The Real "harper Wins" Post

Conservatives across Canada, from every province, now have a common voice to battle the corruption that is the Liberal Party. They now have a voice to fight for that majority of Canadians that know what is fair and just, and do not want or need to beggar their neighbour to get ahead.

The kind of people that will oppose Stephen Harper and the Conservative Party are the ones who feel that it is the guaranteed right of one Canadian to live off the efforts of another. To these people, panhandling is not just a street activity, it is political philosophy.

Sorry to all liberals here, but the pendulum is swinging back to common sense. Don't let it hit you on the way out...

I will suggest that old Liberals are welcome into the Conservative folds, but be ready to change the way things are done.

Things will be different:

We will decentralize the power base in Ottawa.

We will have parliament vote on though decisions.

We will have elected senators.

We will have commons appointed judges.

We will have a truly independent ethics commissionaire.

This government will lead and make positive changes in Canada.

We will give power (funding) back to the provinces to manage health and education.

We will address the shortage of resources for our military.

We will deal with industry and environmentalist when we work to limit the effects of climate change.

We will stay out of your lifestyle decisions.

We will lock up criminals and leave them in jail for the term of their conviction.

We will ensure those who need help will get help and we will have the resources to do it.

This is the emerging Conservative Party and all are welcome to come along for an exciting ride where a great country can be made better.

Hey Daniel,

We got rid of the red in Tory for a reason. My memory isn't short. I like where the party says it is going and it needs grass roots supports to hold them to account.

In the Conservative Party where you have to win a nomination meeting this can happen.

I'm going to have to back Michael here. Aside from the fact that I think Harper is not PM material this party has a long way to go before they'll ever form a government.

The Canadian public will have to see them in action behind the "new" leader.

They'll have to prove they're not just the Alliance under another name yet at the same time not abandon their core support.

Some of the poster's here seem to think we're in store for a revolution. Let me remind you the new party is a party of politicians so you'd better check your idealism at the door.

I don't believe the new party will form the next government and may possibly be in worse shape after the next election.

At best they may get a minority in which any changes they attempt to make will be difficult in deed.

I'd like to see a change to a more conservative government for a while in Canada but there is very little in this party which inspires me.

We'll see how Harper performs over the next few months. I doubt it'll be much different from his previous performance as Alliance leader( which many would argue is the exact same position he holds now).

"Some of the poster's here seem to think we're in store for a revolution. Let me remind you the new party is a party of politicians so you'd better check your idealism at the door."

There is a place for idealism in politics. We need a vision of something better. We need to state our values and our plans. This should bring hope for a better future.

Anything less would be pointless.

I will be realistic with my expectations but not the direction.

Promises of the future.... promises of the past...

Nostaligia time !

Does anybody remember 'The Red Book' ? What a great fad that was ! How about Preston Manning moving into Stornaway ! Reform MP refusing pensions ? Abolishing the GST ?

Michael "Blast from the Past" Hardner

And not to mention, those Reformers/Canadian Alliancers and Conservatives all voted in favour of MPs pay hike.

I wonder how the "new" Conservative party can keep up any promises to voters when they couldn't even honour contracts they made between themselves?

And lastly, guess which party owns the first Canadian political scandal?

For reasons I’ve highlighted elsewhere I’m not an Alliance supporter. As it stands now that’s pretty much what we’re saddled with in the new conservative party. They’ll have to prove they’re otherwise and I don’t believe they are up to it.

As for the high expectations – that’s the best way to be disappointed in politics.

I don’t see anything in this new party which suggests they’ll form the next government. Anyone who believes corruption and scandal is going to be swept away and sanctity and purity reign surpreme is living a pipe dream.

Moderate Centrist,

Why do you bother?

"Anyone who believes corruption and scandal is going to be swept away and sanctity and purity reign supreme is living a pipe dream."

It is not about sanctity and purity after all we are all people; it is about holding people accountable who become corrupt. And there is a difference between the Liberals and the Conservatives. The Conservatives believe in something. Others in the media have argued they should move more to the center. This only makes them Liberals and that is the root of the problem here. The NDP also believe in something and I just happen to think what they want won’t work. I do appreciate their idealism.

Some of us don't want the New Conservative Party to forget its roots. The populism of the reform movement is a real change. This is the big difference form the old PCs.

"The Conservatives believe in something. "
Willy

Any party can "believe" in something when they're in opposition. The farther away they are from forming a government the more they can "believe" in.

Any tie to the old reform movement is exactly what will keep the "new" conservative party out of power. They really have very little to do with the kind of conservative party most Canadians are familiar with.

"What kind of people can support a party born from a fundamental breech of contract? "
Daniel

Well put. If the new conservative party wants to show some principle perhaps they should turf McKay, a proven lier and double dealer.

The very political system we have constrains massive change. We shouldn't get too excited and kid ourselves into believing a savior is on the rise.

The reform party went as far as it would ever go under Preston Manning in terms of forming a government. Since his departure they've been concerned largely with name changes and trying to convince the Canadian public they care about more than Alberta.

"Any party can "believe" in something when they're in opposition. The farther away they are from forming a government the more they can "believe" in."

* Harris changed Ontario.

* Kline changed Alberta.

* Campbell is changing BC.

* Mulroney made many people very angry when he changed things.

* Romano changed Saskatchewan.

* Trudeau changed things.

You might not like the result but you can't say they didn't believe in something.

Chrétien and by legacy Martin don't have a vision. They don't believe in something. Where was/is the leadership?

Chrétien’s legacy is that he said no to Iraq and left Martin with a mess.

Time for a change?

* Harris changed Ontario.

* Kline changed Alberta.

* Campbell is changing BC.

* Mulroney made many people very angry when he changed things.

* Romano changed Saskatchewan.

* Trudeau changed things.

That list is hardly inspiring one to vote Reformatory. If that rouge's gallery above are embodiments of the kind of changes the new Cons will bring, I think I may just have to vote Liberal. :unsure:

You can only get better or worse. Things don't stay the same.

In the Liberal watch,

Our military is falling apart,

We are paying more taxes for less service,

Healthcare may only have a few years left,

Our dollar has encouraged foreign ownership,

Quebec is still voting for the Bloc.

How is no leadership a good thing?

Daniel,

Harris was backing Stronach for the leadership and has no offical position with the federal party.

The only federal party to have an offical attachment to the provincal government counter part is the NDP.

I will agree many Ontario PCs are supporting the new Consevative Party. They are not likely to line up behind the Liberals or the NDP. I would note that Liberals in BC also in large numbers support the new Conservative Party. This does not have to be about history but where we would like to go.

Party memberships are $10, you to could be a member.

Harper as Prime Minister?

And I quote (from way back):

"This is no time for on the job training."

heh, i know what you mean. Haper? no. Not me. I am Conservative, but Harper? Not, i'm sorry. I truly think, 99.9% that the conservatives would have been in better off in the hands of Mr. Mackay.

But what do i really think? What do we all think? It is time for a new face, and we all know that this would be VERY different if someone like Mike Harris or Bernard Lord took the job (as they are my two favorite people who should of run.) It is them who would lead this party to victory, but Harper. It's time for a new face.