Hilarious Video: Tory Culture Cuts

As of now, La Presse, RDI, Radio-Canada, CTV and the CBC tv have talked about it and how to see it. Considering that the video shows three big stars in Québec, all well loved, for a decade or more, this is likely to have an impact on Harper.

This video is only a preview, as it announces a large show by numerous artists who denounce the culture cuts. The full video will be released the next day.

Even Charest has denounced these cuts.

As of now, La Presse, RDI, Radio-Canada, CTV and the CBC tv have talked about it and how to see it. Considering that the video shows three big stars in Québec, all well loved, for a decade or more, this is likely to have an impact on Harper.

This video is only a preview, as it announces a large show by numerous artists who denounce the culture cuts. The full video will be released the next day.

Even Charest has denounced these cuts.

The federal government spends over three billion on arts and culture through thousands of programs. The "outrage" expressed is over cutting $45 million from, I think 3 programs, which constitutes about 1.5% of total grants, and even much of that is intended to be redirected towards other cultural initiatives, the government says.

If I were Harper I would love for the opposition pinheads to bring this up in the debate, I would say.

"Let me get this straight. The federal government spends over three billion on arts and cultural programs spread over thousands of programs, which, by the way, is more than the previous Liberal government spent. Is Mr. Dion stating here and now that not one of those cultural programs can ever be cut or withdrawn for any reason, forever, even if it's failing, even if the money is being redirected to another cultural program? Please answer yes or no."

How do you think Dion would deal with that? I imagine a long period of tongue-tied confusion and fumbling.

Edited by Argus

The federal government spends over three billion on arts and culture through thousands of programs. The "outrage" expressed is over cutting $45 million from, I think 3 programs, which constitutes about 1.5% of total grants, and even much of that is intended to be redirected towards other cultural initiatives, the government says.

If I were Harper I would love for the opposition pinheads to bring this up in the debate, I would say.

"Let me get this straight. The federal government spends over three billion on arts and cultural programs spread over thousands of programs, which, by the way, is more than the previous Liberal government spent. Is Mr. Dion stating here and now that not one of those cultural programs can ever be cut or withdrawn for any reason, forever, even if it's failing, even if the money is being redirected to another cultural program? Please answer yes or no."

How do you think Dion would deal with that? I imagine a long period of tongue-tied confusion and fumbling.

I agree Argus but in the political world, I think you may be wrong.

This ad refers to a $4.7 million programme that helped certain artists travel abroad. For a paltry $4.7 million, the Tories have invited this reaction. Verner can try to argue that they are spending more in fact but it's the $4.7 million cut that will attract attention.

There are several ways to view this. One, many Canadian taxpayers are fed up of these hand-outs and so this whining will just help the Tories. (I don't think Michel Rivard was planning to vote for the Conservatives so this ad, while funny, matters squat in the grand scheme of things. The people it appeals to were never going to vote Tory anyway.)

Two, Quebecers are prepared to support through their taxes cultural activities. Maybe the federal government should severely limit its subsidies to cultural groups and leave this up to provincial or municipal governments. I suspect that they would spend the money more wisely.

A new Liberal government will double the budget of the Canada Council for the Arts to $360 million annually, while simultaneously reversing the cuts recently announced by the Conservative government to arts and culture, said Liberal Leader Stéphane Dion today.

“Canada’s diverse arts and cultural community plays an important role in our national identity,” said Mr. Dion. “We are committed to helping revitalize a vital sector of the Canadian economy that is under threat by Prime Minister Stephen Harper’s ideologically driven mismanagement.”

“We need to make it easier to make movies in Canada, not more difficult. That is why a Liberal government will increase the Canadian Film or Video Production Tax Credit to 30 per cent. This measure will help create more high-quality jobs in an industry that already employs over 125,000 people,” said Mr. Dion.

Mr. Dion also committed to reverse the $45 million in program cuts the Harper Conservative government has imposed on Canada’s arts community since taking office.

---

Mr. Dion further committed that a future Liberal government will increase international arts promotion programming, vital programs that increase Canada’s exposure on the world stage by $26 million over four years, while increasing the Museum Assistance Program by $16 million, also over four years.

---

Mr. Dion also vowed to protect artistic freedom in Canada and promised that a new Liberal government will also stop Conservative attempts to grant the Minister of Heritage sweeping powers to censor films produced in Canada.

http://www.liberal.ca/story_14757_e.aspx

There. That should ensure a resurgence of Liberal support in Quebec. :rolleyes:

Edited by capricorn

As for a biting political satirical video making waves on the Internet by Quebec singer-songwriter Michel Rivard, Harper said it's been described to him, but he hasn't seen it.

It's a savage portrayal of a Conservative arts funding panel and their censorious ways.

"It's got nothing to do with how we actually do arts grants, but I hear it's very funny," he said.

Toronto Star

Why support culture when you can give another tax break to the rich?