How Would Layton's Family History Help Him In Pq?

I really don't get how having a fascist (Duplessis cabinet minister) grandfather and Mu(sa)lroney cabinet minister father would work in Layton's favour, for younger and middle-aged Quebeckers hate Mulroney while their elders (and just about everyone not affiliated with the CPC, which looking at Free Dominion, has a lot of Duplessis apologist support in Quebec) probably still remember Le Grand Noirceur:

Fortunately for Layton, he's been standing on his own 2 feet since he was barely a teen, working on campaigns for Lesage's Liberals (many of whom might as well have been New Democrats ideologically) and being a New Democat since 1970, having joined in protest of Trudeau's invocation of the War Measures Act.

That WILL help him Quebec, while his family will just come back to haunt him.

I think you have it backwards. No one anywhere cares about Jack's grandpappy. But the people of Quebec won't wholeheartedly support anyone who speaks French with an accent.

The people of the west want someone from out there, if certain posters are to be believed.

And the prejudiced Ontarians vote for people from anywhere, as long as they feel that that their choice can manage the economy.

I heard Layton speaking French in a clip and he's miles ahead of Harper or, gulp, Clement. Layton even has a pronounced Quebec accent in French. He speaks French sort of like Copps.

He's unknown here.

The NDP's basic problem is that if you translate the typical English-Canadian NDP supporter "nationalist, anti-American, government fix-it, do-gooder" into a Quebec version you get "separatist, anti-English, Quebec State fix-it, do gooder". They vote BQ. They regard the NDP as Canadian NDPers regard Howard Dean Democrats. OK, but they're soooo American.

My call now is 55 BQ, 20 Liberal, 0 NDP, 0 CPC in Quebec. The NDP vote is too spread out. I haven't looked at ridings and candidates yet though.

In Quebec, it could be 25 Lib vs. 50 BQ, but I don't see a major shift unless there's a fall election. People are so enraged by this scandal that nobody wants to talk about it anymore. People won't vote BQ, they just won't vote Liberal.

Ontario is the really tough call in this election.

Quebec is still unfamiliar territory for the NDP. They have won a seat there, it was a byelection in 1989 and they won it with well over 50% of the vote. But the polarization between the federalists under the liberals and the separatists under the bloc means that there is little room for other parties.

The polls show the NDP at 8% in Quebec. It might be that they have 8% in every riding. Still, their 8% is higher than the conservatives 6%.

If the NDP is to win any seat, look to Pierre Decasse. Although Jack Layton won the leadership of the party, Pierre won their hearts at the convention...and this young fella is headed places....perhaps the people of his riding will reward such a courageous character with a victory in the HOC, but it will be tough. The seat in question was a runaway victory for the BQ, and it was the home seat of former Prime Minister Brian Mulroney.

• 1 year later...

I think you have it backwards. No one anywhere cares about Jack's grandpappy.

I care about Jack's grandpappy. I lived in his old house on Mayfair Avenue in Montreal for 10 years.

Gilbert did nothing out of the ordinary to piss off the Quebecois, did he? Like every Anglo back then he too probably spat on the "Pepsis" , but nothing out of the ordinary to the best of my knowledge.

Nice to see you're back Michael.

Ru