Tory MP Rod Brinooge abortion bill

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just heard on the radio this morning that Tory MP Rod Brinooge wants to bring in a bill banning abortion. This should play well during a possible election campaign. Watch for the Tories to be sent back to the pasture in a major way.

Lots of people in both major parties want to ban abortion.

Not in the NDP, of course. You're not allowed to have different opinions in the NDP.

Lots of people in both major parties want to ban abortion.

Not in the NDP, of course. You're not allowed to have different opinions in the NDP.

At least voters know the position of the NDP on abortion. The conservatives are too scared to face the voters with their true opinion on a woman's right to choose. This position will hurt the Cons chances at getting women's votes even more than their attempt to remove pay equity for women in their financial? update. Or do you think all the women will do their Christian duty and vote how their husbands tell them to?

I just heard on the radio this morning that Tory MP Rod Brinooge wants to bring in a bill banning abortion. This should play well during a possible election campaign. Watch for the Tories to be sent back to the pasture in a major way.

I guess you should listen a little more carefully. It was in the paper this morning. It wasn't about bringing forward a bill. Mr. Brinooge is conducting private, behind-the-scenes all-party discussions to get some sort of dialogue underway. With deep divisions in the country as to precisely what position Canada should have on abortion, it should come as no surprise that people in all parties have opinions that straddle both sides of the debate.....yet we all know that discussion of fetal rights and abortion is politically off-limits. Mr. Brinooge is simply trying to spark some dialogue between all parties. Of course, it won't go anywhere and the Conservative Party as a whole and Harper specifically will not let such a bill come forward. This initiative will likely die a quick death.....and it's a shame to think that the issue has become so polarized as to dismiss any discussion at all.

Edited by Keepitsimple

Mr. Brinooge is simply trying to spark some dialogue between all parties. Of course, it won't go anywhere and the Conservative Party as a whole and Harper specifically will not let such a bill come forward.

I don't think Brinooge is looking for dialogue on the issue. He is strongly anti-abortion in all cases the last I heard.

Harper has never indicated that he would kill a private member's bill such as this. He has only said it would not come from his government.

I don't think Brinooge is looking for dialogue on the issue. He is strongly anti-abortion in all cases the last I heard.

Harper has never indicated that he would kill a private member's bill such as this. He has only said it would not come from his government.

Oh come on, Harper, particularly during these uncertain political times, is never going to let this kind of Private Members Bill on the order paper. It's easy to kill such bills, you simply select someone else's bill. There need be no explanation, and there won't be. The House of Commons will not on any such bill, it won't even see any such bill.

Allow a free vote in the HoC on the issue. Many BQ MP's are RC same to Liberals and many are anti abortion. I'd like to see how everyone would vote.

For the record I don't want to see it banned just restricted to incest, rape or danger to the mother cases.

This abortion on demand as a contraceptive is just plain stupid.

Edited by Mr.Canada

Or do you think all the women will do their Christian duty and vote how their husbands tell them to?

You have no clue how it's supposed to work obviously. A Christian marriage is not so simplistic. A husband and wife are one. A wife has her own feelings and opinions. In a discussion she brings them to the husband and they talk it over until they come to a full agreement on how to carry forward. Then the husband acts as the messenger of their decision and becomes the "public face" if you will, of that decision. The chauvinism that you describe is wrong, it's disgusting, it's a Sin.

Back to the topic, I support the end of women murdering their children.

You have no clue how it's supposed to work obviously. A Christian marriage is not so simplistic. A husband and wife are one. A wife has her own feelings and opinions. In a discussion she brings them to the husband and they talk it over until they come to a full agreement on how to carry forward. Then the husband acts as the messenger of their decision and becomes the "public face" if you will, of that decision. The chauvinism that you describe is wrong, it's disgusting, it's a Sin.

Back to the topic, I support the end of women murdering their children.

Well said sir. Welcome to MLW.

In the Bible, women are chattel. Maybe you have some alternate interpretation, as most Christian churches (save the Southern Baptists) have come to accept, simply because they'd see half their membership walk out the door, but let's not pretend that, Biblically, women were anything but property.

In the Bible, women are chattel. Maybe you have some alternate interpretation, as most Christian churches (save the Southern Baptists) have come to accept, simply because they'd see half their membership walk out the door, but let's not pretend that, Biblically, women were anything but property.

Perhaps in Protestant Churches this is the case. In the RCC women are equal marriage partners and revered.

You've got that right. That coalition has been around for a while, it includes some Liberals, whoda thunk it, actually it is an 'all party caucus' it's so secret everyone knows about it. LoL I believe Paul Steckle is the co-chair of this committee.

They won't get anywhere, but they might get some restrictions on late term which isn't a bad thing, what is it in Britain - 24 weeks ?

Anti-choice folks need to get off of their high horses and look at the issue realistically.

Face it, you folks do not care about children. You do not care if they live or die. The only issue is controlling what women do with their bodies. Once the child is born, you provide nothing. Once the child is born you don't care if it only ever eats macaroni, you don't care if it gets an education, you don't care if it has a warm home... you just don't care about anything other than holding power over others.

IF, (big if) you did care about the actual child you would be FOR raising welfare rates so that no child ever has to live in poverty. You would open your doors to unwanted children -- foster them or adopt them no matter what issue they have.

Who will be the first on MLW to stand up and take in FAS or drug addicted kids?

Anyone?

Helloooo?

Where are you those of you who are so eager to see every pregancy result in a child? Put your money, you love and your support where your mouth is and give that, instead of giving us the tired old "Abortion should be illegal" crap.

Anti-choice folks need to get off of their high horses and look at the issue realistically.

Face it, you folks do not care about children. You do not care if they live or die. The only issue is controlling what women do with their bodies. Once the child is born, you provide nothing. Once the child is born you don't care if it only ever eats macaroni, you don't care if it gets an education, you don't care if it has a warm home... you just don't care about anything other than holding power over others.

IF, (big if) you did care about the actual child you would be FOR raising welfare rates so that no child ever has to live in poverty. You would open your doors to unwanted children -- foster them or adopt them no matter what issue they have.

Who will be the first on MLW to stand up and take in FAS or drug addicted kids?

Anyone?

Helloooo?

Where are you those of you who are so eager to see every pregancy result in a child? Put your money, you love and your support where your mouth is and give that, instead of giving us the tired old "Abortion should be illegal" crap.

Illegal abortion? No. Abortion only for incest, rape and Mother danger? Yes.

I was hoping you'd come for this one Drea. Abortion should not be defacto contraception, this is wrong and costly to society. More responsibility needs to be put on the man and woman to act responsibly before a pregnancy happens. Traditional family values needs to regain a place in today's secular society. The secular ideal pushed by progressives has come to bite us in the backside. Is no sex until marriage really that hard? With a return to this there would be no need to raise welfare rates.

No child to live in poverty is impossible and yo know it, it's just a talking point Drea, come off it. As much as you reel against the family unit it would cut down on the need for increased welfare and largely abortion as a whole.

If the left can push for and get gay rights, marriage and abortion why can it not push and get a return to traditional family values?

Edited by Mr.Canada

Illegal abortion? No. Abortion only for incest, rape and Mother danger? Yes.

I was hoping you'd come for this one Drea. Abortion should not be defacto contraception, this is wrong and costly to society. More responsibility needs to be put on the man and woman to act responsibly before a pregnancy happens. Traditional family values needs to regain a place in today's secular society. The secular ideal pushed by progressives has come to bite us in the backside. Is no sex until marriage really that hard? With a return to this there would be no need to raise welfare rates.

No child to live in poverty is impossible and yo know it, it's just a talking point Drea, come off it. As much as you reel against the family unit it would cut down on the need for increased welfare and largely abortion as a whole.

If the left can push for and get gay rights, marriage and abortion why can it not push and get a return to traditional family values?

whose family values Mr Canada? yours? In a free country we do not have to accept your faith-based values as our own. You are free to believe abortion is wrong and I fully respect your decision not to personally go and have an abortion if you accidentally get pregnant.

I promise not to pass any law saying you must choose to have an abortion because I have faith that the world would be genetically better without your offspring.

whose family values Mr Canada? yours? In a free country we do not have to accept your faith-based values as our own. You are free to believe abortion is wrong and I fully respect your decision not to personally go and have an abortion if you accidentally get pregnant.

I promise not to pass any law saying you must choose to have an abortion because I have faith that the world would be genetically better without your offspring.

Yeah me and my wife both working and paying taxes, taking responsibility for our own children(we have two) and not expecting the state to provide for us is just crazy. What was I thinking?

Explain to me how no sex until marriage and a family unit that is self sufficient in raising its own children is bad?