President of Canada?

I'm seeing more and more of this around these days.

Rowntree Public School is... taking part in a week-long Obamathon leading up to Tuesday's inauguration.

These kids probably don't have a clue who Michaelle Jean is, but they're now going to get an indepth week of study on the next President of the United States, and gather en masse to watch his swearing-in.

Now, most certainly the installation of Barack Obama as the US head of state is a noteworthy event, and I can perhaps even concede that this inauguration is vested with a certain significance beyond most of those that have come before. But, really, the over-glorification of Obama in the States is bad enough, let alone seeing that idolisation spread into this country (and its schools, no less), where we already have problems with a diminishing collective knowledge of our own culture and civics. It may appear all gooey-sweet and multicultural to make schoolchildren excited about a man with vaguely brown skin being sworn in to a high office, but this is Canadian schoolchildren being made excited about an American man swearing allegiance to the constitution of the United States. Putting aside the fact that the school would not have held a similar celebration had John McCain won the presidency, is this not just another example of Canadians bowing in awe of the US, rather than celebrating and learning about their own?

[ed. to restore previous version]

Edited by g_bambino

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is obvious you did not read your own link. Had you, the remarks you made would not have been.

But I did, and I don't know which is more pathetic:

1. Obamamania in Canada at the usual cost of domestic irrelevance, or

2. The real possibility that an "Obama" would/could never happen in Canada, not even if it spoke French.

But I did, and I don't know which is more pathetic:

1. Obamamania in Canada at the usual cost of domestic irrelevance, or

2. The real possibility that an "Obama" would/could never happen in Canada, not even if it spoke French.

Hmm, neither are relevant to the story. :blink:

So I guess then you didnt read it either . But thats okay.

The teacher has taught about Terry Fox, Mandela, and MLK. They are historical figures. Obama is a historical figure.

Considering the school is largely immigrant, and in some cases mixed immigrant, she saw it as a good lesson that you can achieve anything in life.

Hmm, neither are relevant to the story. :blink:

So I guess then you didnt read it either . But thats okay.

If you mean I didn't read it with your eyes and your bias...true.

Considering the school is largely immigrant, and in some cases mixed immigrant, she saw it as a good lesson that you can achieve anything in life.

Yes...a fine reason not to include Michaelle Jean. Maybe it was a unit only about males.

It was embarrassing to watch the weeping face of a liberal Canadian woman photographed watching the American Presidential electoral results - she was weeping and appeared to be an old portrait of some believer seeing the damned virgin mary appear on a frosted window...it was pitiful how emotional and naive most people are - sure there are many who believe that Obama is theirs - wait until he wages war and send off thousands of dumb and hopeful black service men to be slaughtered - then the weeping in joy will stop - No one knows who this big eared white black boy king really is..but they embrace the idea of racial equality and justice - as if Obama will bring justice to the world - He will never turn on the ones who installed them - he likes the adventure and the thrill of power to much - the man swaggers when he walks. That is not a good sign or a good impression of a benevolent and loving leader - He is your typical surrogate - Just like Bush - and if he does try to bring about change - well you know - they just might Kennedy him to the Ford Theatre.

The fools use to weep for Kennedy too....if only they knew the real score.

There is an aging elite I know of in Canada who's fathers traded with the Brofmans and the Kennedy clan back when they were realized as good old fashioned organized crime. BOOZE and the selling of it to America is what allowed certain families to build up huge fortunes and slowly in two generations take over ALL of our institutions - I said that to my old banker friend - "Remember your roots - you dad was a common bootleger...he did not like the fact that I dragged his ass back into perspective - But he did not disagree. As for Kennedy and his brother - they were not saints...and if they so much even tried to go against the system - or tried to do "what was right" - they lost their lives - Kennedy should have continued to tow the mafia poitical line - and he would be an old man today - he got arrogant and developed a Messiah mentality - and as we know - NO CHRISTS ALLOWED....bad for buisness..but the fools weep as if he was a grand knight of Camelot.

It was embarrassing to watch the weeping face of a liberal Canadian woman photographed watching the American Presidential electoral results - she was weeping and appeared to be an old portrait of some believer seeing the damned virgin mary appear on a frosted window...it was pitiful how emotional and naive most people are - sure there are many who believe that Obama is theirs - wait until he wages war and send off thousands of dumb and hopeful black service men to be slaughtered - then the weeping in joy will stop - No one knows who this big eared white black boy king really is..but they embrace the idea of racial equality and justice - as if Obama will bring justice to the world - He will never turn on the ones who installed them - he likes the adventure and the thrill of power to much - the man swaggers when he walks. That is not a good sign or a good impression of a benevolent and loving leader - He is your typical surrogate - Just like Bush - and if he does try to bring about change - well you know - they just might Kennedy him to the Ford Theatre.

I found the "Obamamania" here in Edmonton to be very amusing. What a materialistic campaign of support! Obviously Obama appeared visually stunning to these people as not many dared to be caught without their Obama pins, flags, banners, T-shirts, etc.. I even thought about wearing an Obama mask for haloween for the social accomodation it could possibly have brought me. What amazed me most was how the politcally naive were not the only ones connived into the visual frill of Obama. I found myself trying to explain to those pseudo-intellectual, left-wing artsy types that no, in fact, Obama does not plan on pulling out the troops, rather he plans to increase them, at least temporarily. How pathetic I found it seeing people in bars wavings their Obama paraphanelia while watching the upcoming election results.

The election of Obama, of course, is a landmark, at least in racial terms. I think though, that many people overrode the relevance of this inspiring fact and romanticized it with the political and economic reversal of the policies of a man completely the opposite of Obama; Bush. I feel that many see Obama as a savior of America from Bush and once Bush ceases to become that bad man of which "change" is needed to rid America of his evil acts that Obama will then face great difficulty in maintaining that ever-elusive ambiguity of his politics.

These kids probably don't have a clue who Michaelle Jean is, but they're now going to get an indepth week of study on the next President of the United States, and gather en masse to watch his swearing-in.
There's an old expression - bleu à Québec, rouge au fédéral - or vice versa.

I think the same may apply here. English Canadians will prefer a politician who is different from the American leader.

Bambino, in your OP, you want to state that Canada is different from America. Obama is not our head of state. So, as a result, who (and others who think like you) will you vote for?

OMG!

We've had at least two charismatic minority leaders: Laurier and Trudeau. (And you'll note that Laurier was elected PM in 1896, shortly after Confederation - whereas it took some two centuries for a Black American to become president).

I think that Obama is far closer to a Laurier than a Trudeau. (b_c, check out Laurier's bio - it's close to my prediction of Obama's future. Obama shows all the signs of being a Laurier.)

And you Americans have never had a St-Laurent...

====

I have to say that Obama's case intrigues me, certainly since I listened to his two books. Excepting Kennedy, Americans have only had male WASPs as head of state. (Wilsons, Lincolns, Grants, Bushes... I think Carter was the first Baptist.)

Then again, you have to admire a country who has a head of state named Roosevelt who hires someone named Eisenhower to defeat someone name Schickelgruber.

Edited by August1991

Here we have yet more Canadians fawning over the American messiah, as well as First Nations deluding themselves with Americanised visions of this country.

And what may fairly be termed "the Obama effect" can also be observed among local First Nations people, said Jessica Yee, director of the Native Youth Sexual Health Network, citing a recent speech by rapper Wab Kinew in which he urged the community's young people to mobilize to elect a First Nations prime minister.

"Because if America could see a black president, we should be able to see that," said Yee, who worked to mobilize the American Native vote during the election. "Locally, what I've seen people feel is that we need to entice Canada to have a reality like that."

It would seem to me that these individuals believe the Prime Minister to be merely a differently titled president, and that we Canadians directly elect that individual as they do in the US. Obviously Yee doesn't know what it would take to "have a reality like that" - namely, she seems to have neglected to mention the major constitutional changes that would be involved.

This is a perfect example of the wider ignorance I was earlier speaking about. It's existence was highlighted by the recent kerfluffle on Parliament Hill, but this Obamamania only seems to be entrenching the Americanised misidentification deeper into the collective Canadian consciousness. Celebrity worship is one thing, but in this case it appears that the Obama effect has dragged the state, governance, and national identity into the mix.

[ed. for sp.]

Edited by g_bambino

I hope that for all those Americans who believe that Obama will bring change,but what change we don`t really know ,but change it will be, I hope that they are not left disappointed. I wish my nieghbours good luck! I think down deep Obama is a decent individual and an inspiration to be sure of the nation. But for the life of me I do not understand why his inaugeration is being taught in Canadian school? Did these teachers spend time on our leadership of Harper,Martin, Chretien? Did they educate our kids about home grown politics and leadership? Or are we witnessing a reverse racism? Obama has given hope to parents of Black children. No doubt about it! I am glad for that and hope that where an inferiority complex has been prevalent that he inspires young people to forsake gangs for education, decency and the importance of family. But he is not a god. He is but a man who has risen to the top job of his nation. Not mine or my children or my country.

OMG!

We've had at least two charismatic minority leaders: Laurier and Trudeau. (And you'll note that Laurier was elected PM in 1896, shortly after Confederation - whereas it took some two centuries for a Black American to become president).

I think that Obama is far closer to a Laurier than a Trudeau. (b_c, check out Laurier's bio - it's close to my prediction of Obama's future. Obama shows all the signs of being a Laurier.)

And you Americans have never had a St-Laurent...

The fawning over Obama has happened before one day in office. And of course, the Americans (and the collective "world") do not associate Obama with Laurier and Trudeau, for obvious reasons. There can be no Obama in Canada, partly because Canada is uncomfortable with its own racial bigotry in favor of constitutional arguments over language. With Obama, the Americans can let it all hang out, but performance in office is yet to be seen.

Methinks you have fallen in the same American celebrity trap, trying to elevate the history of men (who don't more need elevation), with a man who hasn't even been inaugurated yet.

It would seem to me that these individuals believe the Prime Minister to be merely a differently titled president, and that we Canadians directly elect that individual as they do in the US. Obviously Yee doesn't know what it would take to "have a reality like that" - namely, she seems to have neglected to mention the major constitutional changes that would be involved.

Of course....these vicarious Americans are seemingly caught up in a perfect storm of corrupted education, cross border media celebrity, and festering disdain for the current American president (George Bush).

This is a perfect example of the wider ignorance I was earlier speaking about. It's existence was highlighted by the recent kerfluffle on Parliament Hill, but this Obamamania only seems to be entrenching the Americanised misidentification deeper into the collective Canadian consciousness. Celebrity worship is one thing, but in this case it appears that the Obama effect has dragged the state, governance, and national identity into the mix.

Agreed...as this has long been my unwelcomed Yankee refrain and observation. You are one of the few members who have championed a Canadian identity in this onslaught and capitulation. It is one thing to use the Americans as foils for the very definition of something Canadian and quite different, but it is truly pathetic to adopt such a definition out of ignorance or self contempt.

... But for the life of me I do not understand why his inaugeration is being taught in Canadian school? Did these teachers spend time on our leadership of Harper,Martin, Chretien? Did they educate our kids about home grown politics and leadership? Or are we witnessing a reverse racism?

These teachers are riding the wave, wasting education bandwidth on that which has been and will be covered by over a hundredfold in Canada's news media. Perhaps the educators want to seize upon this foreign moment as a hook and gateway to domestic considerations.

Obama has given hope to parents of Black children. No doubt about it! I am glad for that and hope that where an inferiority complex has been prevalent that he inspires young people to forsake gangs for education, decency and the importance of family. But he is not a god. He is but a man who has risen to the top job of his nation. Not mine or my children or my country.

Obama is only one realization of an inspiration that has existed since at least the 1960's civil rights movement in America. And now that I give it some thought, Canada didn't get off the dime until then either. Maybe this is just more of the same.

First, I can't wait for his speech because he's such an excellent orator. Second, I'll simply be happy to see a needed change at the top at the top of the US government. What happens in the United States affects the entire world. We can see that to be true with the current economic turmoil.

I am a person that watches almost every political event in North America, though I watch many more Canadian than American ones.

Edited by Smallc

First, I can't wait for his speech because he's such an excellent orator. Second, I'll simply be happy to see a needed change at the top at the top of the US government. What happens in the United States affects the entire world. We can see that to be true with the current economic turmoil.

Then this reports an assumed political and economic subordination. Is it healthy to compound this circumstance with allegiance to a single man who has yet to serve one day in office?

I am a person that watches almost every political event in North America, though I watch many more Canadian than American ones.

Then you no doubt invested some time in Mexico's new head of state?

Edited by bush_cheney2004

It it healthy to compound this circumstance with allegiance to a single man who has yet to serve one day in office?

I don't know if the change will be a good one or not. I am also a person that gives people the benefit of the doubt. I assume that Obama will do good things for the US. That's not to say that he will.

Then you no doubt invested some time in Mexico's new head of state?

I did in fact pay some attention to that, though Mexico is less on my mind than Canada or the US....or even France or the UK.

I don't know if the change will be a good one or not. I am also a person that gives people the benefit of the doubt. I assume that Obama will do good things for the US. That's not to say that he will.

Each president leaves a mark on the the US....some good...some bad. But heralding Obama as a political Messiah only sets him up for failure.

I did in fact pay some attention to that, though Mexico is less on my mind than Canada or the US....or even France or the UK.

Understood, but my larger point was the impact of President Calderon on a nation in far greater despair. Investing so much in Obama and the US is a distortion.

But heralding Obama as a political Messiah only sets him up for failure.

That's not what I see him as. I see him as an important historical figure. Whether or not he as an individual will be worthy of his historical importance is yet to be seen.

Understood, but my larger point was the impact of President Calderon on a nation in far greater despair.

What happens in Mexico, like in Canada, has much less effect on the collective world (and Canada) that what happens in the US.

Note: Meant to combine the two posts above, but I forgot to address this point the first time.

Edited by Smallc