Canadian Political Polls

When talking about those bases of support... for the secondary parties, they rely on relative satisfaction with the status quo. (Counterintuitive as that may seem.)

When people don't have their tails in a knot, or see an intense necessity for change, then they have the luxury of fracturing vote, and giving the nod to secondary parties and independents. When they are very upset or see large risks, then they coalesce around the idea of making a national difference, and vote strategically for one of the two primaries.

I think that is a true statement.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When talking about those bases of support... for the secondary parties, they rely on relative satisfaction with the status quo. (Counterintuitive as that may seem.)

When people don't have their tails in a knot, or see an intense necessity for change, then they have the luxury of fracturing vote, and giving the nod to secondary parties and independents. When they are very upset or see large risks, then they coalesce around the idea of making a national difference, and vote strategically for one of the two primaries.

Give me an example of how this is true. Those bases are pretty committed to their MP's or their parties regardless of what is going on.

Another poll out today. Liberals on their way down the CPC on their way up even after the G8 and the whole waffer thing.

This new poll was conducted before the G8 Summit:

Another poll released on the same day suggests 48 per cent of Canadians support the use of Canadian troops "for security and combat efforts against the Taliban and al-Qaeda in Afghanistan."

The Ipsos Reid poll, commissioned for Canwest News and Global Television, also suggested 52 per cent of those polled want the combat mission to end in 2011.

That survey of 1,001 people was conducted between June 29 and July 6, 2009, and has a margin of error of plus or minus 3.1 percentage points, 19 times out of 20.

Edited by benny

This new poll was conducted before the G8 Summit.

Did you read the poll it was conducted July 8th-14th so that is not true at all. Apparently the Liberals were hopping it hurt Harper it just didn't though if you look at the tracking it helped him from the start of the G8 to the end.

Edited by punked

Did you read the poll it was conducted July 8th-14th so that is not true at all. Apparently the Liberals were hopping it hurt Harper it just didn't though if you look at the tracking it helped him from the start of the G8 to the end.

There are two new polls on Afghanistan.

No way they will get a lift during their convention for sure if they get in the news with a name change. Problem is the news freezes them out and so they sink.

And if they don't, I'm sure you'll blame the media.

Is he not already blaming them!?

I am saying being in the media helps a party. However in the end who cares the NDP is at least the conscience of Canada wanted EI reform before it was a "Liberal issue" and after the Liberals throw it out becuase it is not popular enough for them. They think those who are beaten down, don't need to stay their. There is something truly Canadian about them poll numbers come and do. From 8 seats in 58, and the 9 seats in 93 to the 43 seats in 88, and 37 seats in 2008. We have had our highs and lows and we aren't going anywhere.

It hurts Liberals like Dobbin that people vote for the NDP becuase they see the Liberals aren't the progressive party they claim to be. Whenever the Liberals win it just makes the NDP vote stronger when people see what they get. Guess what Dobbin we aren't going away.

You seem to care a lot about all media polls though!

That is becuase I have a degree in statistics. Also becuase polls shape Liberal policy. I love to see the polls and watch the Liberals try to sell themselves as the whatever the NEW issue the polls say. In the end we all know the only poll that counts is election day. At least for most parties.

I am saying being in the media helps a party. However in the end who cares the NDP is at least the conscience of Canada wanted EI reform before it was a "Liberal issue" and after the Liberals throw it out becuase it is not popular enough for them. They think those who are beaten down, don't need to stay their. There is something truly Canadian about them poll numbers come and do. From 8 seats in 58, and the 9 seats in 93 to the 43 seats in 88, and 37 seats in 2008. We have had our highs and lows and we aren't going anywhere.

It hurts Liberals like Dobbin that people vote for the NDP becuase they see the Liberals aren't the progressive party they claim to be. Whenever the Liberals win it just makes the NDP vote stronger when people see what they get. Guess what Dobbin we aren't going away.

Sure you love division (Liberals vs NPD) but you don't love it enough to make a difference in Canadian politics.

That means that the Conservatives stay in power. You divide and they rule you.

So? The Conservatives in Power the Liberals in power. I don't really see a difference. See this is the old Liberal arguement "you shouldn't vote your conscience becuase if you do the Boogie man might rule the country."

I don't like the Liberals in power as much as I don't like the Conservatives in power. They have same basic policies ask yourself why the Liberals sided with the Conservatives 79 straight votes of confidence. Or caved on EI. They both represent the special interests, their is very little different about them.

Edited by punked