Harper has the reputation of 'Mr. Mean'

http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/Harper...1531/story.html

These three elements, the campaign cuts, the separatist coalition and the shunning of Mulroney by a prime minister of his own party, add up to a kind of three strikes against Harper in Quebec. Perhaps unfairly, he is being defined by these events for what is known in French as "mesquinerie," a certain meanness of spirit. And it is sticking to him here despite the many times he has offered "la main tendue," the outstretched hand, to Quebec, beginning in the 2006 campaign, and in every circumstance since, not least his reading his opening statements entirely in French first, as well as the Québécois nation resolution he steered through the House.

Harper can still raise money in Quebec but election prospects are pretty dismal as long as he is perceived to be the person he is.

http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/Harper...1531/story.html

Harper can still raise money in Quebec but election prospects are pretty dismal as long as he is perceived to be the person he is.

Well if we are lucky the time will come when he does not need votes from kebec.

Until that time arrives, the option of a transplanted American heading up the libs - or the NDP - or that party designed to tear Canada into pieces (and supported by many in that province) are all poor choices for Canada in the long run.

For a minority government - like him or not - he has kept it together far better than many expected - have to give him credit where credit is due.

And to the best of our knowledge he is not "stealing" tax money and hiding it in various government operations like the previous ruling party did.

Borg

Listening to Mulroney. there's no LOVE for Harper the way Mulroney has put in his digs against Harper and his government within his views of the inquiry going on. I really believe by his wording of Harper that Mulroney may have withdrew from the Tory party. I can't see Harper being reelcted by all the unemployment now and others that will follow in the coming days connected to the auto sector alone. I believe Harper doesn't have what is good for the country at heart and is just enjoying the benefits of being PM.

Listening to Mulroney. there's no LOVE for Harper the way Mulroney has put in his digs against Harper and his government within his views of the inquiry going on. I really believe by his wording of Harper that Mulroney may have withdrew from the Tory party. I can't see Harper being reelcted by all the unemployment now and others that will follow in the coming days connected to the auto sector alone. I believe Harper doesn't have what is good for the country at heart and is just enjoying the benefits of being PM.

Mulroney? Bah! A has been.

Who cares about him.

You may not like Harper - but as I stated - have to give him credit - kept the country and the party together while in a minority role.

The options? A transplanted American. A left win loony. Or a party designed to divide the country - and representing one province - kebec - while sitting in a national parliamentary house. That in itself is a joke.

Why don't you run? Maybe you can do a better job.

Borg

I can't see Harper being reelcted by all the unemployment now and others that will follow in the coming days connected to the auto sector alone.

Anyone who blames him for unemployment is an idiot. That being said there are a lot of idiots and I do agree with you that people ARE blaming him and looking for change.

I believe Harper doesn't have what is good for the country at heart and is just enjoying the benefits of being PM.

Well THERE is a strong argument....

Well if we are lucky the time will come when he does not need votes from kebec.

Until that time arrives, the option of a transplanted American heading up the libs - or the NDP - or that party designed to tear Canada into pieces (and supported by many in that province) are all poor choices for Canada in the long run.

For a minority government - like him or not - he has kept it together far better than many expected - have to give him credit where credit is due.

And to the best of our knowledge he is not "stealing" tax money and hiding it in various government operations like the previous ruling party did.

Borg

Well Borg hate to break it to you but that day will NEVER come so I would advise against holding your breath. The reality is roughly 62% of the population of Canada lives in Ontario and Quebec. 23% of which is in Quebec alone. The rest of Canada doesn’t even have to vote as the election is determined in these two provinces , toss in the sliding support he has in BC and Harper’s hope of achieving anything more than official opposition are dim at best. To lose Quebec is a major political blow that Mr. Harper will never recover from.

I’ll grant you he’s had one of the longest running minority governments in history, however that doesn’t necessarily indicate it was successful. He definitely has political guile of that there is no denying. However, guile will only take you so far and despite all your inane and ridiculous aspersions toward Mr. Ignatieff he has nowhere to go but up. Combine the fact that he’s a new face, and consequently most Canadians could care less where he’s lived the past 30 years, he’s not Mr. Harper and the fact that he’s gaining popularity in both Ontario, Quebec and BC and it’s pretty much a done deal. The only core of support Mr. Harper and by extension the CPC has left is in the Prairies and that constitutes just over 17% of the Population.

Well Borg hate to break it to you but that day will NEVER come so I would advise against holding your breath. The reality is roughly 62% of the population of Canada lives in Ontario and Quebec. 23% of which is in Quebec alone. The rest of Canada doesn’t even have to vote as the election is determined in these two provinces , toss in the sliding support he has in BC and Harper’s hope of achieving anything more than official opposition are dim at best. To lose Quebec is a major political blow that Mr. Harper will never recover from.

A lot of blather here - and I have never stated he would have a majority - all I said was he is the alternative to a bunch of whacked out losers, some franco traitors or a rich man brought in from outside the country.

I will never hold my breathe about kebec going - it likes the big welfare cheques from the remainder of the country

Ontario has been a lost cause for years due to lib social re-engineering.

I would rather a Harper minority than a lib majority by far.

Borg

Harper has the reputation of 'Mr. Mean'

Come'on, I thought he was a mad dog fear biter? But let me guess, next he'll be a stupid face, right? Of course, everyone has to remember, that anyone who challenges liberals is considered mean and/or nasty. :rolleyes:

What a waste of a thread. Somebody thinks Harper is mean. What is this? Kindergarten? :lol:

A lot of blather here - and I have never stated he would have a majority - all I said was he is the alternative to a bunch of whacked out losers, some franco traitors or a rich man brought in from outside the country.

I will never hold my breathe about kebec going - it likes the big welfare cheques from the remainder of the country

Ontario has been a lost cause for years due to lib social re-engineering.

I would rather a Harper minority than a lib majority by far.

Borg

Clearly you have no love for Quebec but any PM that wishes to survive in Canada needs to or at least maintain the appearance that he does. The shame of it is Mr. Harper and the CPC were actually making inroads in both Ontario and Quebec. However, various and sundry political bungles and the slumping economy led to a rather disastrous end to this love affair.

My point simply is that Mr. Harper can’t even hope for a minority government at the rate his support is dropping in Ontario and BC combined with the losses he’s already suffered in Quebec. This is not to say his fortunes cannot be changed in Ontario and BC, and if he’s going to get his party back into government he’ll certainly have to work toward changing them.

This of course means there is going to be a lot of pandering to Quebec and Ontario which of course won’t sit well with Alberta. The outcome of the next election doesn’t look good for Mr. Harper at this point, however who knows when that will be. The outcome is dependent on many factors not the least of which is timing.

Anyone who blames him for unemployment is an idiot.

Ignoring it or the economic trends leading to this are the responsibility of the current government. I do blame him as much as I blame the Provincial Liberals.

Anyone government that hands out Billions upon Billions upon Billions of dollars in Moneys, Grants, and Tax Cuts and help enable foreign ownership do as they please, which includes closing up and relocating under the government tab, are indeed the responsibility of the government.

Both Liberal and Conservatives share and continue to share the same philosophy. Therefore, I don't blame Harper anymore then anyother North American Government of the past 20 years. This is the direction that there policies intended to take us, and this is the society in which they want to direct Canada.

Lower wages, part time and precarious work. Technology to be reserved for an offshore economy along with industrial production.

Natural resources are to be exploited with no concern for the citizens who are the actual owners of those resources.

Do I blame him??? Damn right, it is what many Conservatives and Liberals believe as the way to govern.

It is one I disagree with.

Of course I blame him.

Do I think this thread title is mean.... yeah, a wee bit. But then its the paper that created the topic.

Come'on, I thought he was a mad dog fear biter? But let me guess, next he'll be a stupid face, right? Of course, everyone has to remember, that anyone who challenges liberals is considered mean and/or nasty. :rolleyes:

He acts like a made dog fear biter.

I know he is heroic to you but he is now regarded as someone incapable of doing anything but attack.

What a waste of a thread. Somebody thinks Harper is mean. What is this? Kindergarten? :lol:

And yet you are drawn to it like a moth.

He acts like a made dog fear biter.

I know he is heroic to you but he is now regarded as someone incapable of doing anything but attack.

And yet you are drawn to it like a moth.

seems like Cnadians trust him more then anyother politician in Canada, but then through you red coloured glasses you see what you want.

seems like Cnadians trust him more then anyother politician in Canada, but then through you red coloured glasses you see what you want.

Seems like more Canadians don't favour your party and that makes some see red.

Does typing this sort of nonsense make you feel better? I mean, do you actually think this, or is it just a little mantra you say to yourself as the Conservatives collapse in popularity?

Does typing this sort of nonsense make you feel better? I mean, do you actually think this, or is it just a little mantra you say to yourself as the Conservatives collapse in popularity?

public opinion rises and falls its politics.....but then again liberal gains have been at the expense of the NDP so I'm not so sure I know of what collapse you are talking about.

public opinion rises and falls its politics.....but then again liberal gains have been at the expense of the NDP so I'm not so sure I know of what collapse you are talking about.

Let's see: Tory support at election: 36% Today: Liberal support 36%. All from the NDP, right?

That's not even that bad. I remember Dion was polling higher than Harper in the past as well. Anything can change in a week or even a day in politics. I wouldn't read too much into it.

There was only a handful of times that the Liberals were higher than the Tories since 2006.

And yes, things can change in a week. It still doesn't mean that people don't find Harper politics of division distasteful.

Edited by jdobbin

Besides the unemployment problem, the isotope problem has come back and again, people who need cancer treatment are go to be put off treatments. This problem should be been fixed the last time but here it is again. The last time this happen hospitals in the US were also affected and the state of Michigan reported that they were going to look into the isotope industry, they probably knew this would happen again and they were right.

The problem is, it's very hard to build these reactors, and so you have a half dozen old reactors around the world making isotopes...and it just so happens that almost all of them are shut down.

• 2 weeks later...