Christmas

JerrySeinfeld

Is everyone here on board with saying "merry christmas"?

It seems some people, organizations and companies are switching to "happy holidays"

This is ludicrous in my opinion. I have no problem with "happy ramadan" or "happy hanecah" (spelling?).

The fact that some people are offended by the word "christmas" is just further evidence of the intolerance prevalent in other religions - isn't it?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think its just because many other cultures have their own celebrations around the same time as christmas. On the other hand some people I know who are muslim or hindu or jew do acknowedge that it is christmas for us and are thoughtful enough to wish others "Merry Christmas". I try to do likewise, by learning when their major holidays are.

I think its just because many other cultures have their own celebrations around the same time as christmas. On the other hand some people I know who are muslim or hindu or jew do acknowedge that it is christmas for us and are thoughtful enough to wish others "Merry Christmas". I try to do likewise, by learning when their major holidays are.

I try to do the same. But people who somehow try to pressure others to eliminate the word "christmas" from the vernacular during the...well....CHRISTMAS... season need to be ignored.

Interestingly, multiculturalism is a rather "uni" cultural phenom. It only exists in the west.

You can't go to saudi arabia and be "multicultural".

Try going to Iran and telling them they can't use the word "ramadan." :lol:

Perhaps you can explain what Christmas really is?

It isn't Jesus' birthday since according to Biblical scholars, Jesus was born in June.

Christmas trees come from pagan beliefs.

So what is it exactly....except perhaps a season of lying to kids, pathetically stroking one's own ego by showering poor people with unwanted junk and an over abundance of crappy food (while ignoring their needs the rest of the year) and an excuse for people to go out and get drunk, puke on white carpets and then claim they are really enjoying the season.....?

Edited by charter.rights

Perhaps you can explain what Christmas really is?

It isn't Jesus' birthday since according to Biblical scholars, Jesus was born in June.

Christmas trees come from pagan beliefs.

So what is it exactly....except perhaps a season of lying to kids, pathetically stroking one's own ego by showering poor people with unwanted junk and an over abundance of crappy food (while ignoring their needs the rest of the year) and an excuse for people to go out and get drunk, puke on white carpets and then claim they are really enjoying the season.....?

This isn't a debate about what it is. It's a discussion about people telling other people how to talk.

Jerry, it's Christmas in Quebec.

UPDATE: The Holiday tree is back to being a Christmas tree. After media jumped on the story, Mr. Charest's office issued a news release late Wednesday containing repeated references to the Christmas tree he had just lit up. A choir was even on hand to sing "Christmas carols." Joy to the world.
Link

How strange that you would choose this method for celebrating Christmas. Quite unique I would say.

I have no problem wishing people a Merry Christmas, Ramadan or whatever else, even though I have no religious beliefs, why rain on someone elses parade just because...well actually I have no idea why anyone would wish to do so. Unless they're just a bitter twisted person full of hate for any who are different from themselves.

By your definition any time you tell a child a story or let them watch a kids movie you are lying to them. Odd way to see fostering a sense of wonder and imagination in a child but to each their own I guess. Junk? Perhaps you like to give people "junk" but I prefer to put a lot of time and thought into the gifts I give and with a few subtle questions its easy enough to choose a practical gift that the person will enjoy. One persons junk is anothers treasure.

Crappy food, hell I almost feel bad for you, almost. The food I serve at Christmas is always good, I love to cook and at Christmas I love to lay out a veritable feast, of good food. As I personally do not eat deserts, cookies or candies they tend to be in short supply around my place unless someone else brings them. Turkey is amongst the leanest and healthiest of meats availlable, hardly junk. The same goes for sweet potatoes, turnip, potatoes, etc etc. You should try it sometime instead of the crappy food you refer to.

Those are the material aspects of the season, however it extends much farther than that. The community, social and personal aspects are also a great thing. Strangers wishing each other well is something worth having in our society, ideally such an attitude year round would be great. Still its better to have it for a short period of time each year than not at all.

Families interacting in a loving way as they participate in decorating and preparing for the season is also pretty hard to knock. Poor people getting a break once a year instead of not at all, what a god dammned crime. Lets put a stop to that and let them rot in misery year round instead.

I enjoy Christmas, the feeling of good will and warmth, the genuine expressions of well being toward others that prevails during this time of year. The excited children and happy couples who connect with each other on a basis of emotional happiness and well being.

I also feel sorry for those who just don't get it. Those who misguidedly believe its about religion, who fail to see the human component inherent in it. Those who hate and despise so much that they are blind to the good.

I feel sorry for you.

Jerry, it's Christmas in Quebec.

Link

That's awesome. I have noticed this about Quebec - they are much more strong about their culture and want to protect it. There was another thing too a few months back - I think something about women and burqas or something.

Anyway, good for Quebec. At least one province has the cultural confidence to stand up for itself.

We could all learn something from them.

Is everyone here on board with saying "merry christmas"?

It seems some people, organizations and companies are switching to "happy holidays"

This is ludicrous in my opinion. I have no problem with "happy ramadan" or "happy hanecah" (spelling?).

The fact that some people are offended by the word "christmas" is just further evidence of the intolerance prevalent in other religions - isn't it?

I'm fine with happy holidays.

How strange that you would choose this method for celebrating Christmas. Quite unique I would say....

....I also feel sorry for those who just don't get it. Those who misguidedly believe its about religion, who fail to see the human component inherent in it. Those who hate and despise so much that they are blind to the good.

I feel sorry for you.

Actually Angus it is you that doesn't seem to "get it".

If you examine the pre-Christmas rituals that people go through (as I have) you will see disappointment, disillusion, depression, frustration, obligation, expectation, exasperation and a whole list of other negative emotions coming into play. Giving gifts with that much anger and negativity is actually a curse on people. Then on top of that we tell the kids lies about a fictitious character. Of course this is much different then telling stories and fairy tales because, well, the kids know they are not real and they learn very quickly not to take what is written in a book too seriously (as if kids were serious anyway). Yet their parents, caregivers and extended family members - the very people children should be able to trust - hit them with a lie about some fat guy bringing toys and candy. Is it any wonder that kids go off with strangers offering goodies and then get molested or worse?

The in order to ease the guilt that sloth, covetousness, gluttony and greed brings at this time of year you shower junk toys and junk food on the less fortunate so that "their day" can somehow even come close to "your day". The rest of the year most people are deriding those who have little blaming them for their lot in life as if your Christmas charity authorizes you to act with a sense of superiority.

Ah but then once the toys are unwrapped and the new and improved appliances replace the old ones, last years gifts become landfill or they are tossed at some charity organization that will make a few bucks of their resale.

So the point is that Christmas is overblown and a delusion. People have bought the conditioning that giant toy corporations, manufacturers and retailers have subliminally conned you into believing. Charity is not real and empathy is false.

What IS real is getting together with other people and sharing some of their time. Yet what happens the rest of the year? How often do we take time out of our busy lives to get people together off season to celebrate our humanity?

Poverty has nothing to do with neediness. It has to do with an attitude that enslaves people to hopelessness and despair. It has to do with the loss of friendship and camaraderie, and the disinterest in another's social, and spiritual welfare. REAL poverty is about those who celebrate Christmas as a pathological consumer, eating up and sucking back and then throwing scraps at others to make up for their failure as human beings and adding insult to injury by puking red wine on their white carpets in an over zealous excuse for "having fun".

If you really want to understand what Christmas is all about, try fasting for 24 hours while those around you feed their faces with turkey and trimmings. Then you might "get it". Reality sucks doesn't it.

It's a legitimate discussion. Now everyone who invites debate is a troll? Stiffen up, wuss.

Wuss? Hey, it isnt me that has sand in the mangina.

You wrote, in an effort to troll....

Whatever happened to allowing people, organizations and companies to say whatever it is they want to say?

Should it ever be mandated , and it never will, that one say Merry Christmas, you will have a point. But it hasnt and it wont.

Companies and organizations want to cover the market, and by being generic, not to mention the fact that there are at least 2 holidays close together (thus Happy Holidays) they accomplish this .

Why do you attack free market enterprise?

I am fine with just saying "Happy Holidays"..

But I would be fine with "Merry Christmas" as well.

If you truly wish somebody a Merry Christmas, good ahead.

If you see your Jewish friend, say Happy Hanukkah

It will be the best Christmas ever. With the money and material thing put in perspective...the spirit of love and hope will settle on the land...and as for our Jewish friends - thanks for that real smart rabboni Jesus - for with out your wonderful traditions he would never have existed. Happy Hanukkah...and to our atheists..thanks for believing in the great nothing - you are very encourageing and good - odd how atheists in their core are more Christian in their hearts than most Christians..

Grace and goodwill to all*

It will be the best Christmas ever. With the money and material thing put in perspective...the spirit of love and hope will settle on the land...and as for our Jewish friends - thanks for that real smart rabboni Jesus - for with out your wonderful traditions he would never have existed. Happy Hanukkah...and to our atheists..thanks for believing in the great nothing - you are very encourageing and good - odd how atheists in their core are more Christian in their hearts than most Christians..

Grace and goodwill to all*

Well said.