Federal Tories courting Dumont

jdobbin

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/081209/...xn_que_dumont_4

Just one day after Mario Dumont announced his plan to quit Quebec politics, federal Conservatives were giddily envisioning the prospect of luring the one-time right-wing wonderkid to Ottawa.

We'll see if he rebuffs the Tories as he has in the past.

He is a brilliant man who will add 10 seats in Quebec almost instantly. The Tories just have too many superstars, the Liberals have Rae and Ignatieff. Our team star list is much deeper.

Dumont will give us much more depth, yet again. Harper has shown his brilliance and his ability to bring people together again, imo anyhow.

He is a brilliant man who will add 10 seats in Quebec almost instantly. The Tories just have too many superstars, the Liberals have Rae and Ignatieff. Our team star list is much deeper.

Dumont will give us much more depth, yet again. Harper has shown his brilliance and his ability to bring people together again, imo anyhow.

Cause he won so many this election in the provincial election. Not to mention I am hearing Harpers big push against the block helped sink the federalist vote. No one is adding seats in Quebec for the Cons. It is the Firewall to a majority and everyone seems to know it but Harper who has done nothing but trash their politicians, and ideals.

Cause he won so many this election in the provincial election. Not to mention I am hearing Harpers big push against the block helped sink the federalist vote. No one is adding seats in Quebec for the Cons. It is the Firewall to a majority and everyone seems to know it but Harper who has done nothing but trash their politicians, and ideals.

Harper has gained popular support in Quebec and is at 32%.

Yet the QLP went from minority to a majority....

They were leading in the polls right before Harper started all this shit by 15% of the vote then only won by 7% that is a huge swing. They were sitting on a huge majority a projected 75-79 seats and yet only won 66. How do you see that as a crushing win that is limping across the finish, and almost everyone agrees it was becuase of Harper.

The Tories will gain 15-20 seats in the next election. I think he'll break 200 however. He is at 44-46%. That is massive majority territory.

The last poll done about 4 days ago against Iggy puts Harper at 37% and Iggy at 33%. So I think you are dreaming. Quebec is the firewall and Harper isn't gaining anything.

http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/p...angus-reid.aspx

Dont worry Math has a Liberal Bias. Ps the internals of your poll show 20% undecided so yah not really.

People are going to get board of hearing Harper is doing nothing while the country has some Hard times when the quarter numbers come out in Jan and it shows a recession too.

Edited by punked

The last poll done about 4 days ago against Iggy puts Harper at 36-37% and Iggy at 33%. So I think you are dreaming. Quebec is the firewall and Harper isn't gaining anything.

Story CBC

Source

Conservatives @ 44%

Liberals @ 24%

Ignatieff led coalition has 38% support with 50% of Canadians opposed.

70% of Canadians want HArper to stay in power

Source

Edited by Mr.Canada

TAKEN BEFORE IGGY WAS HEAD OF THE PARTY. My poll has Iggy as the head thus it makes sense as opposed to a poll taken on a party which had no leader.

Please cite this pol as I was unaware of this development.

Little is known about him. Wait until he starts speaking and Canadians get to know him, his numbers will drop.

He has lived the last 32 of 35 years out of the country. That's a long time to be out of touch with Canada.

He will never be PM unless by Coupscam.

Please cite this pol as I was unaware of this development.

I read that too, though admittedly, a lot could still change:

Were Ignatieff the leader, 33% would vote Liberal against 38% support for the Conservative party.

Were Rae the leader, 26% would vote Liberal and 41% would vote Conservative.

If Dion can ride out the tumultuous caucus vote and remain leader (which seems unlikely at this point), Liberal support would fall to 22% against a strong 42% for the Conservatives.

http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/p...angus-reid.aspx

http://www.angus-reid.com/polls/view/32387...erals_in_canada

The poll was taken Dec 5-6

Edited by BC_chick

Were Ignatieff the leader, 33% would vote Liberal against 38% support for the Conservative party.

Were Rae the leader, 26% would vote Liberal and 41% would vote Conservative.

The Liberals are partly banking on such polls in their choice of Ignatieff. They believe that he is their ticket back to power.

Ignatieff will be a formidable candidate in Quebec. (Women like Lysiane Gagnon find him attractive.)

I think this whole coalition scheme has done terrible damage to the Liberal "brand" in western Canada so Ignatieff's hopes of making the Liberals a Canadian party will come to naught - Ignatieff is not the guy to do it.

As a rough guess, I give him as many as 30 seats in Quebec, 20-25 in the Maritimes, 70 in Ontario and with luck 5-10 in the West. That's about 130, still shy of a majority.

Harper now has a clear opponent and I venture to argue that the shenanigans of the past two weeks were designed to frame Ignatieff. Harper knows that he's up against a strong Liberal leader with obvious weaknesses.

-----

Returning to the OP, I can't believe that Dumont truly wants to retire to Riviere du Loup and cultivate his tomatoes. Dumont isn't like Frank McKenna or Clyde Wells. Dumont might also like the money the Tories can offer.

Remember, Dumont is not the man the Tories want to tie themselves to if they want to project themselves as a national party against the separatists. Dumont signed the letter to Quebeckers with Bouchard and the Quebec Premier in 1995 telling them that these three people and their parties want Quebec to separate and will move for that. Dumont now doesn't want a referendum but still go into constitutional talks with Ottawa to ask for Quebec to be an autonomous province without representation or much permission from Federal Parliament yet still not totally a country (i.e. passports, military, equalization).

Remember, Dumont is not the man the Tories want to tie themselves to if they want to project themselves as a national party against the separatists. Dumont signed the letter to Quebeckers with Bouchard and the Quebec Premier in 1995 telling them that these three people and their parties want Quebec to separate and will move for that. Dumont now doesn't want a referendum but still go into constitutional talks with Ottawa to ask for Quebec to be an autonomous province without representation or much permission from Federal Parliament yet still not totally a country (i.e. passports, military, equalization).
Harper and Dumont see eye to eye on this question of autonomy.

They both agree that Canada's federal government should have restricted and clear jurisdiction. Dumont announced publicly that he would vote Conservative in the federal elections of 2006 and 2008. The ADQ supported the federal Conservatives in teh past federal election. The federal Conservative seats very roughly overlap with the ADQ seats. It's a good match.

Despite what the Toronto media proclaims, Harper is not a bully/dictator/one-man show. OTOH, Dumont is used to running his own show. (The official name of the ADQ on printed my ballot in the last election was ADQ/Équipe Mario Dumont.)

I don't know if Dumont wants to become a Quebec lieutenant and I don't know if Harper wants to have one.

-----

Moreover, as elsewhere in Canada, provincial politics are not like federal politics. Dumont is primarily a Quebec politician.

Of course, if Harper went ahead with it your opinion would suddenly and profoundly change. You would immediately inform the rest of us how brilliant Harper was for his decision.

Being as I've clearly stated Harper is done after the next election, I still wouldn't like it if Harper picked Dumont. Harper would no longer be able to play the unity card as the Liberals could dig up that Dumont signed along with the separatists in 95. Dumont would be poison for the tories. Should lay off the pot, it's affecting your judgement capabilities.

Harper is looking for someone strong to lead the CPC after he is done. Harper wants to retire from politics on top as PM. He has learned that from watching what happened to Paul Martin and doesn't want to hold onto power for too long, so long that he loses support yet hangs on for pure egotistical reasons. This is based on opinion.