Gay marriage vs Gay Rights

Mr.Canada

Why is the emphasis on sexual preference or behaviours? Technically, it's about gender.

Homosexuality is a sexual preference or behavioural thing.. It isn't technically a gender thing because anybody from either gender could be straight or homosexual. By the way, how was that post in reply to my post to Mr.Canada?

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Homosexuality is a sexual preference or behavioural thing.. It isn't technically a gender thing because anybody from either gender could be straight or homosexual. By the way, how was that post in reply to my post to Mr.Canada?

Yes it is with respect to marriage......has nothing to do with sexual habits be it with other humans, plant, or animal.

Ah, yeah.. Perhaps.. But the act of having sexual relations with another man or woman scares the religious people away as well

But that's the crux of the problem....if people would stop focusing on sexual activity, it becomes a much easier proposition. Hell, many married "heteros" don't even have sex, and some of those that do would also scare the hell out of "religious people". Maybe they don't get the Spice Channel.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

But that's the crux of the problem....if people would stop focusing on sexual activity, it becomes a much easier proposition. Hell, many married "heteros" don't even have sex, and some of those that do would also scare the hell out of "religious people". Maybe they don't get the Spice Channel.

Maybe, but the idea of a man marrying another man isn't so pretty for them either. In the bible, god planned out marriages so that they would be for husbands and wives..

Maybe, but the idea of a man marrying another man isn't so pretty for them either. In the bible, god planned out marriages so that they would be for husbands and wives..

Gay marriage isn't a real marriage in the eyes of God, that's all matters. God's Laws supercede those of man. See you on Judgment Day!

You cannot discriminate on the basis of "race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, sex, age, or mental or physical disability." "subject only to such reasonable limits prescribed by law as can be demonstrably justified in a free and democratic society."

....Subject only to such reasonable limits prescribed by law...

One cannot justify or reasonably limit gays and lesbians from marrying.

It depends. Before 1988 they did. Left to the whim of those making the laws it could change again.

However, in the case of the others you cited, we can reasonably limit the extent of the application of the Charter since those other circumstances would make it difficult to obtain confirmed consent to marry. In the case of "close familial relations" it is possible to marry a cousin or close relative as long as the parties have made an informed consent.....

So I guess polygamy still has a chance.

....Subject only to such reasonable limits prescribed by law...

It depends. Before 1988 they did. Left to the whim of those making the laws it could change again.

So I guess polygamy still has a chance.

Nope. After 1988 the Constitutional challenges began. There is no reasonable limits that can be placed on gay marriage.

Polygamy could have a chance if someone can make the argument. There are lots of cultures who enjoy polygamy and personally as long as the people involved are consenting of their own free will, I see nothing wrong with it.

Just as I suspected...it is illegal to marry my one-eyed sister in Saskatoon:

Marriage (Prohibited Degrees) Act

No prohibition

2. (1) Subject to subsection (2), persons related by consanguinity, affinity or adoption are not prohibited from marrying each other by reason only of their relationship.

Prohibition

(2) No person shall marry another person if they are related lineally, or as brother or sister or half-brother or half-sister, including by adoption.

1990, c. 46, s. 2; 2005, c. 33, s. 13.

http://www.canlii.org/ca/sta/m-2.1/sec2.html

That would be the "prescribed by law" part.

Slavery used to be law too so I'm sure it was a dead issue as well when people started rallying against it yet we no longer have slavery do we.

The pendulum is swinging to the left atm but it will come back to the right very very soon.

Interesting choice of comparison... After all, the institution of slavery and its defense where, like homophobia, rooted in the notion that some people are less human than others.

Edited by CANADIEN

With the arrest of the two guys from Bountiful, BC I believe we are about to see a successful Charter challenge on the issue of polygamy. At least since a Mormon polygamist marriage isn't sanctioned legally in the first place, it is unlikely that the Crown will succeed in proving that the guy and his 19 wives are actually married. Secondly, there is nothing in law that states that consenting adults cannot cohabitate and enjoy each other sexually from time to time.

I do agree that the Crown does need to protect the children from preditors that would scoop them up for marriage in the sect, but have no problem once they are consenting adults to choose their own lifestyle.

"The state does not belong in the bedrooms of the nation." Pierre Elliott Trudeau

Interesting choice of comparison... After all, the institution of slavery and its defense where, like homophobia, rooted in the notion that some people are less human than others.

Actually, the people who defended slavery were much more like you and your defense of homosexuality; that this was an "innate" statues, that could not and should not be changed. Most slaves incidently turned to Christianity during this difficult time, and it was a network of Christian activists that worked to free slaves from their bondage; an institution that was born of secular Capitalistic motives and justified to a large extent through notions derived from the pre-Christian polytheistic ancient world.

Actually, the people who defended slavery were much more like you and your defense of homosexuality; that this was an "innate" statues, that could not and should not be changed. Most slaves incidently turned to Christianity during this difficult time, and it was a network of Christian activists that worked to free slaves from their bondage; an institution that was born of secular Capitalistic motives and justified to a large extent through notions derived from the pre-Christian polytheistic ancient world.

Nice try... entertaining though.

There is no doubt that they were people of the Christian faith who fought the fight against slavery... and others who fought to protect it, or imposed slavery's bastard children, segregation and aparthead.

That slaves of Christians converted (some by force) does not hide the fact that some Christians defended slavery abd used the Bible in defending it..

BTW, nowehere did I claim that homosexuality is "innate", or, for that matter, that it is not. How someone becomes homosexual is irrelevant; they are called, not to to adopt heterosexual behaviours they feel are not theirs, or to live a llife of self-loathing and shame, but to avoid homosexual acts as they are sinful. There is a fundamental difference there, one that too many fail to see.

What is "innate" in homosexuals is that they are human beings, and that they have therefore the same value and same rights as other human beings. Opposition to those rights is not unlike support for slavery; both are borne of world views in which some humans have more rights than others.

• 7 months later...

Sorry to bump this thread ladies and gentlemen but I felt it important to respond to the confused OP

I'm of the opinion that gays shouldn't be allowed to married as a right. Marriage isn't a right, it's a traditional social institution. 1 woman and 1 man. It's a choice a woman and man make to join together in matrimony.

I live on planet Earth, it's the 3rd planet from the sun and has approximately 6.7 Billion human beings living on it....it's also estimated to being 4.5 Billion years old...

Now I'm not sure if this history you've gathered is from the same planet I live on but unfortunately your idea of marriage and it's supposed origins is quite hysterical. It's a institution in which only 1 man and 1 woman CHOOSE to belong to eachother? hahahaha

I don't mean to sound rude but pick up a book in history and read the customs, go back to the Mesopotamian era and read about the oldest history of marriage laws we have. Here's some FYI; not only did it NOT originate in religion, it was not an institution linked exclusively to one man and one woman.

Shocker, I know!