Harper raises prospect of Prime Minister Dion

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/081009/...edelxn_harper_3

Stephen Harper has raised the prospect of "Prime Minister Dion" in an unorthodox but calculated Conservative bid to sharpen the choices faced by voters just a long weekend away from decision day.

In normal times, a campaigning prime minister would never confer the top title onto his chief opponent. But these are not normal times for a Conservative party that has watched its safe, commanding lead in public opinion polls melt away over the last week.

Strange strategy in the last days.

Maybe their internal polling on strategic voting has them scared,

I'm scared. I'll go on record right now saying I think that we are more likely to see a Liberal government than a Conservative one. Harper's campaign has been terrible. Dion's hasn't been great but Harper completely blew it by speaking honestly about current economic conditions. That might sound funny, but it was a huge mistake to tell people the Canadian economy is doing fine and that they should be looking to buy in the stock markets right now. Personally, I was way ahead of him on that one and have secured credit and savings so I can play vulture on the stock market, but it's certainly NOT what Ontarions and Quebecquers wanted to hear.

To be honest, I'm not even sure what my fellow Ontarions wanted to hear. Did they want to hear Harper would spend into deficit to maintain liquidity in the market? A dip in the red would likely have the average Canadian pulling their hair out.

When fiscal (government spending) policy is proven to be (along with central bank interest rate adjustments) the only effective ways to absorb short term shocks to the economy, what is ANYONE going to be able to do about the economy? Nothing, but most people don't know that and I don't expect them to.

Take heart from knowing that Canadian Banking regulation over the last 30 years has been extremely strong in Canada and will continue to be.

I'm scared. I'll go on record right now saying I think that we are more likely to see a Liberal government than a Conservative one. Harper's campaign has been terrible. Dion's hasn't been great but Harper completely blew it by speaking honestly about current economic conditions. That might sound funny, but it was a huge mistake to tell people the Canadian economy is doing fine and that they should be looking to buy in the stock markets right now.

It does sound funny. Last night I watched Adrianne Carr blow everyone away in a townhall-like debate on CBC. She attributed her win to being honest about the need to raise taxes.

So are you still planning to vote for a leader that blows things and makes huge mistakes right at the most critical time?

It does sound funny. Last night I watched Adrianne Carr blow everyone away in a townhall-like debate on CBC. She attributed her win to being honest about the need to raise taxes.

I think I might have seen that. Was that the low-budget and balogna debate on the CBC between relative nobodies?

So are you still planning to vote for a leader that blows things and makes huge mistakes right at the most critical time?

He blew it by overestimating the intelligence of voters in Ontario and Quebec and underestimating their ignorance in terms of anything politcally related.

Actually, he and Gloria Kovach already have my vote thanks to the advanced polls. I've never been able to vote for someone so attractive before. Gloria's pretty cute.

Edited by Moonbox

Personally, I was way ahead of him on that one and have secured credit and savings so I can play vulture on the stock market, but it's certainly NOT what Ontarions and Quebecquers wanted to hear.

Might be a while before you should invest. Stock market in Canada dived 5% today. Dollar is down to the lowest level since 2007. Confidence is waning in the government's rescue package. And credit is still being strangled.

The fact that Tory supporters seem to blame this all on Dion is laughable. No one even mentions the Canadian election as having any influence on what the market is doing.

One of Canada's top companies, Blackberry, is becoming vulnerable because of the plunge in share prices. Maybe bye bye to a Canadian success story.

Might be a while before you should invest. Stock market in Canada dived 5% today. Dollar is down to the lowest level since 2007. Confidence is waning in the government's rescue package. And credit is still being strangled.

The fact that Tory supporters seem to blame this all on Dion is laughable. No one even mentions the Canadian election as having any influence on what the market is doing.

One of Canada's top companies, Blackberry, is becoming vulnerable because of the plunge in share prices. Maybe bye bye to a Canadian success story.

I thought a low dollar was good?

Can you please tell me what the markets will be doing tomorrow and next week?

What does the US bailout have to do with conditions here?

Who is blaming this on Dion? The way I see it, it is being blamed on Harper, no?

Where is the evidence that RIM is vulnerable due to stock price?

More lies.

For many voters, it will boil down to this. Are Harper's gaffes enough to make me vote for Dion who is determined to bring in the Green Shift?

The Green Shift may be the best thing since sliced bread. But the Green Shift involves the economy big time. Are Canadians willing to take a chance on it? IMO that's a major question the voters will ask themselves as they prepare to vote.

I thought a low dollar was good?

Any large fluctuations upwards or downwards puts pressure on businesses.

Can you please tell me what the markets will be doing tomorrow and next week?

Sure, but then you would have to pay for my consultation fees.

What does the US bailout have to do with conditions here?

It is causing a credit crunch in Canada. Flaherty has indicated as such today. You didn't see that?

Who is blaming this on Dion? The way I see it, it is being blamed on Harper, no?

The National Post edirorial is baming Dion today. You didn't see that either?

Where is the evidence that RIM is vulnerable due to stock price?

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/reuters/081009/...s_canada_stocks

BlackBerry maker Research In Motion bucked the trend, adding 5.4 percent to finish at C$67.65. However, some analysts are starting to speculate whether the recent plunge in its share price could lead to a takeover bid.
More lies.

See above. Now is that a lie?

Any large fluctuations upwards or downwards puts pressure on businesses.

Large fluctations meaning what, exactly? The slow and steady decline down to the high 80s/low 90s, as we've seen?

Sure, but then you would have to pay for my consultation fees.

Thought so. Like everyone else, you have no idea what the markets will do tomorrow, let alone after that.

It is causing a credit crunch in Canada. Flaherty has indicated as such today. You didn't see that?

Let's see the quotation you're relying on to show that there is a credit crisis in Canada. Or perhaps you're relying on your LPC talking points and spin?

The National Post edirorial is baming Dion today. You didn't see that either?

Please provide quotations. I know you're not very good at these, though.

bahahahaha. Mere speculation that RIM might get taken over, based on, well, nothing? That's all you have?

I'm scared. I'll go on record right now saying I think that we are more likely to see a Liberal government than a Conservative one. Harper's campaign has been terrible. Dion's hasn't been great but Harper completely blew it by speaking honestly about current economic conditions.

Rarely am I surprised by posts. Yours did that.

Do you really believe Dion will get elected PM? I have not liked either campaign to be honest, from Dion not being focused enough on what he will do, to Harpers insistence on concentrating the focus on Dion. The Harper ads saying "Dion this and that" have in some way hurt them. I think it stems from arrogance on his part.

The only way I see your prognostication coming true is through the strategic voting stuff going on.Should Dion get in, a lot of people will go "....wtf..that wasnt supposed to happen" An attempt to give Harper a minority (which I want by the way) may in fact backfire and give Dion the minority.

I hope most people want Harper to weather this storm. He does have my confidence insofar as the economy goes. Confidence/arrogance I think serves him well in that regard. As for the rest, not so much.

I like DIon more than I did a month ago, I found his english to be better (although I seem to be alone in that regard) but his platform lacking, or better yet, confusing." Will we pay more or less..?"

I feel that Harper has an image problem that just wont go away. Yes, I think a lot of people still hold the scary scary stuff in their mind. Right or wrong, the optics are what will decide it for the voters. I feel that there is something to it, and that a majority win by Harper will get this country some policies that most dont like. And no, before anyone goes off, I dont mean the soldiers on the streets dumb stuff, but social/world issues that we have always had.

From a purely "image" angle, the one person who has run a good campaign is Layton. His message sucks, he is for everything I dont want, but the image shown on the ads is impressive. I suspect he will garner votes from those who do not know his agenda, but thinks he looks good. Crazy? Why yes it is, but some of the voters of this country rely on looks and image.

what is ANYONE going to be able to do about the economy? Nothing, but most people don't know that and I don't expect them to.

Ask Bob Rae. He should have known when he was in power, but he tried to stem things. His legacy has been shattered because of it.

Take heart from knowing that Canadian Banking regulation over the last 30 years has been extremely strong in Canada and will continue to be.

US banks look at our banks with envy with the products our banks can sell but they cannot. On the other hand, regulation makes them nervous.

I hope.....my hope, is that Harper gets a minority, learns to communicate and remove all secrecy with the electorate and we will try this all again in a matter of ...oh about 3 years, if not less.

Large fluctations meaning what, exactly? The slow and steady decline down to the high 80s/low 90s, as we've seen?

You think this is slow and steady?

Thought so. Like everyone else, you have no idea what the markets will do tomorrow, let alone after that.

I think I know enough to know that I don't want Harper as leader of Canada to instill market confidence.

Let's see the quotation you're relying on to show that there is a credit crisis in Canada. Or perhaps you're relying on your LPC talking points and spin?

I think we know you are using the Conservative attack plan. How many pages does it run now.

http://www.reuters.com/article/rbssFinanci...930555720081009

The failure of Canadian banks on Wednesday to pass on to borrowers all of the Bank of Canada's interest rate cut is of concern but it reflects the realities of the credit crunch, Finance Minister Jim Flaherty said on Thursday.
Please provide quotations. I know you're not very good at these, though.

http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/f...tical-gain.aspx

Layton and Dion are stoking panic for political gain.

You don't seem very up to date on things.

bahahahaha. Mere speculation that RIM might get taken over, based on, well, nothing? That's all you have?

Actually based on declining stock shares. You asked for a cite. There it is.

Reuters is lying? Please. The hyperpartisan support from the Tory warroom must be making some of their supporters frothy mouthed from the non-stop attacks.

The Green Shift may be the best thing since sliced bread.

And like sliced bread, over rated and prone to go stale faster.

The prospect of a Dion government.....!!!

One of the better things in my mind with a conservative majority is the turfing of Dion so the liberals can rebuild and reclain the centre.

You think this is slow and steady?

Yep.

I think I know enough to know that I don't want Harper as leader of Canada to instill market confidence.

Well looky here, capitulation? Market bottom?

And yet you're still being vague and evsive.

I think we know you are using the Conservative attack plan. How many pages does it run now.

zzzzzz...

Actually based on declining stock shares. You asked for a cite. There it is.

Reuters is lying? Please. The hyperpartisan support from the Tory warroom must be making some of their supporters frothy mouthed from the non-stop attacks.

So, RIM's shares are down which means it's now failed? That it will be bought out and eliminated?

You're the one who took the baseless leap of faith, not me.

So, RIM's shares are down which means it's now failed? That it will be bought out and eliminated?

You're the one who took the baseless leap of faith, not me.

Actually, you asked for some indication that it might be in play because of low shares. I gave you the example.

It wouldn't be the first time a Canadian tech company was in play because of low shares. Remember Spar? The Tories stopped the sell, remember? Would they stop RIM too?