Can the NDP win the next federal election?

The pot must be pretty good in that studio. Moe Sihota (former provincial NDP cabinet minister turned reporter) probably leading the charge.

Vancouver Island has pockets that would rather we all start organic farms, use only alternative medicine, and shut down all polluting industry (all industry). This way we could all be poor, and live in the dark ages again.

Get real. They will gain some seats but they have little rural support and if you haven't noticed most of Canada is rural.

Its wishful thinking, but the NDP is not going to win 156 seats in the next election. They can, however, win a large enough chunk of seats to either a) become the balace of power in a minority, or B) become the official opposition.

Either scenario for the NDP could be considered a victory considering their dismal electoral results since 1993.

Its wishful thinking, but the NDP is not going to win 156 seats in the next election. They can, however, win a large enough chunk of seats to either a) become the balace of power in a minority, or B) become the official opposition.

Either scenario for the NDP could be considered a victory considering their dismal electoral results since 1993.

What they meant with the question was will NDP win most number of seats, not necessarily a majority. ;)

I think the NDP will do well in French speaking areas outside Quebec.

And with this solid base, the NDP will go on to control the commanding heights of the Canadian political and economic landscape. Onward Victorious!

Debout! Les damnés de la terre!

Debout! Les forçats de la faim!

What they meant with the question was will NDP win most number of seats, not necessarily a majority. ;)

I'd love to be proven wrong, but the NDP at best can look forward to 45-50 seats. Of course, that is record territory for the NDP but nowhere near a minority governing position, etc..

Given that the NDP only commands 17-19% of popular support and knowing where the NDP support concentrations are, it is highly unlikely that they will get any higher than 50..

Broadbent said NDP has 18-20% now, and expects 21-22% on voting day.

I would say between 50 & 60 seats. We'll see.

Martin destroyed Harper in QP period today which was interesting but actually to be expected.

I think in Ontario NDP are looking at Toronto, Ottawa, Windsor, & Northern Ontario.

Don't forget Layton is the only leader who lives in Ontario.

I wonder how much NDP can grow in Atlantic Canada.

Layton getting under Liberal skin ahead of expected election call

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2004/03.../394381-cp.html

Maplesyrup also stated that Belinda would win on the second ballot at the leadership event and nobody thought it was just a bad guess. Also tried to convince members of mapleleaf that voting started at 2:30 pm, again misinformation. Ignorance or propaganda? Either way it is correct to draw attention to it as Springer has done.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, it is possible for an NDP victory,and the reason why,

Bush and his team are supporting them.When they decide

to take us over,like they plan to do with Iraq,a pacifist

Canadian government will be easier to overthrow,but Bush doesn't realize the liberals have surpassed the NDP

in fighting for left wing ideals.

• 2 weeks later...
Yes, it is possible for an NDP victory,and the reason why,

Bush and his team are supporting them.When they decide

to take us over,like they plan to do with Iraq,a pacifist

Canadian government will be easier to overthrow,but Bush doesn't realize the liberals have surpassed the NDP

in fighting for left wing ideals.

I'm glad to see that the Conservative Party of Canada can count on your aptitude from political analysis. <_<

Maplesyrup also stated that Belinda would win on the second ballot at the leadership event and nobody thought it was just a bad guess. Also tried to convince members of mapleleaf that voting started at 2:30 pm, again misinformation. Ignorance or propaganda? Either way it is correct to draw attention to it as Springer has done.

I really was hoping that Belinda would win on the second ballot.

And as far as the voting time I was actually trying to be helpful. The CBC were announcing what I thought was the start of the voting time. As it turned out it was the start of their TV coverage time. Either I misunderstood them, or they were screwing up with their announcement (I still think they were screwing up with their announcement).

No smoking guns here. ;)