Obama State Visit

It's not that difficult to cover all contingencies. That's been done here and in other Khadr threads. Mind you dobbin, Harper isn't as smart as we are so I hope he and his advisors are paying attention to our learned comments. ;)

Charges were dropped and refiled today. It was all done in secret until today's announcement. Do you think Harper knew about this?

Think it is pretty clear that under McCain or Obama, the prison in Cuba is going to close. Once Khadr is in the U.S., he comes under U.S. judicial jurisdiction. I think we can say with a certain confidence that the age issue will come up. Then, we have to see if the case collapses again.

I have said that Khadr will likely end up back in Canada. I think it is likely going to be sooner rather than later.

I highly doubt the US is going to let Khadr just waltz away scot free. He may be spared the death penalty but he'll most likely get life imprisonment. Canada wants nothing to do with him.

However, until the date is released of Gitmo closing and until the Khadr trial concludes Harper shouldn't be making any comments on another sovereign nations justice system or how they run their country. Certainly not our biggest ally.

Would it have changed the outcome if it had not been done in secret? I doubt it.

The outcome in terms of trial date has changed. If the trial does not proceed before before Obama is sworn in, then it up to Obama if the trial proceeds at all.

Well technically, he's still Bush's lapdog so..........yes.

Yes, that's true. I'm sure Bush told him while scratching Harper's chin after he finished a nice meal of kittens.

I highly doubt the US is going to let Khadr just waltz away scot free. He may be spared the death penalty but he'll most likely get life imprisonment. Canada wants nothing to do with him.

Spared the death penalty? You think they will make a law just for Khadr that re-instates the death penalty?

Has Khadr got off scot-tfree? He has already been in prison for years and he has not been convicted of anything. In fact, the prosecution keeps dropping the charges.

However, until the date is released of Gitmo closing and until the Khadr trial concludes Harper shouldn't be making any comments on another sovereign nations justice system or how they run their country. Certainly not our biggest ally.

When it comes to Canadian citizens, Canada should be speaking out for justice even when we don't like the person charged.

I'm not waiting on anything except to hear what charges might be laid. Canadian citizens can't be held on a security certificate without habeas corpus. Evidence must be presented. That is what all Canadians are guaranteed under law. Now, I am not saying he won't be taken into custody. I am asking what charge.

You obviously don't care what charge but the Supreme Court would.

Even the U.S. is having trouble figuring out what charges to place and whether Khadr's youth would apply if he was convicted. he could be released very shortly and Canada doesn't seem to have a plan for it.

This has been in the works for at least 2 years. Considering that both McCain and Obama's full intent was to close the cuban facility, the prisoners have to go somewhere and logic would dictate that they would be returned to their country of origin (citizenship).

I find all the harsh comments hilarious. Its like they want to complain while keeping their head in the sand.

Many of those held in Cuba were released, back to the UK, Australia etc, where they were free the moment they set foot on their home country.

If the US isn't interested in charging and convicting, what other government would waste the effort?

It's going to be a public opinion battle. Personally I'd rather not have people who shoot our allies running the streets of Canada. If he's willing to fight with the Taliban, he's willing to finance them as well. It's clear where this dude's loyalties lie and it's NOT with Canada.

He has no business here at all.

His lawyer says he is innocent and the guy who DID say he killed the US medic, should be made to take a lie detector test. When the medic was killed Kadar was under a pile of debris. The US military court is illegal under international law, and so is holding a underage prisoner. Today news say the first thing Harper is going to talk about is Alberta and the oil sands. Yes ,the Prime Minister of Alberta will look after his province and let the rest of Canada go under.

It's going to be a public opinion battle. Personally I'd rather not have people who shoot our allies running the streets of Canada. If he's willing to fight with the Taliban, he's willing to finance them as well. It's clear where this dude's loyalties lie and it's NOT with Canada.

I guess we need to see the evidence that he did shoot someone. It would help if it was presented in court.

As far as his loyalties go, I don't know that we know anything other than he was taken where his family decided to go. You seem to think it is clear he supported the Taliban.

He has no business here at all.

What other Canadian citizens do you believe should be denied entry?

If there are charges in Canada for Khadr, present them to the U.S. and ask he be deported to face them. If the U.S. has evidence of a crime, try and convict Khadr. Habeas corpus is an ancient tradition but it has meaning. It is important to who we are and how we are as a people.

If you want to support suspension of the laws then say so.

I happen to believe in the law.