Obama Gets MAD

Pulling out the big guns are we? Spelling mistakes, oooooh. Okay, so now we have satire, irony, tragedy... and we can add short story and comedy to the list. ;)

Another mistake...it's not spelling....it's capitalization. The "spelling" reference in the article was a mistake, and anybody familiar with the satire icon that is MAD Magazine would know that.

This is how pretenders like you are easily identified, especially those posers who like to dish it out but not take it.

Another mistake...it's not spelling....it's capitalization. The "spelling" reference in the article was a mistake, and anybody familiar with the satire icon that is MAD Magazine would know that.

This is how pretenders like you are easily identified, especially those posers who like to dish it out but not take it.

Mad magazine isn't an acronym, therefore it is SPELLED different ways. Lookee here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mad_(magazine)

Other than the logo of MAD, everywhere througout the entry Mad is not capitalised when used as a reference to the noun.

It appears your desperation has you trekking toward historical fiction now. :rolleyes:

Edited by BC_chick

It doesn't have to be an acronym...but it is fun to watch you squirm over an American pop culture icon.

That's what happens when you play with things you don't understand.

Did you even open the Wiki link to see that all throughout that lengthy entry, nowhere is Mad spelled with all caps except in the logo?

I know it's difficult to admit you're wrong, but fable isn't the way out of this.

Did you even open the Wiki link to see that all throughout that lengthy entry, nowhere is Mad spelled with all caps except in the logo?

I know it's difficult to admit you're wrong, but fable isn't the way out of this.

Nope....I'm just having fun with your bruised ego. Keep churning for my entertainment.

You're like a Don Martin cartoon...but you don't know what that means either....try Wiki again...your window into what you don't know.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

Nope....I'm just having fun with your bruised ego. Keep churning for my entertainment.

You're like a Don Martin cartoon...but you don't know what that means either....try Wiki again...your window into what you don't know.

Forget wiki, I could provide a dozen other references to Mad and you know it because as a reference to the noun, that's how it's spelled. Even when referring to the very same article you mention:

Mad Magazine has a different question: What will Barack Obama achieve during his first 100 minutes in office?
http://blog.indecision2008.com/2009/01/08/...utes-exclusive/

Why would my ego be bruised when I've served your behind to you on a platter in this discussion. You're now going full-circle back to tragedy. I love it! ;)

Forget wiki, I could provide a dozen other references to Mad and you know it because as a reference to the noun, that's how it's spelled. Even when referring to the very same article you mention:

http://blog.indecision2008.com/2009/01/08/...utes-exclusive/

Why would my ego be bruised when I've served your behind to you on a platter in this discussion. You're now going full-circle back to tragedy. I love it! ;)

A little revenge can be a learning tool....I say turn up the heat and cook what you are about to serve....wait - over cook it...no burn him alive ----wait..........lets make it real tragic....lets mention that Obama's half brother who lives in a grass hut just got busted for a joint - I did not realize that Africans were pot head - I thought they snorted bitter bark mixed with snake blood for kicks. :lol:

I was referring to THIS post...

which was in response to BC Chick saying "his type"...

and I said "his type" does not mean his "race" but his politics.

Yes, but you were wrong.

It's obvious-- except to you, apparently-- what BC Chick was getting at in referencing boxing, basketball, and golf... these are sports that were once dominated by white people but came to be dominated by black people (or at least by Tiger Woods, in the case of golf.) BC Chick is mockingly reassuring Dick that black people haven't taken over politics... yet.

Presumably she is poking fun at white people who worry that "they" are taking over everything.

But I am shocked-- shocked, I tell you-- that such a racially provocative comment would be made now that we're in The New Post-Racial Age ™. BC Chick, haven't you learned to paint with all the colors of the wind yet?

-k

But I am shocked-- shocked, I tell you-- that such a racially provocative comment would be made now that we're in The New Post-Racial Age . BC Chick, haven't you learned to paint with all the colors of the wind yet?

Twice in two days kimmy? tsk tsk tsk. No, you've once again made a false presumption about me just because I identify myself as a left-winger. As a matter of fact, I do not agree with the notion that race is a social construct, though I think culture is.

Travel amongst human beings is a relatively new phenomenon, that means people within similar lineage share many of the same genes, this is a fact, it is science. Acknowledging this fact, does not make someone racist.

I explained this to you when you brought up stereotyping, but not surprisingly you never responded to my post then either. I know that you want to make this a black or white issue (pardon the pun), but life is not that simple. A medical study showing that black males have a higher proportion of prostate cancer is not racist commentary. There is a time and place to discuss race.

However, prejudging people or discriminating against them because of their race or ethnicity is, very much, racist.

As for the topic of the discussion here, I was making fun of BC2004, not whites. If it's any consolation, I don't think he's racist unlike some other forum members. It was a satirical comment with no malice intended against whites or blacks. At first I thought you got it, but evidently you didn't.

Edited by BC_chick

It's obvious-- except to you, apparently-- what BC Chick was getting at in referencing boxing, basketball, and golf... these are sports that were once dominated by white people but came to be dominated by black people (or at least by Tiger Woods, in the case of golf.) BC Chick is mockingly reassuring Dick that black people haven't taken over politics... yet.

This thread has taken an interesting turn, exposing some latent "racial" anxieties.

In the case of Mr. Woods, he is not "black" by his own strident declaration, and resents being used as a pawn in such "racist' games.

Twice in two days kimmy? tsk tsk tsk. No, you've once again made a false presumption about me just because I identify myself as a left-winger. As a matter of fact, I do not agree with the notion that race is a social construct, though I think culture is.

Travel amongst human beings is a relatively new phenomenon, that means people within similar lineage share many of the same genes, this is a fact, it is science. Acknowledging this fact, does not make someone racist.

Relax, Chick, I was just having some fun. Firstly, to tease you for being so blatantly un-PC, and secondly to make fun of my current favorite media catch-phrase, "post-racial".

Whatever the biological legitimacy of race as a concept may be, I think everybody who lives in the real world recognizes that "race" exists as an issue in our society.

And yet, how often have you heard media talking heads talking about "a new post-racial age" since the US election?

I explained this to you when you brought up stereotyping, but not surprisingly you never responded to my post then either. I know that you want to make this a black or white issue (pardon the pun), but life is not that simple. A medical study showing that black males have a higher proportion of prostate cancer is not racist commentary. There is a time and place to discuss race.

However, prejudging people or discriminating against them because of their race or ethnicity is, very much, racist.

If the post to which you'd expected a response was this one...

Kimmy, I don't know what you find so difficult about the concept of intent. It's quite simple actually.

If you tell your Asian buddy that Asians are good at math, or if you ask your black friend if he wants to go for fried chicken, it is not the same thing as scoffing past a bunch of blacks on the street that gotta hurry to catch that fried chicken or laughing at an Asian for being Asian and therefore good at math.

There is no malice intended in both the first cases, whereas both second cases the intent is to RIDICULE.

Passive-aggressivesly, sure, but meaning to be hurtful just the same.

...I didn't see much point in responding. It seems to basically boil down to "saying mean stuff is only mean if you mean to be mean."

Which is first off kind of pointless when "mean" is in the eye of the beholder. There are no shortage of people who wish to read racist intent into ordinary actions.

Once, I bumped into a black girl who was attempting to board a bus as I was exiting. Common courtesy says you wait for people to exit before you attempt to enter, and particularly don't step right in front of someone as they're coming out of a narrow door. However, in her mind apparently the contact occured because I hated her skin tone, and she was ready to throw down to avenge this insult. Another time, a black couple was studying the menu at a food-court kiosk. They were well back from the till, and appeared to be deep in thought; I already knew what I was going to order, so approached the till and placed my order. "Hey, you don't get to cut in front of us just because you're white," the woman angrily informed me. "I'm sorry, were you ready to order?" I replied, and she glared daggers at me and stormed off, towing her companion with her. My intent was not racist, my intent was simply to order lunch... but that mattered little to the angry woman. Not intending to be racist is of no consequence. One must apparently walk on eggshells to avoid such confrontations.

-k

Relax, Chick, I was just having some fun. Firstly, to tease you for being so blatantly un-PC, and secondly to make fun of my current favorite media catch-phrase, "post-racial".

Whatever the biological legitimacy of race as a concept may be, I think everybody who lives in the real world recognizes that "race" exists as an issue in our society.

I have never claimed to be PC. I've told you in the past as well that I think PC's take it too far by denying the existence of any type of cultural traits. They don't believe in any type of cultural stereotypes, even when they're good, because in their opinion it leads to more generalised stereotypes and validates prejudging people. I've told you in the past that I disagree with such extreme notions of political correctness. Similarly, I believe women are equal to men, but I don't believe in gender being entirely a social construct either... as do many of my friends.

I repeat, I'm against discrimination and prejudging based on cultural stereotypes. I'm sorry you seem to confuse treating other humans fairly with being 'PC'...

As for 'everyone' knowing that race exists, no, they don't. I know many people who do, in fact, deny aspects of race as they do with culture. Those people drive me crazy, incidentally. I had a pretty passionate disagreement with a friend recently where he was quite upset that I acknowledged certain differences within a certain group. Whatever, to me his position is just as extreme as some of the posters on this forum... just two different sides of the same coin.

I know that puts a damper on your presumption about me, but just because I follow a certain ideology it doesn't mean I follow the 'manifesto' word for word. I am capable of independent thinking. Backpeddle all you want now about 'having fun' with me, but you know that you once again made a false presumption about me because of my views on other things.

As for your notions on self-victimisation and race, well, I'm certainly happy to see that you've ran into the three spokespeople for the black race. How, um, refreshing and, um open-minded to see someone place so much value on their own personal experiences. :rolleyes:

Edited by BC_chick

I repeat, I'm against discrimination and prejudging based on cultural stereotypes. I'm sorry you seem to confuse treating other humans fairly with being 'PC'...

I'm all for fairness. We might not always agree about what fairness actually means.

As for your notions on self-victimisation and race, well, I'm certainly happy to see that you've ran into the three spokespeople for the black race. How, um, refreshing and, um open-minded to see someone place so much value on their own personal experiences. :rolleyes:

I never claimed these individuals to be representatives of the entire group. I mentioned them to illustrate that people view events through their own lens. I don't think I'm saying anything outrageous or controversial there. I suspect that many people can relate to the experiences I mentioned. And I think some people have been conditioned to read racism into situations.

You'd wanted to talk about intent, but nobody knows your intentions except you, and it's no secret that some people will assume the worst.

-k

But I am shocked-- shocked, I tell you-- that such a racially provocative comment would be made now that we're in The New Post-Racial Age . BC Chick, haven't you learned to paint with all the colors of the wind yet?

-k

Paint with all the colours of the wind. Perfect. I agree with you -- there's nothing "post-racial" about human society, let alone American society. It's an unfortunate reality, but it's a reality nonetheless -- the majority of people are not colour blind and they're not about to become so anytime soon. I don't get this whole "we elected Obama and therefore our sins are forgiven" mentality, nor do I get the "we elected Obama, so everything should become rainbows and kittens by next Thursday latest" mentality. There is a LOT of sh*t left to scrape through...this was only the first step (and even that isn't for sure yet!)