of EI reform from the time the LIBERALS changed the rules under Chretien. I think if all these Liberal band wagon jumpers truly want EI reform they would get behind the NDP and Yvon Godin the only person who actually fought for it. Iggy voted against EI reform for the last three years as Godin introduced countless bills in favour of it. Why has he changed his mind? It didn't need reforming two years ago because Ontario wasn't hurting then? There is more to Canada then Ontario and plenty of us were hurting 2 years ago when Iggy voted Godin down then.

ok lets cover all this for each party:

Conservatives: everyone says they hate them, but then alot of people run out and secretly vote for them because they dont like the liberals, Bloc, and the NDP. And wont certainly vote for the greens.

Liberals: Iggy comes off as wishy washy, and well even less then the Dion did. I dont think he has a chance of winning impo.

NDP: Jack has no chance of winning he comes off as a wingnut, and too far out there.

Green Party: No chance in hell of ever getting a seat with May as their leader. The reason is, people vote on presentation and appearance. The debates were not about ideas, it was presentation.

Basically until the NDP and Green party get leaders that actually feel and represent mainstream look and feel, people wont really vote for them.

ok lets cover all this for each party:

Conservatives: everyone says they hate them, but then alot of people run out and secretly vote for them because they dont like the liberals, Bloc, and the NDP. And wont certainly vote for the greens.

Liberals: Iggy comes off as wishy washy, and well even less then the Dion did. I dont think he has a chance of winning impo.

NDP: Jack has no chance of winning he comes off as a wingnut, and too far out there.

Green Party: No chance in hell of ever getting a seat with May as their leader. The reason is, people vote on presentation and appearance. The debates were not about ideas, it was presentation.

Basically until the NDP and Green party get leaders that actually feel and represent mainstream look and feel, people wont really vote for them.

The Conservatives have tabled bad budgets, incurred much debt and have been off the mark by billions in deficit calculations. They have accomplished very little this session, and are now under the probation gun. I would say Harper will lose control of the House of Commons at a minimum, and may have to suffer a Liberal majority at a maximum. He will retire after this loss.

Funny thing the NDP has been raising the issue of EI reform from the time the LIBERALS changed the rules under Chretien. I think if all these Liberal band wagon jumpers truly want EI reform they would get behind the NDP and Yvon Godin the only person who actually fought for it. Iggy voted against EI reform for the last three years as Godin introduced countless bills in favour of it. Why has he changed his mind?

Because their party is looking for an issue in which to hold a quick election to take advantage of their temporary poll advantage. So the spin doctors and the likes of Warren Kinsella got together and tried to figure out simple, easily explained subjects which would put them on the high road and help justify an election. It's all spin, spin spin. If an election is held it will have absolutely nothing to do with the economy or EI. It will be done purely out of political ambition.

Well, from the way NDP support has collapsed he might get his way if Professor Layton decides to lead with his gonads and put his party into an election it will get hammered in.

IIRC the NDP has never backed away from a fight, because of polling data. They are a party that if it means being wiped out, then so be it.

The Liberals are ready for a summer of puffery. The Liberals are not ready for an election.

I believe the Liberals are not concerned with the Conservative Government, but want to make it a showdown with the NDP.

It is for this reason that the Liberals will back away from an election. The NDP will stare them down, knowing that the Liberals are not ready. The Liberals will use the Summer to huff and puff, but their first order of operations is to go after the NDP.

Should be interesting... the CPC may get a free lunch, and only have to deal with the economy.

Like that's any fun right now.