The Problem with Democracy

August1991

All Canadian borders should be dissolved. Personal wealth abolished. Everyone makes the same amount and the rest going to the government. They will give everyone a house and a car all the same make and model, free.

Free healthcare, pharmacare and University education.

Th government will decide how to best spend money as we aren't smart enough to.

All self expression will be subdued. We are part of the whole. No part is better than the next we are all the same.

If a world government should not have the power "redistribute wealth", why should a government over a smaller territory have that right? What makes that inherently better? In some ways, it makes it less fair.

If it is a government, regardless it is a democracy government or a dictatorship "regime", it has the power to do anything to keep the "system" on which it bases existence and growing stronger. Nothing could protect people from its power, include a "charter". A charter just like all things invented by mankind, can also be modified by people who wrote it, so it will protect nothing if the majority of the people wants rewriting it. This is why our world has not a elected government but has a dictator or police, I mean the US. :P

If there is a country that the (rich+middle class) are minority and the poor are majority, the minority in this country only has a few choices:

1. voluntarily give up their "wealth" to majority to build a democracy country, or wish the majority would be satisfied to keep in poor if they have right to vote out a president;(but for it is the nature that people always put the importance of pursuing wealth beyond pursuring democracy, this case is only a dream exists in Marx's or those democratic activist's books, not in reality.)

2. fund a general or something to be the dictator or grease government officials to protect them from poor majority;(Nazi Germany, the dictators in South America in 1970s and today's China all fit this case.)

3. "division of powers", the minority keep democracy for their own, meanwhile they dictate the majority by sheer tyranny.(the old South Africa for one.)

4. instead of funding schools to train educated citizens, fund clergies and temples to fool those poor illiterate peasants to believe that being poor to serve their high ranked lords is their fate designed by their gods and a gateway to be rised to the higher rank in their afterlife. to build a demorcacy system based on the acknowledgment of hierarchy.

5. leave their country to find another country which rich+middle class is the majority in this country.

In any case, if a government has not power to distribute from wealth to quota of carbon dioxide emission(if the the majority willingly give it the power), it will not be considered as a government. And if a country has not a government, it will no longer be a country. (The UN and the world for one. The majority of the world wanted to give the UN power to stop America making a war in iraq, but America made the war, just becaues the UN is not a government but merely an organization. And since the UN is only an organization, the world is not a country.)

Edited by xul

Final corollary: When the NDP (or Obama) advocates taxing the rich to pay for transfers or services to teh ppor, why do they stop at the borders of Canada? Are the poor eslewhere in the world less deserving than Canada's poor? By world standards, Canada's "poor" are well off.

I agree with you on that point. Why give to the poor when you can give to the poorest of the poor? Of course, poor people in Africa and Asia don't vote, and most people in Canada couldn't care less about them.

Sometimes I wonder why our democracy works so poorly. Then I read postings like these and I marvel it works at all. :(

Maybe if we had a economic system that did a better job of distributing the wealth equitably, we'd have less need for wealth redistribution. And you guys could worry about something more important.

• 1 month later...
Sometimes I wonder why our democracy works so poorly. Then I read postings like these and I marvel it works at all. :(

Maybe if we had a economic system that did a better job of distributing the wealth equitably, we'd have less need for wealth redistribution. And you guys could worry about something more important.

Yes, it is called education. Don't expect the government to give you that, or you will end up working for faceless organizations that are, for the most part, supported by or of the government to make life "work".

All in the name of "progress".