Obama McCain Debate

Well, another format that doesn't lend itself to actual debate.

It was rather boring to be honest.

Some of the analysts are saying a modest win for Obama.

Silliest comment: The one where McCain called Obama "that one" and himself "this one."

Anyways, if you are as bored as I was you can find out what your Baby Palin name is:

Mine is Stick Freedom Palin.

http://politsk.blogspot.com/2008/09/sarah_13.html

Edited by jdobbin

Guest American Woman

I wish I had a dollar for every time McCain said "my friends." B)

From CNN:

Quick Vote

Who fared better in Tuesday's presidential debate?

Sen. John McCain 13% 1706

Sen. Barack Obama 84% 10923

No clear winner 3% 347

Total Votes: 12976

Guest American Woman
......even more meaningless than CNN.

You got that right. Especially since the Drudge poll you cited was totally wrong regarding the VP debates, while the CNN poll called it correctly. :)

Guest American Woman
Sure it did.....in your mind. I prefer to think for myself.

:lol:

No, not in my mind. In reality. But since your desires and reality are two very different things, I can see why you "prefer to think for [yourself]," which really means 'to hell with reality, I'll think whatever I want to think.' :P

No, not in my mind. In reality. But since your desires and reality are two very different things, I can see why you "prefer to think for [yourself]," which really means 'to hell with reality, I'll think whatever I want to think.' :P

Cling to your polls and role models if you need them.

Guest American Woman
Cling to your polls and role models if you need them.

:lol:

Someone's got a bad case of "sour grapes." I won't name any names, but if he were Palin's child, his name would be Vise Peeper Palin. :lol:

JoJo the Psychic Chicken also declaring Obama the winner, and JoJo was also right on the VP debate.

Silliest comment: The one where Obama called Obama "that one" and himself "this one."

I'm confused... did you mean to say Obama called McCain "that one" and himself "This one"? Or McCain called Obama "that one" and himself "this one"?

Anyways, if you are as bored as I was you can find out what your Baby Palin name is:

Mine is Stick Freedom Palin.

http://politsk.blogspot.com/2008/09/sarah_13.html

Mine is Strangle Thicket Palin!

-stp

Edited by kimmy

I'm confused... did you mean to say Obama called McCain "that one" and himself "This one"? Or McCain called Obama "that one" and himself "this one"?

Just corrected it to say Obama. Thanks.

Mine is Strangle Thicket Palin!

-stp

Very Alaska!

Guest American Woman
JoJo the Psychic Chicken also declaring Obama the winner, and JoJo was also right on the VP debate.

Interesting. Evidently there's a psychic chicken out there that's smarter than some of the people on this board. ;)

Well, another format that doesn't lend itself to actual debate.

It was rather boring to be honest.

I found it rather boring, too. In fact, my daughter and I planned our spring break trip during the middle of it. I think it's partly because the format doesn't lend itself to actual debate, as you pointed out. It's really just a question and answer session. Not sure why they refer to it as a debate, but if they could actually debate, it would be a lot more interesting.

I actually found this "debate" hard to watch-- it was sort of uncomfortable at times. Poor Tom Brokaw kept trying to keep Obama and McCain within the agreed upon one minute time frame, but neither one was listening to his pleas, that much was obvious. And really, how much can one say in one minute?

Edited by American Woman

Hate to say it, but I think that debate was McCain's last gasp. Watching those lines on the bottom of the screen, there is no way he can win a debate when he is tied to Bush, much less an election.

At least he did not go stuipid and try personal attacks. He gave a good fight against incredible odds, and it would spoil things if he was remembered for a couple desperate cheap shots.

At least he did not go stuipid and try personal attacks. He gave a good fight against incredible odds, and it would spoil things if he was remembered for a couple desperate cheap shots.

He should have told the audience that his Baby Palin name is Steam Fangs Palin. No lie. Type it in yourself. lol

Interesting. Evidently there's a psychic chicken out there that's smarter than some of the people on this board. ;)

Well, JoJo is calling for an 8 point margin of victory for Obama.

When the real polls come out, we'll see if JoJo the psychic chicken is smarter than your CNN Quick-Poll and its 71 point margin.

-k

Edited by kimmy

I actually found this "debate" hard to watch-- it was sort of uncomfortable at times. Poor Tom Brokaw kept trying to keep Obama and McCain within the agreed upon one minute time frame, but neither one was listening to his pleas, that much was obvious. And really, how much can one say in one minute?

Both certainly seemed to blow past the rules of the debate format.

McCain looked old and frustrated. He didn't do too bad in the debate but he wasn't wowing them in the seats, it seemed.

The economic blows are making everything seem more heavy and depressing. Unfortunately, McCain is tied more to what is happening than Obama is.

Harper must sympathize since he is getting tagged with the economy too. By the way, his Baby Palin name is Tangle Jig Palin.

Guest American Woman
Well, JoJo is calling for an 8 point margin of victory for Obama.

When the real polls come out, we'll see if JoJo the psychic chicken is smarter than your CNN Quick-Poll and its 71 point margin.

-k

You just keep plugging away at it, don't you? :lol: a bajillion times over.

I think JoJo the Chicken is smart enough to figure out that I don't think the CNN poll is scientific. I think that for 2 reasons: 1) I've stated that several times, and 2) it appears as if he's smarter than you are. :D

Congratulations to Obama you were the winner at saying....nothing. In fact either candidate really didn't answer the questions directly. Maybe you guys should stop worrying about who won the debate and start paying attention to what substance you can actually pull from the hour long hodge podge of Bullshit, attacks on the other opponent, and something actually worth saying. Frankly I don't give a good god damn who wins this election anymore. Real change in this country is going to come from the people not the politicans.

Seems McCain pissed off scientists in the last debate:

McCain probably shouldn't count on the "science vote" this year.

That was the sort of argument you know is completely dishonest without even having to check into it. Three million dollars for an "overhead projector" for ...a planetarium? He was obviously trying to pass it off as a typical classroom projector with an exorbitantly wasteful pricetag, but the projectors at most world-class planetariums would probably cost at least $3m and are not the first thing I would point to as being an example of typical government waste.

Seems McCain pissed off scientists in the last debate:

McCain probably shouldn't count on the "science vote" this year.

I don't know about the debate, but after the global warming denial, support for "intelligent design", and the editing of science at NASA, I think the social conservatives have pretty ,much screwed McCain among the "Scientific vote".

McCain is a rational man, but Sarah "Ban a book" Palin does not help in that respect.

Silliest comment: The one where McCain called Obama "that one" and himself "this one."

You have the quote wrong. Had it been the way you wrote it, it wouldn't have been so bad, but what happened was McCain asked who voted a certain way on a bill and and something like, "would you believe I did [vote for the bill]? But do you know who didn't? That one."

The use of "that one" is very reminiscent of my Irish mom and other women of her generation (around McCain's age) who use "that one" with a high degree of frustration. You can just hear the venom in it when my mom says it, and you can kind of hear it (and the disrespect) in McCain's voice, too.

Overall, though, the debate was a win for Obama. In the first debate, each accomplished what he needed to accomplish. In this one, Obama came across as warmer and more directly addressing the questions. McCain needed to get off the ropes. He didn't. This was an even bigger win for Obama than the first debate.