Group wants to put atheist ads on Toronto transit buses

jdobbin

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/090116/...atheist_bus_ads

A Toronto-based group hopes to raise enough money to put atheist advertisements on city transit buses.

The Freethought Association of Canada wants to buy ads that say: "There is probably no God. Now stop worrying and enjoy your life." The idea is based on a similar campaign that started in Britain.

I wonder if Toronto will support this or back away from it.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Support what? Free eneterprise?

I hope so. Bring 'em on.

I thought there was an issue recently about controversial ads on Toronto transit. Am I thinking about the wrong city?

Wasn't it back about six or so years ago that a jeans ad was rejected because some religious groups were offended?

Edited by jdobbin

*yawn*

If they believe in nothing then there ads should consist of nothing. Atheist should be granted the dellusion of having ads on Toronto transit...we could just lie to them and say that the ads exist and actually they don't. Sell then ad space that consists of nothing but a blank sign - pure white - or maybe pure black. The atheist should be happy with that ....It's not nice to promote relgion within a secularist transit system - After all atheism is a belief system - but they are so arrogant and all knowing that they actually believe their vacant god is superiour - they should not be allowed to push their agenda - but of course it's probably a ruse - to create a situation where even the Salvation Army will have to pull their ads to appease the god detractors...

they should not be allowed to push their agenda - but of course it's probably a ruse - to create a situation where even the Salvation Army will have to pull their ads to appease the god detractors...

Salvation Army had ads on transit that last time I looked.

Salvation Army had ads on transit that last time I looked.

Yah. If the atheists are denied they will probably make it a charter issue and site relgious group as having rights they are denied...actually - they should shut up - why should children be indoctrinated incrimentally by the atheists anyway? I say leave the people alone and let them believe or not believe - Once atheists have total domination in society, will it be better? Of course they will say that religion causes all war - when it's always about money and territory that causes war...atheists love money....why don't they just help out the Mammonists in society and put up big dollar signs every where? At least they would have a symbol...what symbol do atheists have? I'm wondering - maybe they could adopt the gay flag thing - and put a zero in the centre. And they could concentrate their emotional and spiritual energy on the target - on that anal zero.

Yah. If the atheists are denied they will probably make it a charter issue and site relgious group as having rights they are denied...actually - they should shut up - why should children be indoctrinated incrimentally by the atheists anyway?

So you are saying if the Salvation Army can have an ad, the atheists can too?

So you are saying if the Salvation Army can have an ad, the atheists can too?

No - the atheists believe in the great nothing - and are humanists - humanism fails without hope and faith...It's best to maintain religous doctrines than to replace them with some experimental stuff that is not tried and true. Atheist believe in nothing - then they should not believe in trying to improve or re-engineer society - who are they anyway? God? :blink:

I have no problem with religion or non religion advertising. Who cares. Atheists like religion is in the eye of the beholder. Fair is fair!

I say cruxify an atheist and start a religion - you can be Pope....and I get 10 percent of everything. If the atheists are so committed let them go against the state to the point that they are as much of an irritation and problem as Christ was to the Romans. :rolleyes:

As long as there are signs out there that say 'Jesus loves you' and all that crap, which offends my non-religious sensibilities, then atheists have every right to advertise their views. Tit-for-tat.

If religious people would stop pushing their beliefs on others, then maybe non-believers wouldn't feel the need to push back.

Anyway, I am all for freedom of speech and that anything can be said short of promoting hate or violence towards a particular group.

As long as there are signs out there that say 'Jesus loves you' and all that crap, which offends my non-religious sensibilities, then atheists have every right to advertise their views. Tit-for-tat.

If religious people would stop pushing their beliefs on others, then maybe non-believers wouldn't feel the need to push back.

Anyway, I am all for freedom of speech and that anything can be said short of promoting hate or violence towards a particular group.

Ditto what Chuck said!

By the way, this ad campaign is being started as a direct reply to all of those religious ads you can see throughout the buses and subways...

This is from the FAQ section of www.atheistbus.ca

Why is there a Canadian Atheist Bus Campaign?

This campaign was created as a rebuttal to the multitude of religious advertisements on city buses, subways, and roadsides. When taking a ride on the TTC here in Toronto it is not uncommon to sit down and look up only to realize someone has posted an advert of a bible quote. Usually something that tries preaching about a God whom supposedly sent his son to save us, somehow inferring that all of us need to be saved or we’re going to hell. The CABC (Canadian Atheist Bus Campaign) wants to advertise inspiring and thought provoking ads that let transit riders know that it’s OK not to believe in a God and that you do not need to be “saved” because there ultimately is no scientific proof that their God or any god and saviour will actually save anyone.

I was at a Wal-Mart a while back and noticed a young man wearing a black t-shirt with a huge white question mark on the front. At first I thought he might be a proud agnostic, but when I got closer I noticed the fine print on the t-shirt indicated that he was a Wal-Mart employee who would be happy to answer my questions. I asked him if there was a god, and he said he didn't know, so perhaps he was an agnostic after all. He was, however, able to direct me to the electronics department.

-k

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/090116/...atheist_bus_ads

I wonder if Toronto will support this or back away from it.

I have nothing against athiests. But anyone who can get militant about atheism to the point they are prostletizing as though it were a religion is, frankly, nuts.

Do we need to have ads from cranks facing our poor commuters? I bet they'd far rather see pictures of cute butts in jeans.

I say cruxify an atheist and start a religion - you can be Pope....and I get 10 percent of everything. If the atheists are so committed let them go against the state to the point that they are as much of an irritation and problem as Christ was to the Romans. :rolleyes:

Being an atheist is not going "against the state".

I have nothing against athiests. But anyone who can get militant about atheism to the point they are prostletizing as though it were a religion is, frankly, nuts.

Do we need to have ads from cranks facing our poor commuters? I bet they'd far rather see pictures of cute butts in jeans.

I would much rather see 'cute butts in jeans' than 'Jesus loves you' or some other drivel like that as well.